Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using 2 brass nocks above the arrow and a cushion nock below the arrow. This adds alot of weight in the middle of the string. If I change this to a couple string nocks and a dloop, how much speed increase do you think I would get.

Another question is can I just tie in 2 string nocks? One above and one below the arrow, and then attach my caliper release to the string under the bottom string nock? That way I dont have to shorten my draw.

Another idea might be a string nock above and an eliminator button below the arrow nock.

What do you guys think?

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,420 Posts
I'm going to guess you may gain up to 2-5 fps. You can mount your d-loop under the arrow and get away with a much shorter loop. This shouldn't change your anchor much, if any. I use BCY B500 string material for tieing in nocks, etc. Ties in and melts very well.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree with EPLC. I was thinking closer to 5 fps with all that junk you've got on the string;) . BCY 500 works great. I use a loop above and below the two nocks. It is only 1/2" long, but I hunt with a Carter Fits Me, so I can get away with it. I also add a very LIGHT coat of fletch tite to the nock after tying it, to firm things up. You could try the a loop below the nock, but watch out (i assume this is your hunting rig) for pinching around the release head. Not a problem with most target releases, but might not get a real clean release with a release that has a wide jaw.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My hunting release is a Truball tornado, double caliper design. Would it be better to use a string nock on the bottom, or an eliminator button.

The dloop above and below the 2 string nocks is a good idea?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I would use a string nock. You really don't need an eliminator button with your loop. You won't get any wear on your release.
I've noticed those buttons tend to give nock pinch also.

There is no problem with putting your loop around hand tied nocks. When tied properly they are at least as secure (if not more secure) than brass nocks. Alot of serious shooters in our area, hunters and target, use this set up.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I will try 2 string nock first and see how it does with my release under the bottom nock. If it pinches or doesnt shoot as well as I would like, I will add a dloop above and below the string nocks. Thanks again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
On my hunting set-ups, I have shoot -for the last 5 years - a nock set above the arrow and one about 1/4" below the arrow with fantastic results. I do not like the rubber eliminator buttons. I also use the easton 3-D nocks which have an indent in them to prevent nock damage from the nock set.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
wk, chronogarph tests I've done on 3 different bows show
8- 10 fps slower with just one brass nock versus a string
loop.. I don't have a clue as to the difference between
two tied nocks versus brass nocks...I was really surprised
it was 8 -10 fps, I had thought before hand it would be
3-4 fps.. I was pleasantly surprised.. been shooting a
string loop ever since..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I didn't even know you were supposed to use nocks with a loop.
I've been using a string loop,period. No brass nocks or anything else. The loop knots are close together as to just fit the nock without pinching. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
no, it's fine,, some folks also use a brass nock or tied nock
on top of the string loop to make sure it doesn't move.. for
added insurance... if you're not having a problem with your
nocking point moving, I wouldn't worry about it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts