Archery Talk Forum banner

Morrell Super Duper Has not stood it Toll!!

2K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  jackdale1970 
#1 ·
I bought a Morrell Super Duper in June it was what i thought the best target i had ever owned. Well them high hopes were shattered yesterday. I got a Passthrough on it from 40 yards. I shoot 295 fps with a 410 grain arrow and i shoot 200-500 shots a week into it. I know no target will last forever but 3.5 months after paying 60+ bucks on a bag. I never shot nothing but FPs into this bag so whats UP?? anyone else had this with the wildfire series target? How is the 2 year warranty :confused: Because i got 3.5 months out of mine.. HELP PLEASE I like this bag, actually i LOVE this bag but ???? is it a flaw 50+ lbs wont be cheap to return ship??

#3 ·
I bought the YellowJacket. Assuming the internal structure is close to the Wildfire series, here's my 2 cents. I'm shooting a 390 gr arrow at 270 FPS and it's almost going through the target. I haven't even flipped it around yet. The back-side already has a huge bow (not the kind you shoot) from the arrows penetrating so far. I also have reservations about how long it will last.

Another thing I noticed is that it is super LOUD when an arrow strikes it. My cheapy Delta that I replaced was filling with window screen and stopped arrows much quicker and quieter until the bag rotted off it.

#5 ·
I am always shooting at seperate spots (like 16 spots on this bag)and spining bag from front to back and I only shoot a group if it is 40 yards or farther. I have emailed them this morning and i am waiting for a reply if i dont recive a reply today i will call them tomorrow. I was contemplating a homemade compressed style target but thought after shooting one of these it wouldnt be worth the time because this should last a while and i wouldnt have to pick up shreds like with the BLOCK type targets. I hope it is a flaw in the FLOATING CENTER but i am not sure that is the case. I wa splanning on getting 3 more of these before that to make a range out of being i shoot so much but NOW I DONT KNOW??

#6 ·
Call Morrell

Tell them your story. Thing I can say is you cant shoot the same spot over and over. No target will take that.

#7 ·
I recently had an issue with a Morell Quick stop target. I Had just bought the bag but it was old stock from a shop and Morrell does not even make the target anymore. So I wrote them an email and guess what I get an email back from Bernie Morrell asking me to give him a call.

I call him and I tell him what is going on. He explains to me that there is no warranty on the Quick Stop and that the target is last years model but he will see what he can do. 4 days later I come home to a brand new target on the porch.

By far Morrell has the best bag targets on the market. I am the proud owner of 4. Give them a call and see what they can do.

I shot a ton of arrows at thesae bags and this is the first issue I have ever had. However there are a feww things you can do to make them last longer. Always spread your shooting out across all of the spots. Make a stand to hang the target and hang it from the top allowing the bottom to swing (this gives the bag alittle extra to absorb the shot). Every couple of hundered shoots take the target down and stomp it to move the filling around. Buy a new cover for it when you start gettign large wholes and it is back to 90% of new.

#8 ·
I shoot 295 fps with a 410 grain arrow and i shoot 200-500 shots a week into it.
good god there isn't much made that will take that, especially if your shooting groups at the same spot, which you more than likely are.

you want the biggest bag target area you can get, seems the bigger they are the longer they last.

you must be pullin some weight and a longer draw length cause that's fast for that arrow weight
I think you are a bit unrealistic in you expecations of a target.

#9 · (Edited)
I am not asking much i didnt bash the maker of the target i was just curious if anyone had the same problem. If read above i only shoot groups at 40+ yards period. I always shoot difrent spots even when shooting groups. The bow i am shooting is a Old Glory at 70 lbs with a 29 inch draw. it may be a little more than most get out of a setup but not the worst at all. I have pics but forgot my camera and i am at work right now. I just want to know is this what is to be expected out of these targets and if their warranty is up to parr. I have contacted them through Email BECAUSE it was 4 a.m. and they wasnt open and if i didnt get time to call today i could have the ball rolling for tomorrow. I am waiting patient as can be and still wont bash them because they seem to be a good target and i hope to resovlve the issue with them and continue shooting into a morrell target even if i have to get abigger target. I would think 40+ yards would be far enough to not damage a target to badly considering i shoot 3 maybe 4 arrow groups. At 20 and 30 i always shoot at diffrent spots too. As i usually do at 40 with my groups. And besides my expectation on a product with a 2 year warranty would be better than 3.5 months any way i look at it. And nowhere on the target or warranty does it say DONT SHOOT GROUPs I understand you cant for target wear but would figure at 40 yards without pileing arrow after arrow next to each other it would last longer than this.

#10 ·
Just for kicks, what arrows and FP's are you guys shooting? Anyone think it matters? I would think KE would dictate penetration more than FP shape.

I'm not sure what's in the Morrell for "stuffing," but I do know that the window screen in my last bag never broke down. Guess I shoulda just rebagged that and kept shooting.

#11 ·
bag targets

I must be getting super quality targets....never have had an issue with either of the two Yellow Jackets I own. I recovered last years bag with a replacement cover, and donated it to our Sportsman's club for an additional warm up target...still holding up well. My target get shot, alot...perhaps as much as an average of 75-100 arrows per day, and no problems at all. We shoot seperate spots, turn the target every day or two, and "fluff" it every few days. By "fluffing", I mean we take the target and toss it up and let it hit the ground...kick it around, stomp it...you get the picture. Lets the packing get redistributed, preventing the pass thru-near pass thru and bulging in the back that some have described. A little maintenance will go along ways towards keeping your bag shootable.

#12 ·
Yep i have done all that if read above. I am getting that i may have a flaw in the center of the target, Which i hope is the case and it will be fixed by the company I HOPE!! I really like the TARGET.

Also the email was very civil and I explained to him the same i have to all of you, on the way it was shot, what it was shot with, and how long i have had it. I am sure they will remedy this BUT was curious if anyone else had the same thing happen to their MORRELL targets.

#13 ·
18javelin said:
Yep i have done all that if read above. I am getting that i may have a flaw in the center of the target, Which i hope is the case and it will be fixed by the company I HOPE!! I really like the TARGET.

Also the email was very civil and I explained to him the same i have to all of you, on the way it was shot, what it was shot with, and how long i have had it. I am sure they will remedy this BUT was curious if anyone else had the same thing happen to their MORRELL targets.
I have morrel outdoor range targets and I can usually get 2 years out of them. that's leaving them outside 24/7. then I buy a new cover and put it on.

#14 ·
Just curious, do you have the bag hanging, or leaning up against something. I know they will last a lot longer if they are haning and are able swing a bit when hit. The bag targets stop the arrows by absorbing the energy. If they have some give on impact, it greatly reduces the stress to the internal material.

#15 ·
jwoods said:
Just curious, do you have the bag hanging, or leaning up against something. I know they will last a lot longer if they are haning and are able swing a bit when hit. The bag targets stop the arrows by absorbing the energy. If they have some give on impact, it greatly reduces the stress to the internal material.
hanging, you can make a stand out of 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe. but next I'm going to make a wood box and hang it in there as the ears rot out from hanging outside. should last longer if out of direct sunshine and rain.

#16 ·
Mine is on the ground because i am Moving right now to a new house and the old frame it hung from needs rebuilt. It also dosent require you to do that BUT i know it helps. Just thought it would last long enough to get it to the new house when it is done. I will in the future have a covered target stand at my new house because of the fadeing of the targets alone.

#17 ·
Bees said:
good god there isn't much made that will take that, especially if your shooting groups at the same spot, which you more than likely are.

you want the biggest bag target area you can get, seems the bigger they are the longer they last.

you must be pullin some weight and a longer draw length cause that's fast for that arrow weight
I think you are a bit unrealistic in you expecations of a target.
That's what i was thinking:confused:

I have a Magic Stop block target and i think that it's pretty much garbage. I had one replaced already after about three months of shooting. I actually added four dots to it so that it would last longer but i broke down and called my archery guy and he took care of it. Both he and Magic Stop said there is no reason the target should have worn like it did.....so i got a new one (free replacement) and it's holding up a little better but not by much.
I'm only shooting at the MOST 260 fps with about a 310-320 grain arrow.

#18 ·
I recived a return email from Bernie Morrell and he wanted me to give him a call. I did BUT he was at lunch i will get back with him soon and let you all know what went down, I will bet they take care of it. It seems when you talk to THE man everything works out better. SO FAR I would rate them at a 11 on the 10 scale just for returning my email within 3-4 hours.

#19 ·
Top Notch!!!!

These guys ROCK they took care of me actually got me to upgrade they told me the outdoor range is built better than the super duper!! they will get it done and done good and quick. They are giving me a reduced rate on the outdoor range for the super duper i send back. TOP NOTCH!!

#20 ·
18javelin said:
These guys ROCK they took care of me actually got me to upgrade they told me the outdoor range is built better than the super duper!! they will get it done and done good and quick. They are giving me a reduced rate on the outdoor range for the super duper i send back. TOP NOTCH!!
they are a good company good luck with the outdoor range target.

#21 ·
You should be shooting different sopts on the bag and turning it ever day or so. I take mine after shooting it and lay it face down on the side I have been shooting and I walk (stomp) all over the back side. I have not had anything even close to a pass through yet doing this.

If your bag is buldging out on the back you definitely need to so this.

#26 ·
Morrell makes good targets

And is a good company.

Outdoor range is the only target I have ever used.

Have two and both work great. One has a new cover and is over 6 yrs old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.