Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the rule that is in the books, but no one ever bothers to abide by it? Either because they don't know about it, it's totally asinine, or outdated by equipment advances? Let's hear it. I'm a fairly rookie field shooter, and this kind of info goes a long way.

Jeremiah

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
My guess would be the speed rule.

My guess for second would be shooting the wrong target.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Rules aren't ignored because they are asinine honestly....some may confuse a few people but they make sense for the most part. play the game first :wink:

The rule that is most broken is which target to shoot or shooting from the correct side....and you will get dinged for it on your score card.

There are no equipment rules that come into effect....new vs old really. The only thing that could even fall in that category is the speed limit and it's 300 fps.

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
Oh boy - I feel the boat rocking already.

But here goes.

I'll use a Hoyt setup just as an example, but I'm sure this can be applied to practically every compound bow maker.

I'm by NO MEANS an expert on Hoyt cams, but it is my understanding that bow X with Y limbs and Spiral cams will produce a higher FPS than the same set up using Cam 1/2.

It would stand to reason then that the energy being provided to the arrow is "increased" due to the cam.

If that is the case then the following is being violated as cams are NOT considered part of the string.

2. Compound bows may be used, provided:
2.1 Basic design includes a handle riser (grip) and flexible limbs.
2.2 Total arrow propelling energy is developed from a flexing of the materials employed in limb construction.
2.3 Weight reduction factor is of no consequence.
2.4 Bows which develop any portion of arrow propelling energy from sources “other than the limbs” shall not be allowed. This is not to be construed to mean that compound bows which employ other sources of arrow propelling energy, not specifically listed in this paragraph, will be allowed.
2.5 The cables of the compound bow shall be considered as part of the string and all applicable string rules except color requirements shall apply

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
While the boat is still rocking - ever seen anyone shooting BHFS with both a peep sight and a kisser button or maybe even a little serving tied to their string where it should touch their nose? :nono:

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
Hang on - the ride is getting bumpy

Appears to me that having either your front or back foot on the distance marker is a violation.

The archer must straddle an imaginary shooting line, which is marked by the distance stake and parallel to the target face, while shooting the required arrows.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Does a National Champ count?

I'm not sure that what you're thinking is an enforced rule anymore or not though.

While the boat is still rocking - ever seen anyone shooting BHFS with both a peep sight and a kisser button or maybe even a little serving tied to their string where it should touch their nose? :nono:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Sometimes my BHFS rig had serving on the cables that the ends would miraculously line up at full draw.

I think you're wrong on post#4. The spirals impart more energy into the limbs on the draw because we put more effort into drawing them, so we get more energy out of the limbs for propulsion than the standard C.5s.

One rule I always questioned was the RIC that a circle aperature isn't BHFS legal. The rules say you can have one housing and no more than 5 aiming points. Last I checked with the math teacher, 0 is less than 5. ;) I saw one guy literally glue a hair across the aperature to be legal.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's kind of silly Lee.....according to that any bow with Cams or wheels of any kind would be in violation of the rule.....somehow I think there is more to this then you've posted that clarifies things more....

Oh boy - I feel the boat rocking already.

But here goes.

I'll use a Hoyt setup just as an example, but I'm sure this can be applied to practically every compound bow maker.

I'm by NO MEANS an expert on Hoyt cams, but it is my understanding that bow X with Y limbs and Spiral cams will produce a higher FPS than the same set up using Cam 1/2.

It would stand to reason then that the energy being provided to the arrow is "increased" due to the cam.

If that is the case then the following is being violated as cams are NOT considered part of the string.

2. Compound bows may be used, provided:
2.1 Basic design includes a handle riser (grip) and flexible limbs.
2.2 Total arrow propelling energy is developed from a flexing of the materials employed in limb construction.
2.3 Weight reduction factor is of no consequence.
2.4 Bows which develop any portion of arrow propelling energy from sources “other than the limbs” shall not be allowed. This is not to be construed to mean that compound bows which employ other sources of arrow propelling energy, not specifically listed in this paragraph, will be allowed.
2.5 The cables of the compound bow shall be considered as part of the string and all applicable string rules except color requirements shall apply

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
That's kind of silly Lee.....according to that any bow with Cams or wheels of any kind would be in violation of the rule.....somehow I think there is more to this then you've posted that clarifies things more....
I copied/pasted everything from:
Page 28
A. General
# 2.

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
I think you're wrong on post#4. The spirals impart more energy into the limbs on the draw because we put more effort into drawing them, so we get more energy out of the limbs for propulsion than the standard C.5s.
My point in pointing this "rule" out is that "I believe" there are quite a few more things that affect the "arrow propelling energy" than just those "employed in the limb construction".

And if that is the case then we're all in violation of:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
My point in pointing this "rule" out is that "I believe" there are quite a few more things that affect the "arrow propelling energy" than just those "employed in the limb construction".

And if that is the case then we're all in violation of:
I'm not in violation because all of the energy I impart to my spiral-cammed bow is stored in the limbs. :D

You're way overthinking it.:darkbeer:

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
Ponder this "rule". I've read it a dozen times and the only conclusion I can come to is that any bow that has any let off is in violation. Doesn't the plain and simple concept of a "cam" violate this?

My draw weight is 50 lbs with 65% let off cams/mods - thus "at full draw" I am holding 17.5 lbs. So my draw weight has been relieved at full draw. What am I missing folks????

4. Any device that would allow the mass weight, or the draw weight of the bow to be relieved from either or both arms, at full draw, shall be declared illegal.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
rules

1. Still see some guys who think they can't score without touching the nocks or arrows.

2. It may not be asinine, but it is impracticable to allow BHFS to use a bubble and then tell them not to use it as a site reference, but I really don't have a dog in that race.

Every group I have ever shot in (always FS, am&pro), if you shoot the wrong target or otherwise break the shooting rules, you lose the points as stipulated. Anything less is not ethical and unfair for everyone else competing.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
What is being referred to is using a device such as a draw loc to hold the bow at full draw while aiming, not the compounding system that reduces the holding weight.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Ponder this "rule". I've read it a dozen times and the only conclusion I can come to is that any bow that has any let off is in violation. Doesn't the plain and simple concept of a "cam" violate this?

My draw weight is 50 lbs with 65% let off cams/mods - thus "at full draw" I am holding 17.5 lbs. So my draw weight has been relieved at full draw. What am I missing folks????

4. Any device that would allow the mass weight, or the draw weight of the bow to be relieved from either or both arms, at full draw, shall be declared illegal.
Think of "relieve" in the baseball sense. Once a pitcher has been relieved he has NO other burden during that game. You still have a burden of 17.5 pounds and the mass weight to contend with. Reduced, but not completely relieved - it really is a poor choice of words. Better would have been to say that draw-weight reduction cannot exceed 99% or something along that line.

The rule is relevent to draw locks and "bi-pod" type equipment. :)

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
...Every group I have ever shot in (always FS, am&pro), if you shoot the wrong target or otherwise break the shooting rules, you lose the points as stipulated. Anything less is not ethical and unfair for everyone else competing.
On occasion I give a pass to a field newcomer. I also let them know that its their last gimme. :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, since we're splitting atoms in this post...

Think of "relieve" in the baseball sense. Once a pitcher has been relieved he has NO other burden during that game. You still have a burden of 17.5 pounds and the mass weight to contend with. Reduced, but not completely relieved - it really is a poor choice of words. Better would have been to say that draw-weight reduction cannot exceed 99% or something along that line.

The rule is relevent to draw locks and "bi-pod" type equipment. :)
The pitcher doesn't have any more burden if he leaves the game without leaving any baserunners on at the time of his "relieving." If there are baserunners on base all those runners are still his "burden" until either they score or the new pitcher gets three outs. If a relief pitcher comes in with the bases loaded, and then gives up a grand slam, that new pitcher is only responsible for one run, the other three runs are tacked on to the earlier pitcher's ERA. ;)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
And what's wrong with a Peep and a kisser button used in tandem?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts