Archery Talk Forum banner

Most dependable expandable BH

2425 Views 41 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  crazy wolf
I've done my own testing and read the other tests in bowhunting mags and online video tests and have made up my mind. Wondering what ya'll think from personal experience. Let me know what you truly think!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Most dependable? Thunderheads keep proving themselves as do muzzys. Really cant get much more dependable

· Registered
6,628 Posts
The 2 most dependable mechanicals on the market IMO are Rocket Steelheads and Grim Reapers :darkbeer:

· Registered
1,753 Posts
I love it when guys don't read the title, Now thats funny. I love expandables, but I have only had one that was shootable after a kill. . I believe It was a Tekken 2. I liked the way Grim Reapers kill, but All of mine got crumbled. Bent the blades beyond repair with 2 of them, the same with the Spitfires. I bought some cheapo's from walmart last year, Cuda's or something for $20. They defiantly get the kill award, but really failed during the holdup contest. Both where toast after the shoot, although neither deer went more than 30 yards.

Haven't shot the Rages, or undertakers, so I can't say a word about them.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
I prefer Rocket steelheads 125's.

I've never had one not open on a target ,deer,several groundhogs or anything else I shot with them.
I always change the blades after I kill something with them,just asI did with my muzzys...

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
Most dependable?

I have no idea which is most dependable but can only say I have shot roughly a dozen whitetail with NAP Spitfires without a single failure. The average distance to recovery has been ~25-35 yards not counting last year's MO buck that went 60 yards. I have shot as many as 3 game animals with the same Spitfire (replacing blades each time) before hitting something like a rock beyond the animal and trashing it.

· Registered
455 Posts
Steelhead

· Registered
8,473 Posts
Id like to add something about the steelheads. Up until this year I have been using them for a few years. I bought a dozen of them on sale and really liked all the good things I had heard about them. However last year when I bought a new pack from Trophy Ridge it seemed that they maybe a little cheaper made now, thats why i am shooting rage this year. If nothing else i like the bigger cutting diameter

· Registered
1,422 Posts
Another vote for the SteelHead.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Geese most dependable I don't know. But I can say I have not had an issue with either the Rocket Hammerhead or the Wasp Jackhammer. Just always makes sure your bands or O-rings are in good shape and your blades can swing freely. If this is so, they should work everytime all the time.

· The Impartial Archer
24,839 Posts
Geese most dependable I don't know. But I can say I have not had an issue with either the Rocket Hammerhead or the Wasp Jackhammer. Just always makes sure your bands or O-rings are in good shape and your blades can swing freely. If this is so, they should work everytime all the time.
Exactly. Expandables require more attention to work properly. If you want to shoot them you have to do your part....If you don't like the extra fuss then switch to a fixed blade.

I have used many expandables (fixed heads too) over the years and the bad ones go away fast. Anything that sells for years is working or it simply wouldn't make it because the competition is too tough in the broad head market.

Put them in the pocket and they all will treat you right.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Me too

+1 on Jackhammers

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Rocket steelheads. I tried tekans and I couldn't keep the blades from opening in my quiver. lately I've heard of some problems with the construction of the steelheads since a new company (Trophy Taker??) took over.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.