Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go from 4" right helical feathers to 4" right offset vanes for better downrange performance then the feathers are giving me. I'm looking for a durable vane that won't strip off, tear, or stretch on pass through. Any recommendations or warnings about particular makes/models?

The arrows are GT 3555 traditions, and are being shot out of a recurve with fingers. I haven't chronographed these, but I'm estimating 190 fps based on the performance of other arrows. I have no problems with fletching clearance (powder testing), and the arrows are slightly underspined. My fletching jig is a BPE PSF with straight and right helical clamps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have found that some traditional recurves while shooting off the shelf ONLY likes feathers. My samick in particular has horrible clearance issues with vanes but shoots like a dream with feathers. That being said, I have used 4" AAE Plastifletch vanes with good results on my compound. Pass throughs either pull or push out cleanly on loose haybails. May get a little dirty but it holds it shape. They were less than 7 dollars for a 100 pack so it was pretty cheap. I have also used dura vanes, but it seemed too bleh for me. If you are brave you can try flechfletch, my arrows came with them installed and I loved them until I shot them out. But at $28/100pk i think ill stick with the cheaper stuff.

I've since just made a burlap blanket about 8 coffee sacks thick that are tightly sewn together to slow down my arrows, I drape the blanket over the haybales and pin or hang them in place.. That way I wont be refletching feathers all the time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found that some traditional recurves while shooting off the shelf ONLY likes feathers.
Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm using an elevated mechanical rest (Cavalier FreeFlyte). I've shot ACC's with 3" vanes with it and the vanes would stretch or tear after passthroughs on hay or excelsier. The reason I've stuck with feathers is they can take a really impressive amout of abuse and still fly straight. There's just a real pronounced drop after ~40 yards.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
durable vane that won't strip off, tear, or stretch on pass through.
FlexFletch applied with FlexBond
Just be sure to prep the bases religiously w/ acetone as instructed.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Most durable 4" vane I have ever found is the bohning killer vanes. They are a bit heavier than most others, but they are tough as nails.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard good things about the Flex Fletch and also the Vanetec vanes. Does anybody know about the Vanetec V-Max vanes?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I use the Vanetec V Max and love them. They are a little lighter and priced good. They are very durable. I buy them from Mountain Archery for $8.95 per 100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts