Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, new to the archery world, starting out with a 415 fps crossbow… what is your opinion on the best broadhead to run with? Most likely going to go with a fixed blade.. it will be backed by a 20 inch 442 grain pile driver shot out of a killer instinct burner 415.. I have always hunted with a rifle and just looking for most lethal on market to make up for the rookie putting it into a deer lol please help me out fellers! :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

Please check out my YouTube channel. This isn’t self promotion trust me you’ll see my videos are pretty lame but they will also display my experience as a nighttime feral hog hunter using a crossbow. An accurate bow giving a well placed shot is deadly with just about any broadhead. Not sure if there’s a “deadlier” head since it’s a rather subjective term. I shoot Slicktrick Grizztrick 2’s and they do a number on these hogs. They are a fixed 4 blade head with a large cross cutting axis. They are inexpensive, durable, readily available, and easy to replace blades. That would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
OP ask all the questions you want without useing the search function. Just so you can aggravate the clowns on this site.

Now to directly answer your question. The most devastating/deadly broadhead is a sharp on that goes completely through the deer's front low lung area just above or just infront the heart, while breaking leg bones.

I would also go up in arrow weight but that's just me, I dont like anything lower then 550 grains.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Evening all, new to the archery world, starting out with a 415 fps crossbow… what is your opinion on the best broadhead to run with? Most likely going to go with a fixed blade.. it will be backed by a 20 inch 442 grain pile driver shot out of a killer instinct burner 415.. I have always hunted with a rifle and just looking for most lethal on market to make up for the rookie putting it into a deer lol please help me out fellers! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my experience you're going to have a hard time getting reliable flight from a large fixed blade head at such high velocity.
I would recommend a mechanical head or a more modest sized fixed blade, but that's just my opinion.
What would you recommend? I’m new to this area of Hunting and like all research half says do this half says do that so far all I have managed to decide was that I needed to be over 500 grain between the bolt and the broadhead.. so I’m running a 442 grain pile driver bolt

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
What would you recommend? I’m new to this area of Hunting and like all research half says do this half says do that so far all I have managed to decide was that I needed to be over 500 grain between the bolt and the broadhead.. so I’m running a 442 grain pile driver bolt
I'd build the heaviest arrow I could, to help prevent the crossbow from coming apart, and I'd match it with a trustworthy mechanical head... Deadmeat, Grim Reaper, Rage, etc... Whichever one you have the most faith in. All of them will fly well and all of them will provide excellent performance if you do your part. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In my experience you're going to have a hard time getting reliable flight from a large fixed blade head at such high velocity.
I would recommend a mechanical head or a more modest sized fixed blade, but that's just my opinion.
The Grizz Trick II are an awesome flying head . If you are having a hard time getting reliable flight from those head your bow is not tune fairy well. Easily shoots with my field point out to 60 yards. I’m sure it would group well beyond that but that’s as far as I shoot.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The Grizz Trick II are an awesome flying head . If you are having a hard time getting reliable flight from those head your bow is not tune fairy well. Easily shoots with my field point out to 60 yards. I’m sure it would group well beyond that but that’s as far as I shoot.
At 415 fps? From a crossbow, which cannot be tuned?
They are great broadheads, but I stand by my assessment.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
At 415 fps? From a crossbow, which cannot be tuned?
They are great broadheads, but I stand by my assessment.
I missed the part about the crossbow. I know absolutely nothing about crossbows other than they are not archery equipment. And really should only be used during a firearm season as they are a shoulder fired cocked and locked weapon. But to each their own if they are legal they are legal !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.