Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the most true flying broadheads?? Like ones the fly JUST LIKE/CLOSEST to your field points? I just shot my muzzy 100 gr 4blades and they were like 3 inches from my field tips at 20 yds!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Have you tuned with your broadheads?

·
Registered
44 Posts
if your bow isn't tuned well nothing will fly, but as far as fixed i like sonic's they aren't loud and i get great arrow flight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I think it is all tuned well.. But u know how that goes.. but I think what is killing me is that the broadhead is a 4 blade and the fletching is only 3. would that be a reason?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Fixed blade? I've had the best luck w/Montecs. That arrow squaring device is one of the best investments I've ever made too!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
well I think it is all tuned well.. But u know how that goes.. but I think what is killing me is that the broadhead is a 4 blade and the fletching is only 3. would that be a reason?

Muzzy also happens to be the BH I've had the most problems with in the past. Not that I didn't eventually get them to fly, but needed the most "tinkering".

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
what are the most true flying broadheads??
IMO, with good form and a properly spined bare shaft (or BH tuned) arrow with a BH that is square to the arrows axis with no contact issues, they are all good.

If you are looking to mask any of the above....Mechanicals!!

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Like others has said, tuning is key. I shoot Muzzy but have found that it does take a little more work to get them all to be consistent. I do achieve that but it takes a bit longer. As far as fixed blade go, very hard to beat the good flight of Slick Tricks. I have had them fly well even from bows that were not tuned well. In other words, about like a field point.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
what are the most true flying broadheads?? Like ones the fly JUST LIKE/CLOSEST to your field points? I just shot my muzzy 100 gr 4blades and they were like 3 inches from my field tips at 20 yds!
ATers will say all fly like your broadheads if your bow is tuned. I disagree. Muzzy 4-blades do not fly like my field points.

Mechanicals will fly best, the Rage 2-blade fly very close to field points out to 50+ yrds (I wont use them, the blades come dislodged to easy, but they fly great)

The American Broadhead Sonic, .75 diameter, is the best flying fixed blade broadhead (I won't use them because they are to small, but they fly great)

The Slick Trick standard is a good compromise. Flies good, durable, good blood trail. The best overall - IMO.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Fixed blade G5 Montec or Strikers, Expandables Meat Seekers shot my buck at 60 yards this year they fly just like field tips.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Wasp Boss Bullets are as close to my field points as any I have ever shot. Even when my bow isn't tuned perfectly. That being said, I tune to perfection and use Magnus Buzzcuts.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The reason that broadheads behave differently than field points, is that they have more cross-sectional wind resistance.

Cross-sectional wind resistance, is one of the forces that allows fletchings or vanes, to stabilize an arrow.

A broadhead, acts like vanes, on the front of the arrow. If you want less deflection from crosswind or poor tuning and rest placement, you need to look for broadheads that have less cross-sectional wind resistance.

In other words, they need to be smaller.

If you insist on shooting large diameter heads, you need to give the vanes more ability to steer the arrow, so they need to be bigger as well.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
NAP Nitrons

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My wifes mathews passion with muzzys didn;t fly like the field points ither. With a lil bit of tuning they fly perfect now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I use Magnus 4-Blade Stingers with great sucess this year.

·
The Western Triangle
2,231 Posts
nothing ever flew as close to my field points as the Trophy Ridge Rockets.....

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Fixed heads...Slick Trick standards and Shuttle T- locs. When I use mechanicals I use Trophy Ridge SteelHeads. All these fly well out of a tuned bow.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wac'em Tritons
but they don't make 'em any more

1 - 20 of 62 Posts