Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not what you like to see on trail cams but caught this family of yotes this morning scouring one of our food plots and grabbing a newly dropped fawn. The fawns started dropping a few weeks ago, and I've seen more yotes in the past few weeks than the past year...

IMG_186378C7B7FD-1.jpeg
IMG_D53F7EEBB028-1.jpeg
IMG_EC8010C699E6-1.jpeg
View attachment 6519143

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is, they just come right back...basically impossible to thin them out permanently...but I might go do a little damage to them with the AR...

That's not good. Time to start thinning them down.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Kill the parents and the pups will die from hunger......win, win.
^^^^this. On our farm in Ohio, my dad and I would find dens and kill the parents. If the pups came out we would get them too. Didn’t like them dying of starvation but if that’s what it took....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might try that...everything I've read is that they just come back...but I might try and take a few out with the AR

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Hire a trapper - my buddy hired a trapper and took 17coyotes off of a 100 acres .
Based on studies, your buddy just paid a trapper to have a good time, basically. When you reduce the numbers in an area, they just increase reproduction to restore them.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
that black one would make a really cool mount.....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Interesting enough by killing coyotes you may actually be making your coyote problem worse. Some research I've read has stated that to actually decrease the population of coyotes in an area you would need to kill over 75% of all coyotes in a given area. Coyotes have a habit of increased breeding when their population is threatened so by targeting coyotes you may actually be stimulating them to reproduce more leaving you with a bigger problem. The 75/25 split seems to be the breaking point. If you can kill over 75% then you've reduced the population enough to decrease their breeding potential. However, if you leave more than 25% their numbers are still high enough for you to see a negative gain after a season or 2.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You'll never do the damage of heartworms and automobiles, but I don't think it hurts to trap some or shoot them while your hunting to keep them in check.

·
Just Do It.....
30,219 Posts
Interesting enough by killing coyotes you may actually be making your coyote problem worse. Some research I've read has stated that to actually decrease the population of coyotes in an area you would need to kill over 75% of all coyotes in a given area. Coyotes have a habit of increased breeding when their population is threatened so by targeting coyotes you may actually be stimulating them to reproduce more leaving you with a bigger problem. The 75/25 split seems to be the breaking point. If you can kill over 75% then you've reduced the population enough to decrease their breeding potential. However, if you leave more than 25% their numbers are still high enough for you to see a negative gain after a season or 2.
You need a good eradication program and keep to it. Not that you will eradicate them but if you try to you will check them.

·
Just Do It.....
30,219 Posts
Based on studies, your buddy just paid a trapper to have a good time, basically. When you reduce the numbers in an area, they just increase reproduction to restore them.

Not if your doing that consistently.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Not if your doing that consistently.
You’d have to do it consistently on a hell of a lot more than 100 acres, though. Otherwise, you’re just having fun, but there’s nothing wrong with that, either.

·
Just Do It.....
30,219 Posts
You’d have to do it consistently on a hell of a lot more than 100 acres, though. Otherwise, you’re just having fun, but there’s nothing wrong with that, either.

Consistent hunting and trapping on 100 acres will provide less coyote numbers on that 100 acres. But it will be work and not entirely fun. Trapping yotes ain't easy either....

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
The government has spent millions of dollars over decades to try and eradicate Coyotes, and all they did was spread them out!

Read Coyote America by Dan Flores, interesting stuff!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts