Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I do not have access to a chronograph I attempted to check my speed using the ol' 20 yd - 40 yd same pin group method. Shot 3 arrows into a tight group at 20 yds and backed up to 40 yds and using the same pin aiming at the same spot shot another 3 arrow group. Another tight group. Great…measure the distance between the center of the two groups. Wow... 9" difference between them. By the calculators i've seen online my bow off the charts fast. It can't be right. What am i missing???

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wildcat,
My dad was a big Wildcat fan. If you provide some specs on your bow and arrow, someone on here can give you a pretty close estimate of your feet per second speed. Are you asking about the Motive 6 or your Carnage from your signature line? So, bow, draw length, draw weight, accessories on the string, and arrow weight in grains. I think that is enough. If you don't know your arrow weight, then provide brand, type, spine, point weight (screw in or nib), vanes, and nock type. We'll give it a go to see. Now, my experience with the Motive 6 is that it is close to advertised IBO rating. Very fast. A few fps are gained by those who really tune their bows well.
Phil

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pwyrick,
Thanks for the reply.The Motive. 29" titanium peep, d loop only on string, arrow weighed 496g, haven't measured draw weight but it's 70# limbs backed out one turn so i figure 65-67#.
The carnage set up the same way but with 515g arrow shot groups 14" apart. Super happy with both bows.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's a heavy arrow. You're probably getting about 285-290 fps. I get 302fps with a 375gr arrow and 29" draw, peep and dloop on the string set at 63#.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I ran rough numbers and came up with approx 285 fps, like Hi c. But that 9 inch gap from 20 yards to 40 yards would be more like 348 fps when I run the numbers on the OT2 simulator. Are you sure your arrows are that heavy? And, its possible that I am getting something wrong. Either way, it sounds like you've got two great bows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The arrows weighed that on my crappy scale that displays in grams. 32.1 grams and 33.6 for the two set ups and doing the conversion of 1 gram = 15.4323584 grains i get 495 and 519 grains. Shooting tight groups with them and both blow through deer and hogs using Montecs.
Like I said earlier, could not be more pleased with either bow and just curious how fast they are. Went to heavier arrow to quieten them down and get as good a wholop on the critters as possible.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I came up with 278 fps... thats pretty damn impressive with those arrow weights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today my buddy came by with his new CPX. He left with the intention to sell it to buy a Motive. I think most of the Bear bashers on here would change their tunes if they gave the bows a fair shake. Awesome shooting bows. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts