Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have posted my setup before but i will again. i am using the moutrie cam with 128mb sd cards and rayovac 6volt batteries. so far 15 days and 300 pics later no flaws. i put it up aug 15. i am using shelled corn with molassis to stop them. if ya don't it won't get the pic. like it has been said its just not fast enough. i set up a little site to post my pics as i get them. its easier than resizing them and putting them on here. i can't argue with moultrie for $100.you be the judge. my favorite pic is # 36 & 40. #40 is a fawn nursing. once my wife saw those pics she has bugged me to go get another camera and to keep checking the one i have. heres the link!

http://photos.yahoo.com/alanammon

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this one was scared at first but stuck his tounge out at me. guess he was surprised. sometimes you wonder what there thinkin.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i should also mention that one nice feature with this cam is the sd memory cards. i bought 2- 128mb cards. each should hold around 400 pics. i go up and change out the card and bring the one home. i put that in my personal camera and download the pics on my computer. then i erase the card with my camera. now i'm ready for the next changeout. i'm sure this is with all the digital trail cameras but the moultrie has a feature that lets you bring the whole thing home and download on your computer or t.v. . it has its own memory and doesn't need sd cards but it will only hold a few pics that way. i prefer the change out of the cards, that is if your not planning on moving it. i want to check it as few times as possible and save as much gas as i can. the cards are only $20 each and will save a ton on devoloping the 35mm. i hope this helps answer some questions. lord knows i was a little confused when i started using it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Great pictures. I'm using the same camera. I like haveing two memory cards, it let me get in and out quickly. Do you have the solar panel for the camera? I like not having to change batteries, plus it save money. Just keep the battery charged up. I love this system.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no solar panel, didn't know they made one. of course with all the rain wouldn't really matter i guess. were did ya get one? were do you get the rechargable batteries? i'm going to go check it again today, mainly because the wife will want me to. i gotta put out somemore corn. the feed store here sells pure molassis for $4 a gallon, the good stuff! they just mentioned that to me as i was buying corn instead of buying it already mixed. i'm still going to buy the premixed stuff but pour some pure stuff an the unmixed.i think it would be a big mess mixin that all up. sure an glad we don't have any bears around. i know theres a few but only ever saw one on my life.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Moultrie sells solar panels and rechargeable batteries. All you have to do is but a little cut in the plastic at the bottom where the door opens. you have to do this because the camera does not have a spot for the solar wire yet. Being at the bottom it will not let any water in. I made a small cut with a hacksaw and my wire fits tight when the unit is closed. Work great!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tip!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
reflxshtr said:
no solar panel, didn't know they made one. of course with all the rain wouldn't really matter i guess. were did ya get one? were do you get the rechargable batteries? i'm going to go check it again today, mainly because the wife will want me to. i gotta put out somemore corn. the feed store here sells pure molassis for $4 a gallon, the good stuff! they just mentioned that to me as i was buying corn instead of buying it already mixed. i'm still going to buy the premixed stuff but pour some pure stuff an the unmixed.i think it would be a big mess mixin that all up. sure an glad we don't have any bears around. i know theres a few but only ever saw one on my life.

$4 a gallon
You sure thats not gas :D :D :D :D

Nice pics :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, close. i figure a coulpe more days it'll be $4 a gallon.

fishslayer1963 said:
$4 a gallon
You sure thats not gas :D :D :D :D

Nice pics :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Nice Pics,

I just went and bought one last week, I haven't put it out yet, just played with it some in the yard to check range, of sensor and pic quality.

What quality setting are you using is that the standard or best ?

I did notice playing with mine the sensor will only activate and take a pic at around 12 yards from the camera, has anybody else found this ?

Ken

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm using the high quality setting and it should hold around 400 pics on a 128sd card with that, more if on the lower setting but i want the best i can get out of it. as for footage i have a pile of corn about 10 foot in front of it. from my pics you could guess the yardage from the feeding deer to the ones that aren't. hope this helps. i also have it on 1 minute delay taking 2 pics.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cool pics....

Just got mine tonight. Can't wait to get it out and start saving money from the 35mm camera. Probly still put it out also just cuz I have it. Looking forward to not have to wait 2 days to see my pics.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
moultrie deer cam 100

Are you using the standard or high resolution? What setting do you have your camera set at 1 min 5 min etc? I just bought one and am going to set it up tomorrow. thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got it set on high res. and 1 minute delay taking 2 pics. this will sense the deer,take 1 pic,wait 15 seconds, sense the deer and take another pic, then wait 1 minute. if it senses the deer after 1 minute it will take another pic , wait 15 seconds and sense the deer, take another pic, wait 1 minute, etc........... if it doesn't sense the deer of course it won't take the pic. and don't get dicouraged if it doesn't flash. if its light out or slightly light out it won't. if you want to make sure the flash is working put your finger over the little hole beside the top eye and it will think its dark out and flash, of couse have it set on auto and wait till the light quits blinking.

also i added 10 more pics on here today. check'm out!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
got mine

I have my camera set up and ready to go. I will put it out tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see what it gets! Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your quite welcome. also the biggest thing i did to attract them in was using the molassis mix shelled corn. i get it at our local feed store for about $6 for 50lb of it pre mixed or just shelled corn for $5 plus a gallon of molassis for $4 a gallon. i tried just plain shelled corn and didn't get anything for 2 days.. i then added molassis corn to it and it took about 4 hours. now when i put it out it takes about 2-6 hours and they are all over it. then they pretty much eat it in one sitting. i think i'm feedin hogs not deer. o'well it gets them fatten'd up.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
corn/molasses mix

What is the easy way to mix the two? Do you just use a bucket and mix equal parts and then put it out? I am going to do this tomorrow. Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts