Archery Talk Forum banner

Mountain biking elk?

1220 Views 29 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  TheDoctorReal
I have heard of using a mountain bike to gain access to areas faster along old logging roads but have not heard anyone speak about what it would be like riding your bike out with a quarter on it (or is that not recommended/possible)?

I would assume if it was downhill on a decent logging road then you could do it without much of a problem.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
3,756 Posts
When I was a kid I used a mountain bike to follow an old railroad bed up to a good area, I used a plastic sled to pull a nice blacktail back out. It was pretty flat, but not too bad a pull at all.

· Registered
6 Posts
That would awesome to see some guy riding down the road on his bike with a big old 6pt rack strapped to his handle bars. Then a little further down the road he catches his front tire in a rut and ends up impaling himself :mg:...No thanks I'm riding my horse..:confused:

· Registered
2,515 Posts
I can't imagine being able to ride on flat ground with an elk quarter strapped to my back, or the bike. On hills, or in mtns, it would seem terrible.

I do know guys who've taken bear and deer (on different hunts), and get the whole animal out - but they tie it on the bike, and walk it out.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
Mt.Bike

Bone it out and haul what you are comfortable with in your pack.

· I am the Tin Man!
2,985 Posts
I used my mt bike on several unsuccesful deer hunts to get back further from roads. I have a kiddie carrier trailer that I planned to use to haul the deer out.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
I've ridden in, but haven't had to pack anything out on a bike. Plan was to bone it out & carry in the frame pack, but a trailer would be better.

while it gets you in faster, one huge disadvantage is that it's tough to ride even a slight uphill grade w/out getting all sweaty.

· Registered
476 Posts
I thoguht i was going to see a picture of an elk on a bike when i read the title of this thread ;)

I have never rode a bike in for hunting, but i have concidered it many times, it sure is a lot quieter than my 4 wheeler. I am not sure how many moose hunters are on here, but they are pretty skidish during the first part of the season and the archery only moose season starts on August 10th up here, which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy before the rut and its hard to get the 'ol sneak on them.

· Registered
281 Posts
almost every year .we hunt a area with lots of closed roades.we use the gutless method to Quarter the elk and cut off back straps and other meat.we then bag it (I never elk hunt without 5 elk Quarter bags in back pack)then back pack to road if it is ruff country.then tie quarters on bike .make sure to balance load and keep the weight low.antlers go up front.
then we push bike out(never would i try to ride it out)probably have done 20+
elk this way in the last 15 years.several of them by myself(but help is definatly apreciated)when I want to take a break I lean bike against a tree .it is so much easier than on your back and I always have my mountain bike as we use it to get in on these closed roads--Dave C

· Registered
2,099 Posts
When I was in high school, a friend and I built a bike trailer for my teacher. His plan was to use it on a sheep hunt where the only access is by bike or foot. I was in a welding class so of course I got signed up for this project, it was a true PITA to build. We built it out of chromoly tubing and the front forks and tires from two bikes and than TIG welded it together. I believe we finished almost all of it but the hitch part we didn't get to do(school got out for summer). We built it to handle about 150 lbs., but as said it was a pain to build and I imagine that chromoly tubing was EXPENSIVE lol. I'll have to see if he ever got to using it, that was a rather interesting way of hunting I thought, but better than walking I suppose.

· Registered
267 Posts
The NVA used lots of bike to carry heavy loads down the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Sling it and push it.

· Registered
4,267 Posts
The NVA used lots of bike to carry heavy loads down the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Sling it and push it.
Oh nice...look at the mods to those bikes. Something on the bars and something that comes up behind the seat. That could work for a whitetail...what do all you elk hunters think?

· Registered
6,795 Posts
I've never done this, but it is a BAD idea to put that much weight high up in the air! You will probably tip over, like I have being loaded down with fishing gear one time;) Maybe if you lowered the weight closer to the ground.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.