Archery Talk Forum banner

Mountain Lion Attack Stopped by my Daughter in CO....real close call

1946 Views 24 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  jogr
My daughter and I were hunting in CO 3 weeks ago for second rifle season. While I was down in a canyon quartering my elk, she was up on top, deer hunting the last day of season. While moving through some thick timber between two areas of interest, she came up on a lion in a small opening (16 yards) that was not afraid of people or backing down. She did all the right things trying to scare it off, but it came at her, closing the distance to 8 yards and preparing to pounce when she finally was forced to defend herself. Amazingly, she caught most of the encounter on video and audio.

The Game and Fish officials said that there has been more aggressive mountain lion encounters lately. Aggressive encounters are rare, but if anyone is hunting in lion or bear country, be aware of the precautions you can take and the right responses for the different animals, and be sure to educate your kids about the topic. I'm sure glad I did. This encounter could have ended much worse. The situation went from "The lion is leaving as expected" to "It's about to pounce on me" in about 2 seconds!
(For licensing or usage, contact [email protected])
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m no expert on self defense from a mountain lion but I’d have shot that thing long before she did. Glad she’s ok.
Yeah, I know, we have talked about that. She said the situation went from - it's running away like it's supposed to, to, - it's about to pounce on me, in 2 seconds. We are just so thankful it stopped on that last log which gave her time to ready her gun.

· Cato
4,217 Posts
Wow. Amazing. Your daughter did an awesome job of not panicking and handling the tension. She is also well
Spoken. Really enjoyed seeing this. Very thankful for her safety. God was surely watching over her.

Reactions: RossRagan

· Registered
22,962 Posts
Glad she ended safe, if me that cat wouldn't have as much of a chance as she gave it & it would have been dead.

· Back Yard Champion
35,943 Posts
What some may not realize is, if she had ran it could have resulted in outright attack and worse, her back would have been to the cougar.

· Back Yard Champion
35,943 Posts
It will not display the video. Sounds like a real close call.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Didn't for me the first time. Refreshed and tried again and got it. Showing now for me........

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the video not too long ago of a hiker we had here in Provo, UT. Not sure if I can post it as it has some adult language. But I bet the guy starts carrying a gun now. It was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Wow, your daughters poise and ability to stay calm and make smart decisions is impressive. I probably would have peed myself, cussed a lot and shot that cat way sooner than she did. It was obvious that cat wasn’t leaving with out a meal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.