Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first hunt of the season in Western Kentucky...

I watched a Mountain Lion walk through a creek bottom about an hour before dark on the first night of the hunt...It seemed unaware of my presence...This isn't our first encounter in this area...Has anyone else seen these cats from their deer stands...?!

·
Registered
672 Posts
What county were you in? I have heard "stories" of people seeing Mountain Lions but so far no real proof. Not disputing your words....just that everyone says they should not be there. We have bobcats for sure...but personally I have never seen a m. lion. I would contact the game warden or KY dept. fish wildlife....it might need to be "removed" from the population.:wink:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was in Livingston county...I have seen juvenile cats in the past, but this is the first full grown cat we've encountered...I also have pictures of deer carcases they have pulled up into the forks of trees to feed on...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
anything is posible...in nw arkansas they finally looked into reports of a big cat, come to find out it wasn't what was reported at all but three african lions that someone let lose in the wood

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
There are claims of mt. lion sightings in nearly all the states east of the Mississippi. Assuming we're not talking about the Florida panther or the extremely rare possibility of escaped pets but rather a real wild breeding population (even a tiny one) then I'll believe it when reputable authorities confirm it. Until then I can only conclude these sightings are mistaken identity combined with a bit of wishfull thinking and imagination or worse, out and out lies. The thread with the bob cat picture a short while ago should make it pretty clear there are many who could easily mistake one for a ml. Ml's in Kentucky? Like I said, I'll believe it when it's reliably confirmed.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you went by claims only I think there are more mountain lions in the USA than deer. So far, from what I can tell it is usually a case of mistaken identity. Although deer up in the forks of trees would be a good indicator of a mountain lion as I don't think bobcats can do that. A fawn maybe, but not a full grown deer. I would love to see pics of that that looks like.....a deer in the tree.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Authorities?

Authorities of what? Most of the government employees never set foot in the woods and would know less about the differences of Mountain Lions and Bobcats than my 10 year old nefew. I believe it when a long time woodsmen/hunter says he saw something in the woods that is out of place. You don't need a degree from a classroom to see and confirm a Mountain lion presence.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pictures???

[...I also have pictures of deer carcases they have pulled up into the forks of trees to feed on...

Where are the pictures? I won't believe you till you post some pics.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A mountain lion was seen on Eagle Trace Golf Course in Rowan County by the mowing crew in 2004 I believe. Fish and Wildlife came down and checked it out, found tracks and confirmed it was a mountain lion. It was only seen once to my knowledge. According to wildlife officer they can range several hundred miles so that may explain this as being the only sighting.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
JLR said:
Authorities of what? Most of the government employees never set foot in the woods and would know less about the differences of Mountain Lions and Bobcats than my 10 year old nefew. I believe it when a long time woodsmen/hunter says he saw something in the woods that is out of place. You don't need a degree from a classroom to see and confirm a Mountain lion presence.
Are you serious? There are literally thousands of people across this country and in every state who have dedicated their lives to the study and reasearch of wildlife. They work for government angencies, universities and in private research. That's their job! They are trained to do it and it's what they do everyday unlike the typical hunter who by comparison spends only a small amount of time in the woods and many who like the bob cat thread proved, can't even tell the difference between a ml and bc from a clear picture. So I'm if I'm left to choose between what the wildlife professionals say or hunters or your 10 year old nephew, I'm going with professionals. Now as far as the degree you mentioned. It seems there are a lot of guys that tout the ML's in the east theory love to ridicule anyone with an education. The term "educated idiots" is often used. Well don't forget, if there are "educated idiots" out there then there are certainly plenty of "un-educated idiots" out there too. Between those with an education and trained to know about the subject and those who don't, I'll bet on the professionals.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
A friend of mine has some cows missing

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
SputterFuss said:
Are you serious? There are literally thousands of people across this country and in every state who have dedicated their lives to the study and reasearch of wildlife. They work for government angencies, universities and in private research. That's their job! They are trained to do it and it's what they do everyday unlike the typical hunter who by comparison spends only a small amount of time in the woods and many who like the bob cat thread proved, can't even tell the difference between a ml and bc from a clear picture. So I'm if I'm left to choose between what the wildlife professionals say or hunters or your 10 year old nephew, I'm going with professionals. Now as far as the degree you mentioned. It seems there are a lot of guys that tout the ML's in the east theory love to ridicule anyone with an education. The term "educated idiots" is often used. Well don't forget, if there are "educated idiots" out there then there are certainly plenty of "un-educated idiots" out there too. Between those with an education and trained to know about the subject and those who don't, I'll bet on the professionals.

Hoorah!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The State of Illinois said there were no mountain lions in the state until they were called to come out and look at dead ones. One was hit by a train and the other had an arrow in it but was found in the gun season.

They have a different opinion now.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
For years there were poo-poo'd reports of big cat sightings in people's backyards and tracks in the snow in the Minneapolis Metro area (INSIDE THE 494-694 LOOP!!). Then one morning, a security camera in the parkinglot of Fingerhut in Plymouth recorded it cutting across a remote corner of the lot. I think about a year or so later, the DNR encountered one and killed it when it didn't demonstrate sufficient fear of humans down by the Minnesota River in Savage just a few miles from my old house. Were they the same one? Who knows. I wasn't able to follow the story as closely as I'd have liked, maybe some other MN hunters know more specifics.

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
MN metro cat

NSB
That's about all I remember too, but I am pretty sure they also found a number of cat killed deer in plymouth that year. I saw that video. Pretty hard to mistake that for anything else.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
3L_Archer said:
No one believed that Sasquatch lived in Alabama UNTIL my brother married her! Now we have pictures.:darkbeer:

3L
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:darkbeer:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chupacabra said:
NSB
That's about all I remember too, but I am pretty sure they also found a number of cat killed deer in plymouth that year. I saw that video. Pretty hard to mistake that for anything else.
I always figured that cat should have looked like a Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig with all the metro geese we have waddling around...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
wildfowl said:
The State of Illinois said there were no mountain lions in the state until they were called to come out and look at dead ones. One was hit by a train and the other had an arrow in it but was found in the gun season.

They have a different opinion now.....
I highly doubt the state of Illinois claimed there were no ml's. Here in NY and in PA, where ml claims abound and ml's are even less likely to be found than IL, the state officials will always say there is "no evidence". Big difference from saying there are none. It's of course nearly if not completely impossible to prove something doesn't exist. Intelligent people generally won't bother trying and consider it to be a waste of time. The burden of proof is with those making the claim that they are indeed there. I'm sure Illinois officials would have had the same "no evidence" type of comment. It's quite possible that those who can't tell the difference between a bob cat and a ml also can't tell the difference between "no evidence for" and "none". Now that the evidence exists in Il no one is saying either "none" or "no evidence" are they? So back to Kentucky... Those that claim wild breeding ml's exist there, let them produce the evidence. If they truly have it I'm sure some reliable professionals can quickly confirm it and then we'll all believe. As far as I'm concerned, until then it's just another unconfirmed rumor.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts