Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard three different stories from three different people at work in the last 2 weeks saying they saw a mountain Lion. They are all very close to Friendsville, Pa. I don't know what to think. Do you guys from Pa. believe we have ML's around. I mean we never really had Coyotes and now look.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
A buddy of mine swore up and down that he spotted one this summer. I've heard a couple of others in the area say the same thing as well. I live right across the border in south eastern Ontario so the topography is similar to PA. Personally I have my doubts but I suppose it could be possible... heck who would of ever thought they'd hear elk bugling in the woods of south eastern Ontario again?!?!?

Cheers,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah I saw it too............BIGFOOT had it on a leash and he didn't even pick up its poop. I thoght BIGFOOT knew how to use a pooper scooper................

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so there are mountain lions in Pa... WOW

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Natural mountain lions in Pa? Sorry guys, this is another one I would have to see with my own two eyes to believe. There have been many reportings of mountain lions in Pa. Of the ones that turn out any value most wind up being either Bob Cats or illegal pets that got to big for their keepers.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I don't NOT believe we have them.......I just don't believe a lot of people when they claim they saw them.

Seriously....when were coyotes a rare thing in PA. I know trappers that have been trapping them for years and years.
Another thing is as much as i read about pa hunting and animals i have never come across anything that has ever said Coyotes were rare in PA. :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys. I don't post here very often, but I've got to chime in on this one.

I've seen mountain lions in PA, personally. In the north central part of the state, not far from the New York border.

Now, I couldn't say weather it was wild, a release/escaped pet, or transplanted by some other means (like the Game Commission supposedly did with coyotes years ago). But it was definately a cat, and definately was not a housecat or bobcat.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ok guys, that is a story going around in my area in Kentucky also, several different people seeing them and one gentleman has seen it multiple times, in my hunting area, also had a guy that hunts where I do said he found a heavy blood trail along one of the roads for about 50 yards and it just stopped. He looked the area over for a hour and found nothing. I'm one also that I would have to see to believe it however, back in 1990, where I grew up in NWPA bear was unheard of. I seen a bear standing in the road one day and a non-hunting friend was in the car with me. I told everyone I knew about the sighting and not a soul believed me, and I'm talking I was within 15 feet of it because I had to come to a complete stop in the road because he was standing on the center line. So, I don't know what to think?

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
NKYBOWHUNTER said:
Ok guys, that is a story going around in my area in Kentucky also, several different people seeing them and one gentleman has seen it multiple times, in my hunting area, also had a guy that hunts where I do said he found a heavy blood trail along one of the roads for about 50 yards and it just stopped. He looked the area over for a hour and found nothing. I'm one also that I would have to see to believe it however, back in 1990, where I grew up in NWPA bear was unheard of. I seen a bear standing in the road one day and a non-hunting friend was in the car with me. I told everyone I knew about the sighting and not a soul believed me, and I'm talking I was within 15 feet of it because I had to come to a complete stop in the road because he was standing on the center line. So, I don't know what to think?

That is the story going on everywhere in the US that dont have lions. People like to tell stories, fortunately they are not true.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I've personally seen videos and pictures of mountain lions in PA. They were mostly from the northern part of the state...potter county area.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I've talked to three different men that have seen them this year alone....

I would'nt be so fast to judge several people that say they saw something that was not there,some people do know what they've seen...

I personaly never saw one and don't want to, but i'm 36 years old and have been hunting since I was 12 and I saw my first coyote last year and as was said, we supposedly have had them for years...... :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TreeJumper. Thats kind of what I am saying. I am 38 and have been hunting since I was 12 and I have seen only 3 coyotes. 1 while turkey hunting and 2 while deer hunting. The 1 guy I heard the Cat story from is a good honest person who has been hunting for many years so when I hear him say it. I have to step back and think. It could have been something else and I kind of believe it was but it sure makes you think. I am not saying that coyote have ever really been a rarity to Pa. but it sure seems like the population is definately growing. Makes you wonder if 10-20 years from now maybe we'll be seeing ML like we are seeing coyotes today. Who knows.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
12Cedars said:
TreeJumper. Thats kind of what I am saying. I am 38 and have been hunting since I was 12 and I have seen only 3 coyotes. 1 while turkey hunting and 2 while deer hunting. The 1 guy I heard the Cat story from is a good honest person who has been hunting for many years so when I hear him say it. I have to step back and think. It could have been something else and I kind of believe it was but it sure makes you think. I am not saying that coyote have ever really been a rarity to Pa. but it sure seems like the population is definately growing. Makes you wonder if 10-20 years from now maybe we'll be seeing ML like we are seeing coyotes today. Who knows.

Thats the way with me, the people I know are people that I feel would know what they saw..Considering that two of the three have had more than 1 sighting...

The one guy is i'm guessing in his 70's and owns a lumber mill..He first saw one while loading logs in the mountain one morning.The second was while transporting logs on another day....

The other is a tree farmer with over 400 acres of trees that he takes care of and he and his wife on 3 occasions on their tree farm have seen a 'very big" one from what his wife described to me....

I would sure like to see some positive proof myself to know they are here, but who has proven so far that they are NOT....... :cool:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I truly believe that there are many good, honest folks in PA who really believe that they have seen a mountain lion...last year I saw another hunter about 150 yards down the hill, I could tell he was wearing blue jeans and a red plaid shirt, but when I used the binos...it was just an illusion made of sticks and brush. Yet as soon as I put the binos down...there he was. The woods play tricks on us.

Until I see one myself, or a good quality photo/video of one that can be verified to have been taken in PA, I just don't think they are here. Just my opinion. Maybe someday, though.

Now coyotes...heck, there isn't a county in PA that doesn't have them. I've even seen one down at the shore in Corson's Inlet State Park. He busted me and melted into the dunes. Too cool.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Mountain Lions in PA?

Very good possibility. I am in Northern Virginia. About four years ago, numerous sightings were made starting in Maryland, then Southward thru my area, and then further south like it was migrating. Or..with so many white tails around, it would be fertile hunting ground for the big cats. One report (all in our local news) said a ML took down a deer while he was watching. No reports for the last two or three years. Just my contribution.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Think about it like this guys. Even out west where they hunt ML they are hard to find and extrememly elusive. And here in the east where there are even fewer of them sitings are gonna be even fewer and far between. I would not doubt a min that they are up there roaming around as we have them here in North Alabama even if people say they don't live here. I was hunting several years ago with a guy who grew up out west and has taken several ML with a bow. We were walkin down the road and he spotted the tracks and told me those were most deffinitly ML tracks. So don't say they aren't there just because you have't seen one because even where there are confirmed populations they are hardly seen.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why is this so surprising?

PA at one time did have ML's.

The following is taken from http://www.greenworks.tv/radio/earthtones/nittanylions.htm

Historically, Native Americans took on the identity of wild animals to increase their personal power and ability. Today, this practice is continued by college football teams like those at Penn State University. Until the 1880s, mountain lions roamed Central Pennsylvania including a large mountain near State College called Nittany from the Algonquin word meaning "single mountain." In 1904, Penn State adopted the Nittany Lion as its mascot to overcome another big cat, Princeton University's Bengal Tiger. Today, mountain lions are gone from Central Pennsylvania. But perhaps they will return again…outside the football stadium.

It is only a matter of time until they return...perhaps they already have.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yea i bet the PGC brought them in to eat all the deer we cant kill! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
ML in SW VA

Mountain lions are being sighted in the SW VA mountains. My father swears he saw one on some land he is buying near Fincastle at the foot of Tinker Mtn. I am thinking these folks are seeing bobcats which are indeed making a comeback that is confirmed by the natural resources folks. In NW PA, we have seen quite a few. My brother-in-law has two nice mounts of roadkill bobcats he found in the Alleghany Nat'l Forest.

As for the Kittany Lions ........ Go Buckeyes!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts