Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been hunting this spot on public land A LOT the past 2 years, only during archery seasons, never seen any evidence of anyone else using the spot. well, this past weekend I went to take my girlfriend out for her first deer hunt(rifle) When I get to the spot there is a climber strapped to a white pine. I'm upset because someone else has discovered what i thought was my secret spot, it's about a 30 minute walk in.
Whatever, its public, we were there first, so we sit down. The person never shows up, thursday, friday, or Saturday.
I was actually hoping they would so I could talk to them and find out how often they hunt and when as to avoid confrontations next season. i didn't have any pen and paper to leave them a note, all i could think of to do was move the top part of his climber to the other side of the tree to let him know that someone else found his stand, and didn't take it, but just to give him a heads up...maybe he won't leave it out there and find a new spot.

think he'll get the message i'm trying to send him? how would you react if got to your stand and it wasn't exactly how you left it, but not damaged in any way?

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
It would probably make me get there real early the next time out so I could be first.:wink:

·
Registered
690 Posts
That is the problem with public land. Because it is just that, Public.

·
Registered
239 Posts
if you did that to me i wouldnt move, i would just be kinda pissed someone was messing with my stuff, personally i think leaving him a note would be the best idea, but remember, it is public land, if he wanted he could climb right up under you on the same tree and get comfy, thats what sucks about public land, some guys dont have any respect for other hunters, good luck with it though

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would be pi_ _ ed off if someone bothered it. If it doesn't belong to you then leave your hands off of it!!!! I understand your wanting to hunt that spot BUT, it is PUBLIC LAND!! and everyone has as much right to hunt there as you do.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,215 Posts
Your secret spot on public land is available to others as well.

I would never touch another person's stand. Who is to say he didn't find it first?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
"secret spot" & "public land"

Usually dont go together very well. Unfortunatley he has as much right to be there as you do. The best thing to happen is for you to meet him and you guys work out when each other is going to hunt the area. Otherwise its first come first serve.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd just walk a little further in. There is a chance that he put up the stand and can't even find it again. Of course, he could be a GPS hunter. I'm in about 3 miles as a rule and most times further. In over 20 years, I've seen one set of human tracks about a 1/2 mile in. Remember it is public, so be nice if you meet him.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had all my stands set 3 weeks prior to the season this year. Well on the opener I had to drive 2 hours to get to my number 1 stand just to find a climber at the base of a tree 40 yards from mine and a pile of apples 25 yards from my stand. I was pissed for a few reasons but number 1 reason being hunting over bait is illeagal. I filld his seat with the apples and left. didnt go back for a few weeks and by then it was gone. Stand , apples and all.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've never hunted public ground before and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against the law to leave a stand in over night on public ground?

·
Play hard...Die happy
637 Posts
Always get different responses to these questions, depending on if it's even legal to leave the stand in the woods. The guy should be lucky his stand is still even there being a climber and all. In WI you can't leave stands over night on public land and if the DNR finds it they can take it.
I guess I wouldn't be mad if someone did that to my stand but would be out there way early if I planned on hunting that area and hunting a different general direction depending on wind/funnels.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
I used to have illusions that the public land I was hunting had spots that were either oblivious or out of reach from other public hunters. Because of numerous encounters such as yours with equipment left by others, or worse, trash left by others, I now realize my situation and just concentrate on food sources and animal movement patterns. I make it a rule not to mess with "anyones stuff" because I wouldn't want them to be putting their paws on mine! Granted I don't leave my stuff there for others to mess with. JMO

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I would be pi_ _ ed off if someone bothered it. If it doesn't belong to you then leave your hands off of it!!!! I understand your wanting to hunt that spot BUT, it is PUBLIC LAND!! and everyone has as much right to hunt there as you do.
So you are saying that it is okay for a hunter to "claim" a tree by hanging a stand on Public land even though it is "first come, first served". And that by doing so no one else can use that tree? In most places if you hang a stand on public land ANYONE can use it. The OP didn't use it, just moved it so he could use the tree. If you leave a stand in/on a tree you take your chances.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Leave a note. Ask him to call you.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I had all my stands set 3 weeks prior to the season this year. Well on the opener I had to drive 2 hours to get to my number 1 stand just to find a climber at the base of a tree 40 yards from mine and a pile of apples 25 yards from my stand. I was pissed for a few reasons but number 1 reason being hunting over bait is illeagal. I filld his seat with the apples and left. didnt go back for a few weeks and by then it was gone. Stand , apples and all.
Wonder if he thought "Wow, the deer don't like apples." :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
30 minutes is just when we start get going. We go anywhere from 2-3.5 hours in but if you can get at least an hour in you should have it to yourself and the hunting is usually better the further in you go on public land. Good luck!

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
You didn't steal it, you didn't hurt it, so I see no issues, It is public land overall.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Yes, but you also do not have a right to "homestead" public land either. This is one of the biggest causes of confrontations in the public land hunting world. The "I have hunted here for years, so you cannot come near this spot" syndrome. In fact, I know of one group that will challenge you to a fight if you even enter the same woods they hunt.

I would not mess with someone else's stand. If the stand does not have the person's name and address on it (Michigan law), I would report it to the DNR with GPS coordinates. If it is there legally, I would simply keep hunting the location. Eventually, other hunters tire of "friendly" hunting and move on.
Dan

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Well first off I have to say if you touched my climber we'd have a problem

Its public land and EVERYONE is entitled to hunt so long as they are legal

I understand your concern however and I wouldn't put a stand up by someone else without talking with them about hunting

I mean I wouldn't want to be out there and you show up and I wouldn't want to bust out your hunt either, thats a lose / lose situation.

I think its poor hunter/hunter etiquette

Leave a note, don't move it, if something happens like the stand breaking you are opening yourself up to being liable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
cut some giant bigfoot shaped pieces of wood, strap them to your feet and leave tracks all around his spot, he will never go in them woods again:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts