Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
If your talking about deer, try and get them to stop, I would shoot a slow moving deer close range, aiming for the front of the kill and the arrow will still hit in the boiler room, if your talking about running deer, I would definetly forget that unless your real practiced at that stuff. I shoot 3d running deer in novelty shoots at local archery ranges and after awhile I can get fairly good at it, but the first arrow or two is usually a blank or much worse a non-fatal shot, but if one practiced it enough I am sure they could get good enough to shoot at a running deer with some confidence. A well practiced longbow or a recurve shooter without sights could probably make this shot alot better than most sighted compound shooters, just that they can cant the bow and swing on a lead some faster, in my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just my opinion but I think shooting at a running deer with stick and string would be highly unethical. Practice is different. We owe it to the animal and our sport to make the highest percentage shot possible. The anti's have enough ammo. Let's not give them anymore. We don't need wounded deer running around or dying unrecovered for a hiker or landowner to find and taint our reputation. I would consider shooting a walking deer only if it was dead broadside and I was shooting a fast enough bow to pretty much nullify any lead.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Easy now........the Rob don't think b0whunt3r61 is talking about a live Deer since the word "TARGET" was there instead of "DEER".:D

I know Buckmasters uses a track system of some type to pull the targets on a carrage type deal. Have seen some folks use a sloping cable for the target to slide down. One dude had an old garage door motor hooked up pulling a target.

Someone came up with a system a few years back. Seems like they had a web site too. You could search Yahoo using "moving targets"+"Archery" an get some good ideas.

By the way......if you get a system up and run, can the Rob come by and practice?:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're right Rob. I think bOhunt3r61 was talking about targets also now that I look back at his post. Dave2's post talked about shooting at "running deer" and that is what I was responding to. Maybe he too was talking of targets only.:)

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
My sons & I wanted moving targets to practice up for pheasants.......we found that throwing them manually was the only way to make it so that you could not guess the targets path before it ever entered the air.
We started with couch cushions and after much practice cut them in half, then in quarters.
After becomming proficient,we moved on to pipe caps.(being a pipefitter,they were readily available and many sizes)They flew farther longer.
We don't get alot of birds,but we have a ball.
A local shop uses a starter moter with a chain and gears for indoor..............its pretty easy to guess the path.........but who can resist shooting at moving baloons?
Have fun,
Jerry

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was talking about a TARGET. not deer. but you are right. i already thought about a garage system but i was lokking for more ideas. thanx

·
Registered
105 Posts
At the Buckarama in Perry, Ga this year they used targets on angle iron ramps held in place with trunk latches. Hit the latch and the target rolls down to a stop for the shot. The shooter doesn't know which target out of 8 will be released. The last shot each round was a deer moving right to left. They controled it with a trolling motor engine. Just another option to the garage door motor.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A few years back my neighbors Bob and Shane wanted a moving target to make things interesting. Ol Bob is a pretty smart fellow and he came up with a way to do it without spending a fortune!

They mounted a Turkey 3D target to a skateboard (Shane's son sacrificed the board to archery I think). The skateboard rolled on an inclined ramp with split planks. From the center of the skateboard they put a bolt that fastened into skate wheels UNDER the ramp. This is sort of the way a roller coaster is held on the track.

The bird is pulled up the ramp by a rope run through a pulley so that the guy controlling it is standing beside the shooter. When the shooter is ready, he yells "PULL" , the rope is released and the bird rolls down the incline. This happens between two trees about 5 yards apart so the shooter only has that little window to shoot. A lot of arrows go over, under, ahead, and behind. Mostly a lot of turkey "butt shots" happen. It is a lot of fun.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts