Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in school to be a lineman and I have applied for a couple jobs in Iowa. My first question is how long do I need to live there to be able to get a resident tag? Second what are some of the better parts of the state to hunt? How's the oelwein area?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You have to have an address in Iowa 90 days before you can apply for residency. As for Iowa, pretty much everywhere is good except way NW (Have a farm there and it is good pheasant buy deer not so much) Most people will tell you anything below I-80 but don't forget spots North of I-80 and East of I-35.

Good luck in your job search.

As for Oelwein...no idea

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
Oelwien is a good area. You aren't far from Alamakee and Clayton counties, which are considered some of the best the in the state, and pretty much anywhere along the east side of the state is excellent.

The post above is correct - you need to live in IA for 90 days before you can get resident licenses.

I moved to Iowa 2.5 years ago and have loved it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check out the DNR website and look at the antlerless quotas, this will give you a good idea on population. http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/page%206%20hunt%20regs.pdf their page also shows book bucks by county. Some have very few. http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/iowatrophydeer.pdf

The southern two tiers of counties east of I-35 and the northeast corner are bigger timber areas. The bottom two tiers west of I-35 are smaller timbers for the most part along with woodlots. There are exception along the bigger rivers. The rest of the state is primarily woodlots, timbered/woody draws and fence lines. Part of the state has very few trees due to intense farming. There is good and bad to both. This is primarily a corn and soybean state so every available acre gets planted.

·
Liv4Rut
7,304 Posts
There isn't much right around oelwein but you aren't too far from the volga river that is pretty good. My preference is southern Iowa anywhere from Ottumwa to Chariton.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Oelwien is a good area. You aren't far from Alamakee and Clayton counties, which are considered some of the best the in the state, and pretty much anywhere along the east side of the state is excellent.

The post above is correct - you need to live in IA for 90 days before you can get resident licenses.

I moved to Iowa 2.5 years ago and have loved it.
462 tags have been issued for shooting 200 dear near Harpers Ferry in Allamakee county for cwd.

·
quality not quantity
1,287 Posts
462 tags have been issued for shooting 200 dear near Harpers Ferry in Allamakee county for cwd.
Yup. If I was moving here with deer on my mind right now I'd be looking at the southern counties. Having said that I love the NE corner and fishing on the River there. So if that factors in Oelwien could be good. Plus coming from Wisconsin you may be used to the CWD scare. Really just getting here is a start.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I grew up in way NW Iowa. The above post is correct in regards of not great deer hunting way up here. Unless you have good access to a nice farm along the river. There are plenty of good deer running around those parts yet.

But if you want to be in an area to have more access to more farms... NE Iowa and the Southern 1/3 tier will be your best bet. Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. In Iowa are you basically just hunting river bottoms? Just looking on the Internet the only woods for the most part are on the rivers, just not use to that in Wisconsin. Also is there much public land near the oelwien area?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live in the North Central region. Not a ton of monsters here, but there are some damn nice deer around. SE Iowa produces tons of monsters, and NE Iowa has quite a few giants as well. All depends on location and the time you can put into hunting those big boys.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I live and hunt in the NE corner and the deer numbers has been in decline for last 3 years . We had EHD a few years ago and now CWD .

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Dont forget, If you have ever applied, bought a preference point, or drawn a tag in Iowa as a Non-resident, you will have to contact the DNR as soon as you arrive and get your Iowa drivers license. There is a process to get your information changed over from Non resident to Resident. It cannot be done when you go to buy your hunting license after 90 days there, as places that sell licenses cannot change it over for you. You have to contact the DNR directly. It sometimes takes a couple weeks to get sorted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts