Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So my wife is fed up with NY finally, I've been waiting for her to come around. She wants to move south where the winters are not as harsh and 6 months long. After just having a spinal fusion in March i'm ok with not shoveling anymore.

We are seriously considering KY (Louisville, Bowling Green,Lexington) area for climate, but also because I have to move somewhere where there is a major public university for work.

I'd prefer and area where I have a shot at some nice bucks. What is the public land situation like there? Are they crowded during archery season? Can you get away from people. Any-other states in the area with great hunting and good weather.

Thanks
Bret

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont know about hunting down there, but Louisville would not be on my list of a city to live in. Lexington is much nicer, and Bowling green is not too bad either.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Man I hate to say this because so many folks are moving here, but Nashville is the way to go. I’m from Ky, but I’ve been here 10 years. There is a thriving archery community and about 50k acres of public land within an hours drive. Not to mention that if you pick a little bedroom community around Nashville you’ll probably find someone to let you hunt their farm. Real estate is still pretty reasonable and you could work at Vanderbilt, or TSU, or Mtsu. All within 45 minutes(ish) of downtown. Just my two cents. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
I dont know about hunting down there, but Louisville would not be on my list of a city to live in. Lexington is much nicer, and Bowling green is not too bad either.
x2 on Louisville and Lexington imo.
May be a change from NY, but these are the two most liberal cities in the state.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
I lived outside Nashville for 20 years, lots of deer, but due to the mentality of gun hunters, the quality is not as good as KY. My In-laws are in western KY and I often hunted there, way more wall hangers IMO. If possible, go with Bowling Green for quality deer. Have a look at Virginia also. Usually farm land and quality deer go hand in hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, we do not get the snow like NY does, but we do get snow and even ice. I would avoid Louisville. Outside of Nashville wouldn’t be bad, but Nashville traffic is a nightmare. I’m in the far western end of KY.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
22,921 Posts
==================

Hello
And X2
I was born in Kentucky. [ Later

·
22,921 Posts
x2 on Louisville and Lexington imo.
May be a change from NY, but these are the two most liberal cities in the state.
========
Hello and X2 [ Later

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I live about 25 min from Louisville across river in Indiana. Hunting is good in Indiana and Kentucky along river. If I was coming from NY I would buy in Indiana and cross bridge into Louisville to work if need be.

·
Mark
5,220 Posts
Weather is better than NY and we have 4 seasons, although some seem short. The “Golden Triangle” as it’s called is very good hunting, Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati. Western part also good hunting, eastern not so much. Do you like fishing or boating? KY has a lot of good lakes from small to very large, central to south west area best offering. Check out “land between the lakes” area.

I live in the northern area, 30 minutes south of Cincinnati, pm if you have any questions regarding northern part.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Don't rule out Southern Ohio. I'm from western NY. We're moving in late spring. Plenty of hunting there, real estate prices VERY good.

·
22,921 Posts
Hello
For me Morehead Kentucky They have a collage [ Later

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m from more central Ky not far from Elizabethtown. You would be an hour from Louisville bowling green and Lexington. Which is not bad. Look at hunting Ft Knox government land... give you a lot of opportunities

·
Registered
302 Posts
Whichever place you are looking to go, definitely get on LBAR or other websites and look at that city plus surrounding counties. A county or two over can have a significant price difference in similar properties

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Don't rule out Southern Ohio. I'm from western NY. We're moving in late spring. Plenty of hunting there, real estate prices VERY good.
Agreed. You could look into Ohio University. I don’t live terribly far from there.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Southern Ohio is far better than KY. I grew up in Ohio, and moved to Louisville. If it wasn't for having a good job here I wouldn't want to be here. I just returned from Ohio deer hunting, a lot more places to hunt in Ohio, more state land, a lot larger deer. Most good places around me are lease hungry, and it's getting worse. Auto insurance down here is very expensive also, being a "no fault" state, about 2-3X more than Ohio.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I've lived about 1 1/2 hours East of Lexington my whole life other than traveling for work. Louisville would definitely be off my list and I'd try to stay on the outskirts of Lexington around the horse farms and more rural areas. I'm not sure how much public land is available in those areas but it should be fairly easy to find a place to hunt reasonably close.

·
22,921 Posts
Hello guys
I live in southern Ohio. A lot of state and Mead land
Close to Ky close to West Virginia. Not far from Columbus Ohio or Cin-E nattie Ohio.
Top hunting and archery area. Just a hot bed of archers.I can think of 5 archery clubs right off.
Look up Portsmouth Ohio for there coledge. My son works there. I live about 20 miles north of Portsmouth. [ Later

1 - 20 of 38 Posts