Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BIRD HUNTER
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high do you mow Chicory ? I have a small plot i put in in early spring with mossy oak clover plus , its doing well and is at least 20" I thinking it needs to be mowed How far should i take it down?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't mow it, just let it be.

That's what I have done last year when mine was new and getting tall. Come fall and all the crops are taken down they will eat it down to nothing.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
How high do you mow Chicory ? I have a small plot i put in in early spring with mossy oak clover plus , its doing well and is at least 20" I thinking it needs to be mowed How far should i take it down?
I have an 18 acre field planted in clover and chicory, that we cut and bale as "hay" for cows.

It gets cut down to about three inches every 28 days, and grows back enough in the next 28 days to cut and bale again.

So, pretty much whatever your mower will do as a semi-high cutting should be fine. I doubt that it's a critical measurement.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Another thought.... I'd probably mow it before it reaches 20" again.

We cut, not mow, so it's a bit different. Actually mowing 20" high stuff is going to leave a bunch of clumped up cuttings, and be a raggedy job, neither of which are healthy for your plot.

I'd mow as high as possible this time, then mow again before it gets too high again.

FWIW, we see a lot more deer in this field shortly after it's cut, as opposed to when it's taller and reaching cutting height again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for posting but they only say "Plots may need to be mowed a couple of times during the summer months to discourage bolting (flowering) " They don't say how low to cut it.
In a pure chicory plot I always mowed it in the 2-3 inch range. In a clover mix it never bolted. It should be kept in check with regular mowing of your clover. Biologic clover plus has always been my favorite commercial seed. Going to plant a bag this fall next to an acre of my homemade clover blend and see if they prefer one over the other

·
Vendor
10,815 Posts
Mow it at least three times during the summer. I have mowed mine three times already this year. The three holidays works as a good reminder. Memorial day,July 4th and Labor Day. I set my mower at 4" and go. 3" would work as would 5". It helps keep broadleaves in check as well.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Is this pure chicory or is there clover? if there is clover, do not mow lower than 8inches

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Don't mow it when it is draught stressed or before a long period of hot and dry weather!

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I cut my clover about 6-8" and I usually cut it 4 times a year. The more you cut it the more tender chutes that grow back, hence why 4th cutting alfalfa is always more expensive than the 1st or 2nd. The deer will prefer it the more its cut.

I agree with not cutting too short when it is heat/drought stressed. Best to mow before a rain. Mowing will also take care of more weed problems by the the 3rd or 4th time.

Its good you whacked it, but at 12" its going to grow back really fast.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Mow it at least three times during the summer. I have mowed mine three times already this year. The three holidays works as a good reminder. Memorial day,July 4th and Labor Day. I set my mower at 4" and go. 3" would work as would 5". It helps keep broadleaves in check as well.
wow, that is crazy low for clover. You are chancing stunting your clover and if a hot or dry spell hits right after you mow your plot is dead. ive seen it happen even in northern states. Just saying. It is recommended to only mow clover down to 8inches, maybe 6inches in spring and fall.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
That picture looks like there are some non clover or chicory plants growing in there. So maybe mowing isn’t a bad idea. Otherwise I don’t mow my clover/chicory plots. They’ve never grown up to my knee. Maybe I have more browsing pressure than you. I’d also be careful how short you mow it because right now those plants are probably shading the soil pretty well. Let the sun hit the soil and it will heat up fast and get hard in the dry summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
We always cut to around 4 inches after the field starts to flower. This way always did well. Usually the first cut of the year I would then throw fertilizer (little to 0 nitrogen) and make sure to cut before a rain.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
... I would then throw fertilizer (little to 0 nitrogen) ...
Yep.

Clover actually doesn't need N fertilizer, as it "produces" it's own (not exactly, as it's a bacteria that lives in the roots that fixes the nitrogen, but it's generally just said that the "clover makes nitrogen").

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you are going to mow it, wait until after Memorial Day or you may be mowing fawns. A lot of does drop fawns around Memorial Day. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts