Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article was in The InterMountain, www.theintermountain.com , today. Judge for yourself.:secret: Look under Local News, more articles.

PAW IMPRESSION — West Virginia Division of Natural Resources officials are investigating what may have killed an 800-pound horse in Lewis County. Large paw prints, believed to be those of a large cat, were found near the site as well as hairs on a nearby fence. There have been no confirmed sightings of mountain lions in the area and investigators have not released any further details.

The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources is looking into what sort of animal may have mauled a horse shortly after Christmas.

DNR spokesman Hoy Murphy said he could not comment on the investigation. Evidence, including large paw prints and hair on a fence, was discovered by investigators.

A horse belonging to the grandson of Cathy James, who lives in the Churchville area of Lewis County, was apparently killed by a large cat on Dec. 26. She said the horse was fine that afternoon, but around 4:30 p.m. Dec. 26, family members heard loud noises coming from the pasture where the horse was. Her son-in-law went to check out where the noises were coming from, and he discovered the mauled body of the 800-pound horse.

James said the horse's body had puncture marks, a ripped-open jugular vein and a large amount of blood was on the ground around the body. Fresh paw prints were found two days later near the area were the horse was killed.

The type of animal is not known, except that it is a large cat. There have been no confirmed mountain lion sightings in the area. James said neighbors have told her that they have lost sheep, goats and dogs recently.

The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources is looking into what sort of animal may have mauled a horse shortly after Christmas.

DNR spokesman Hoy Murphy said he could not comment on the investigation. Evidence, including large paw prints and hair on a fence, was discovered by investigators.

A horse belonging to the grandson of Cathy James, who lives in the Churchville area of Lewis County, was apparently killed by a large cat on Dec. 26. She said the horse was fine that afternoon, but around 4:30 p.m. Dec. 26, family members heard loud noises coming from the pasture where the horse was. Her son-in-law went to check out where the noises were coming from, and he discovered the mauled body of the 800-pound horse.

James said the horse's body had puncture marks, a ripped-open jugular vein and a large amount of blood was on the ground around the body. Fresh paw prints were found two days later near the area were the horse was killed.

The type of animal is not known, except that it is a large cat. There have been no confirmed mountain lion sightings in the area. James said neighbors have told her that they have lost sheep, goats and dogs recently.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a picture with the article.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not too long ago a guy claimed to see an african lion in WV woods.:mg:

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
there are no mountain lions in WV,,,it wasn't one that killed my neighbors horse,it wasn't one that left 2 foot claw marks on a horse 2 miles down the road,that screen you hear at night is not one either,,and you can't shoot whats not here........must have been a bobcat.:loco:

·
Registered
14,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
why not bait & shoot the thing , if its not there no one will miss it.

a nice fat sheep on a rope in a feild , you set in a tree about 150 yds away with a rifle, sounds like fun to me . happy days

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
My brother in law has a pic of one in the northern panhandle of WV. I havent' seen it yet but he said he would show it to me. When he does, I'll take a dig. pic of it so i can post it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cats are here...My brother has personally seen one twice about 5 years ago around Stonewall Jackson Lake in Lewis County. They had docked the boat and walked one of the old roads that was there before the lake was built and had a big cat cross the road in front of them...long tail and all. Here kitty kitty

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chupacabra.
Thanks for the correction.

Just a couple of months ago a man in Pocahontas Co., WV had a tiger escape from it's enclosure near Snowshoe Ski Resort. The owner & a guy from the DNR tracked the tiger to an overhanging spruce tree when the tiger jumped out. The owner shot & killed it even though the DNR agent had a tranquilizer gun. The owner of the tiger had an Asian Black Bear escape previously but it has not been found.

Growing up in Hampshire Co. & Tucker Co., WV I have heard many stories about "panthers" but the only hard core evidence that I have read about was 2 sets of mt. lion tracks beside a coal truck near Baird, WV. Plaster casts were made and sent to be analysed. They were determined to be the tracks of an adult female and a cub. I have heard many cats scream in my life but as far as I know they were bobcats.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts