Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used a lineman's belt before and I cannot make sense of the tiny pictures on the instructions from Muddy to make sure I am getting it right. Does anyone know of any online videos of how to properly set it up and use it. I set it up the way I think it should go but I would like to be a bit more confident about having it right. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a muddy harness and the lineman's belt is very simple to use. Put one of the loops in the caribiner that's by the waist, wrap the belt around the tree, and then hook the other loop into the other caribiner. Then adjust the belt to the length of your liking. When you are up off the ground you should be able to lean back and put all your weight on the belt without falling and have both hands free. That's how I hang my hang-on stands. I recommend trying to use the belt to support your weight while just a few feet off the ground to get comfortable with how it feels. And when you have it and you feel ok with it go on up the tree. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
there are two loops on the harness itself. take the rope end of the linesman, the one that has the rope loop and put it through one of the loops on the harness. now pass the metal caribiner through the rope loop and wrap that caribiner around the tree and hook it to the other loop on your harness. you can easily move the black prusic knot to adjust the slack, but if you fall, the tension will hold tight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not just you, brother. I got a muddy harness last week and was really mad about the crappy instructions. The DVD that came with it was a complete joke as well. It was some generic video about the importance of wearing a harness and tree stand safety in general. I just dropped $100 on a harness, why would I need to watch a video about the importance of wearing a harness? Who knows...maybe it is a legal requirement. I expected a nice how-to video about properly adjusting and using the harness and accessories.

As you already mentioned, the instructions are completely worthless. The pictures are tiny and the wording is stupid. I appreciate how hard it is to write instructions for something like this. "Put the loop through the other loop and pass a loop through the loop on your harness and wrap it around the tree and put it through the loop with the carabiner. Don't forget to adjust the prusik." That's how it read to me. Heck, that's how the other two people replying to this thread sound to me!! Ttank doesn't even mention the prusik, and nthewild throws it in at the end with little explanation. Maybe this stuff is supposed to be obvious? Once you play with it, it does seem a bit obvious...but I don't think a manufacturer should rely on that. How much would it cost for them to produce a video and include a DVD copy with every harness? Maybe $1 per harness.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, or someone who is just looking for something to complain about. I almost had a really bad fall last year. Luckily, I was able to hang on for dear life, but I ended up with both arms severely bruised and a serious fear of falling. I bought the muddy because it is so well recommended on this site. I just assumed that it would come with adequate instructions. I don't like having to resort to the internet to find these things out. For all I know, the person providing advice is a moron who's been wearing and using his wrong for years.

The way I've ended up using it is like ttank explained. The ****e instructions only mention using the clip-style carabiner with the linesman, so using both is not the "official" way of doing it...but it has worked for me while hanging a few stands. I attach the triangle shaped carabiner to the loop on the end of the linesman rope. I attach the other carabiner to the loop of the prusik knot. I attach the triangle carabiner to the harness on the left side, then sling the linesman rope around the tree and connect the other carabiner (on the prusik) to the right side of my harness. Then slide the prusik to get the right length and head up the tree.

I plan to use my harness with permanent life-lines installed in all my stand trees. I went to a rock climbing store and picked up some rope for the main lines and prusik knots. It really makes things convenient. Muddy and HSS sell similar set-ups, but it was much cheaper for me to buy rope and make my own.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. I did have a general idea of how this would work. I basicly put the loop end of the line through the harness, and then pulled the whole line through the loop to secure one side. I put the carabaner onto the loop of the prussic knot and attached it to the other side. The picture in the instructions actually looks like the carabaner is hooked through the linemans hoop and the hoop for the SRS, which I thought was weird. I am not one to read directions and watch the videos with the exception of gear that may save my life such as this. I was pretty dissappointed that the directions and pictures were so crappy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I found the linesman's rope with the prussic knot on my Muddy Harness to be a big pain in the arse, because I basically had to use both hands to shorten or lengthen the lead, and it took some doing to. I finally began using an extra Lone Wolf strap with a cam buckle as my linesman's rope. I put a carabiner on each of the loops of the cam strap, which attach to the loops on the harness, and what do you know, a perfect solution. I can shorten or lengthen my lead with one hand now, and that cam buckle is as strong as anything. Holds my 250 pounds against that tree, without a fraction of an inch of creep in that strap. I've been doing this for two seasons now, and it feels very safe.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. I did have a general idea of how this would work. I basicly put the loop end of the line through the harness, and then pulled the whole line through the loop to secure one side. I put the carabaner onto the loop of the prussic knot and attached it to the other side. The picture in the instructions actually looks like the carabaner is hooked through the linemans hoop and the hoop for the SRS, which I thought was weird. I am not one to read directions and watch the videos with the exception of gear that may save my life such as this. I was pretty dissappointed that the directions and pictures were so crappy.
thats how I do it also...the instructions are a bit vague...I had to read them and mess with it a few times before I got it

·
Cull-buck magnet
825 Posts
I found the linesman's rope with the prussic knot on my Muddy Harness to be a big pain in the arse, because I basically had to use both hands to shorten or lengthen the lead, and it took some doing to. I finally began using an extra Lone Wolf strap with a cam buckle as my linesman's rope. I put a carabiner on each of the loops of the cam strap, which attach to the loops on the harness, and what do you know, a perfect solution. I can shorten or lengthen my lead with one hand now, and that cam buckle is as strong as anything. Holds my 250 pounds against that tree, without a fraction of an inch of creep in that strap. I've been doing this for two seasons now, and it feels very safe.
I also use the extra Lone Wolf strap with cambuckle. Easy one-handed adjustment. It sucks to have to spend an extra $9.99 plus shipping, but it truly makes a world of difference vs. trying to adjust a prusik that has been loaded. If you don't want to go with the LW strap, learn how to tie a Klemheist, which is easier to adjust than a prusik and works just as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts