Archery Talk Forum banner

Mule Deer in North Dakota

2883 3
I have gone out to Grassey Butte 3 times, all in october, planning another trip for 09 but thinking of going in September, what is the best time to go, early sept, late sep. or oct. looking for any advice. also would south of 85 be any better hunting, i think it is a lot flatter than the badlands that i have been hunting. We have seen good numbers of deer, just looking for somthing different.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
779 Posts
Sometimes early in Sept. can be better as there haven't been alot of hunters out there yet. In Oct. the grouse season has normaly been open for awhile and the antelope rifle season opens the first part of Oct. so they tend to be a little bit more wary. I still prefer Oct.

Not sure what you mean by south of 85 as 85 runs north and south. Do you mean I-94? That runs east and west.

If you want to try something different, try the Killdeer Mountain area to the east of Grassy Butte, or go way down south in the Bowman - Marmarth area, although there is not as much public land down south.

huntin1

· Registered
779 Posts
The Medora area is good as well, but you'll find that the badlands there are almost as rugged as the Grassy Butte area. I've seen lots of mule deer just north of TRNP.

The Killdeer area has lots of both mule deer and whitetail and is a great area for spot and stalk and still hunting. Here's a couple of pic's in the killdeer area.

huntin1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.