Archery Talk Forum banner

Murphy on Opening Day

710 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Silage_Man26
Anyone have any good Murphy stories for opening day?

I get up nice and early, about 4:15, couldn't sleep. Shower get ready. Had all my stuff packed up in a tote to take in my jeep to keep my scent free stuff good. Anyway, I get to my spot, dammit, i forgot my rope, no big deal. I go to get dressed and my long sleeve t-shirt, it was warm this morning on Long Island, shrunk in the wash. It was an XL now the size of a large, maybe. Ok. so I pull up my pants and tighten my belt, it breaks. ARG!! Ok so i duck tape my pants tight. I get my gear all squared away. Find my marker to get to my tree, i got a climber, damn thieves, start walking in , all of a sudden i lose my marked trail. It ends up something... happened and my tape ended up elsewhere, anyway I find a good tree, oh yeah, its off and on mist/raining. So I get my stand up and running, its new so a little quirky, get up in my stand relaxing. Its about 5:50-6am, I realize my license in in my Jeep. Here in NY you have to have your license on you and visable at all times. So here I am, its starting to get light and I have to decide to risk it or get down and get my license. So i go get my license, get back to my stand and finally am ready. At 6:47, the legal start time, I nock an arrow. I stand up and draw back to check clearances, my release pops my arrow off my string as I am undrawing??? it. Its cool, i got 2 more in the quiver. Go to put one one, just refletched, the feathers where put on wrong and my rest would interfear with arrow flight, thank god I got three arrows.. So I got to put the last one on, and damned if the nock is slightly damamged. I swear when i picked out my arrows, I checked all the nocks. It works, but is a little lose. Oh yeah, in the 4 hours i sat in the stand, i had to look at my upper axel pin that had lost its retaining washer and is about 1/4 inch out of the limb. So in the back of my head I am thinking that if i have to pull on a nice buck, it will pop and blow up in my face. Luckily, or unluckily, I saw jack squat all morning and went and got my bow fixed, as best he could becasue the pin is smaller than the ones currently used, but thats what i get for having a bow from the early to mid 80's. So hopefully friday afternoon my luck will change and I will at least see a deer.

I hope everyone else's opeong day was better than mine.

Scott
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
My only advice to you is to check your equipment before the hunt. Good luck

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
:darkbeer:pSE makes the best bows for under 500$ You cant hardly beat the Brute :darkbeer:

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Yeah kinda sounds like me. Fri nite arrive at parents and realize that I don't have a flashlight-head to Wally world. Sat morning couldn't find my stand. Found stand and sat all day and didn't see a thing. Sun morning go out. Dad only put one hook in tree( we put 2 in 1 for bow and one for backpack.) Hook bow, find branch for pack-branch breaks. Finally get settled, figure out that my bow has a cracked limb.

· Registered
34 Posts
man i know your feeling i have had bad days to except my bad day left my bow hanging on a bow hanger while my friends jerry rigged ladderstand and my self took a swirl down the tree into a crashing painful pile now after recovering from falling and my friends laughing i had to figure out how to get my bow back from the tree.

anyway bad things can and will happen you just gotta keep on keepin on.

oh and the martin firecat is the s**t just got mine this year and love this beast it has so much power its hard to find a target that will stop my arrows.

· Classifieds Administrator
39,738 Posts
Great story even with all your bad luck. Had to laugh as at one point we all had to be in that predictment with at least one of your mishaps but you managed to get all the mishaps on the same day! :grin:

Still beats a great day at work! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.