Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch the Musk Ox hunt last night? It was on one of the outdoor channels. If you aren’t familiar with that animal, it lives somewhere way up north. The terrain was completely barren, flat with only snow on the ground. They looked kind of like a small buffalo with longer hair.

The hunter was using a rifle and was standing completely in the open. The first hunt, the shot was around 100 yards. There were three Musk Ox together. It looked like they were huddling for warmth. The hunter took the shot and the animal went down. The other two Musk Ox moved only a few feet away and just stood there. They showed the hunter approaching the animals. He was almost running towards them. It looked like he got with in 30 yards or so. They didn’t show it, but it appeared that he was trying to run off the other two Musk Ox. While the camera was on, the animals showed no interest in the hunter.

I may be wrong, but it looked like a completely effortless hunt. I know the value of trophy hunting and have no problems with it. After all, the animals are on the Super Slam list. It just didn’t look like a hunt. They walked up to the animals, shot the biggest and ran the other two off. Shooting a cow would have been more difficult.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I caught part of a musk ox hunt last night on Archer's Choice I think it was. Just saw them talking about it and caught a glimpse of some people walking up to a herd of them (then i turned back to the Dolphins vs. Steelers game). Not sure what weapon they were using or anything else.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jamaro said:
The biggest part of that hunt is the adventure and travel...
I'd agree with that. Just can't see much "thrill" in the hunt.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I agree with jamaro also. Musk Ox rarely, if ever, see a human. And from what i have read about them, they don't run away from predators. They aren't very fast, so they just huddle together for protection. They will form a circle and try to fight off any predators rather than run. I think any hunt that far north in those conditions would be an adventure in itself.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
I never read of anyone going to kill one of those and saying it wasn't much of a hunt.

Tis very easy to watch from the comfy of your home and think it ain't much to do.

I would love to do it with a bow, however I know I would pretty much freeze to death...so I will stick to deer and hogs :tongue:

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
It's a fact that the musk ox aren't very humanized. Their natural instinct when threatened or approached by something unfamiliar is put calves in the middle and the whole group gets in a circle with their heads pointing out. They cover all directions and I really don't think you want one of them to charge you if you get too close.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not saying the trip wouldn’t be an adventure. It just doesn’t seem that challenging to stick an animal that just stands there and watches you approach because it isn’t educated or familiar with humans. As I mentioned, I think it would be a cool trophy, but what kind of story would you tell about the actual killing of the animal? “It was really cold when I walked up to it within bow range. Then I shot it. The two next to it were so fearful they took a few steps away. As I approached the downed animal I had to scare the other two off.” Why not shoot all three? They weren’t going anywhere. At least fish in a barrel are moving.

Would I go on a Musk Ox hunt? Sure I would, it would be a once in a lifetime (for me) opportunity. I’m sure I’d have a lot of fun too, but from the hunt I saw last night the actual stalk and killing wouldn’t be difficult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts