Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting the muzzy 100gr. 4 blade broadheads. I am wondering if I will see a difference in the 3 blade flight pattern. The only reason I ask is because I bought some 3 blade muzzy's by accident and wonder if I should just take them back. I have a drop of 4-6 inches when I switch from field points to broadheads at 30 yards and didn't know if the 3 blade would come any closer to the field points. Anyone have any experience with this?

September 3rd our season begins if you are willing to fight off the skeeters!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I asked muzzy that same question last year and was told both fly identical my personal experiance is the same just sight in with what ever one you are going to use to be sure. you might here 3 blade must use 3 fletch & 4 requires 4 fletch Dont belive it it wont make any diff I tryed all combos with 100&125 gr

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, my field tips are the exact same. I thought that was a bit odd, but since they are dead center I am not about to do any tweaking. The guy at my pro shop said that Muzzy's tend to fly 6" high and 6" right. Well that wasn't the case for me. I am 4-6" low and center. I toyed with the idea of dropping to 90/95 grain to see if they will rise a little, but I haven't missed a deer YET.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I use the Muzzy 3 blade. Easier to handle, less planing surface, and better penetration due to less cutting drag than on the 4 blade models. I'm almost sure that reality would show no difference, but I've never been a big fan of reality. I've never felt that 4 blades offered any advantage over 3 blades and that logic would favor the 3 blade arrangement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have practiced with both 3 and 4 blade Muzzys in 100 grain, and they fly the same for me. I use them interchangably. You won't know if they do the same for you until you shoot them out of your bow though.

I have also shot the 125 grain 3 blade Muzzys and, all other things being equal, they hit about 2 inches lower than the 100 grain heads at 35 yards. I would shoot the heavier head if I wanted a little more penetration (like for a hog), but for deer the 100 grain heads are excellent.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 4-blade flew about the same as yours, but my 3-blade was alot closer to my field points for some reason.???

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
toomanyhobbies said:
Yes, my field tips are the exact same. I thought that was a bit odd, but since they are dead center I am not about to do any tweaking. [The guy at my pro shop said that Muzzy's tend to fly 6" high and 6" right.] Well that wasn't the case for me. I am 4-6" low and center. I toyed with the idea of dropping to 90/95 grain to see if they will rise a little, but I haven't missed a deer YET.
The pro shop guy needs to learn to tune a broadhead. If there is that much difference in flight then someone needs to spend a little time with their setup. If you are shooting 6" low at 30 yards and inline, then that should be a pretty easy fix. Granted you may end up with a little seperation between BH and fld point but that is not acceptable.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
I used 130 grain 4 blades for the last 12 years. Always flew fantastic! Long story but had to drop heads this year to 100 gr. Couldnt find a 4 bladed muzzy in the 100 grain range with a 1 and 3/16 cut. So switched to 3 bladed. They shoot just excellent. Of course I have one less blade to use my 80 Ke on now though so the arrow I shot at the deer yesterday passed through it plus another 30 yards. I need to find 4 blades again I think hehe.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Try moving your nock point down 1/16" inch at a time and see if your broad heads don't come closer to hitting where your field points do. I've been shooting 3 blade 100 gr Muzzy's for years and mine will hit exactly where field points do from 4 different bows out to 50 yds. If a bow is tuned properly, broadheads can be made to hit exactly where field points do.

If your using a launcher style rest like a TM Hunter style etc. try decreasing the spring tension on the prongs.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I have shot the 3 blade ( 100 ) for many years , but I have switched to the 4 blade ( 100 ) this year. I have shot the 3 & 4 blade and both hit the same , no difference

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I actually found for me the 4 blade 100 grain would fly better. The 3 blade 100 grain has a wider 1 3/16ths " cut and the 100 grain 4 blade is only 1". The higher blades act much the same way Blazer vanes do, the further from the shaft the blade is, the more effect on flight. Regardless is all boils down to a tuning issue for you. Unfortunately, you are better off learning to do this yourself, especially given the poor advice you have already received from your pro shop. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the best pro-shop

:D Unfortunately we don't have the best pro-shop guy. He tries really hard and is extremely friendly, but I don't think his knowledge is quite up to par. I thought it was a bit odd that a broadhead would fly "6" high and right normally". I was thinking, if that is normal then how in the heck could you ever get your broadheads and field points to match up. What would be the sense in even shooting a field point if is was going to be so far off!

I am shooting an Ultramag with a whisker biscuit. I have a string loop with a Scott's rhino release. I don't know much about moving the knocking point because the loop isn't adjustable. I'll be honest, I don't know much about archery other than shooting around in the yard and then hunting in the fall and winter. I know that if I begin tweaking my rest, sights or anything else just the slightest I tend to create more problems than Carter has liver pills! I don't have complete confidence in my pro-shop guy because he just hasn't sold me on his expertise. We have a Gander Mountain nearby, but I have been in a few times and just felt that my business wasn't valued (more like a number and a low one at best). I will give my pro-shop guy credit, whether I am buying a $500 bow or getting a $1.50 rubber piece for my peep sight, he is always giving me his complete attention. I think he just needs more experience and will come along with time. The only problem is the time is now.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
toomanyhobbies said:
I am not about to do any tweaking. The guy at my pro shop said that Muzzy's tend to fly 6" high and 6" right.
I have 125 gr 4 blade and 3 blades in my quiver at any given time. Fly the same for me and I just can't quite decide which kills them better. :D

If you want things right, you should do some tweaking. JeffPA has it right. A little nock pt adjustment is all you need, and will (probably) not affect your sight pin at all. It simply brings the bh and fp pt of impact together.

Sounds like you need a new pro shop guy. Statements like that, as if their bull crap opinions or theories are fact, is exactly why I will not go to pro shops around here. Every time I was in one (including Bass Pro's archery dept) I was either told, or overheard some kind of similar non-sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts