Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Just call me RETIRED !
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I see that Slick Tricks are backordered until Oct 22. I've been using last years for target practice (into sod butts) and was planning on using the new ones for this year and I'm hunting NEXT WEEK!!
The Muzzy MX-4's look kinda similar. Has anyone tried them?
Thanks.

·
11,954 Posts
I would really like to hear some thoughts too. Someone post up.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Despite what I "THINK" shtr posted (Didnt register at the site he posted so I couldnt read it), but being that every post ive seen about the muzzy mx4 from him, he doesnt like it, shtr, have you shot it? I too was in the same situation as you Larry, I opted to go for the MX4s... Ive shot them once and they performed well for me.. Shot right with my field points and seemed to do some damage to my targets.. After shooting them, they will definatly be in the woods with me this year since I couldnt get my hands on the ST`s..

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Meister said:
shtr, have you shot it?
Yes I did and it was not a flight performer.

In fact it was worse than the regular Muzzys in as much as they are not perfect fliers either at some point on the speed curve.

There were alot of posts that were venomous towards these MX-4 heads when they first came out and the die hard Muzzy fans ran out and shot them.

Some quotes were "JUNK" " GARBAGE" "COULDN'T HIT ANYTHING" LOST AN ARROW",ect. ect..

I remember all those quote and there were more so I had to shoot them myself to see if it was just staff shooters trying to knock a good product or if it was really a matter of these heads being lack luster.

They were to say the least , awful!:pukey:

I didn't want to say it and figured the test would be proof enough without my opinion added. :wink:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I seriously have no idea how people had such problems with these... I was a bit skeptical after seeing some of your posts (and a couple others).. I did see pleanty of thumbs up posts though that gave way for me to try them... I seriously did nothing more than put 6 heads on 6 brand new Axis 400s, spun them on a table (only had one wobble), took them outside and shot them.. They shot right with my field points out to 40 yards (besides the one with the wobble that I couldnt fix, it just shot left).. I dont know how they do past 40, but I dont feel the need to find out really.. BTW, im shooting 280ish out of my Allegiance, so I have no idea how they would shoot with any faster/slower..

·
Just call me RETIRED !
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm shooting a Hoyt Ultrasport at 57 lbs, Vapor 4000 arrows and Blazer vanes. The Tricks flew perfectly with field points. Looks like a weekend with the MX-4s or Wasp Boss 4-blades.
Not getting my Tricks for this year really, really sux.............

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
The positive comments I read where people did list bow speeds....seems to me they were in the average 260 something area.
(by memory here so dont hold me to close to that number :wink: )

The testing format that I put up as a link does not consider options such as throwing out unbalanced or un-uniform heads and the entire pack is shot and must be measured as a whole.

If there was a floater for whatever reason it would have been left in for the test.

These tests are done for the Joe average and not the tuner.

The theory is that by and large most people buy it,spin it on and go hunting.

Tests reflect what happens when this is done with any random package being tested.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I dont really like these BH "tests"... There are too many variables in the whole deal (with the accuracy part)... In all honesty, I am, by no means, a "GOOD" tuner (basically, tuning wise, ive learned most from here and just experimenting).... I did have Crackers do his thing with my bow though, so maybe that helped... I will also say, I am NOT one to push a product if it doesnt work for me... Trust me when I say this, if this head shot like crap for me, I definately wouldnt hold back my opinion or my findings after shooting it.. My findings are what I would say are "average joe" findings, well, an average joe who shoots as much as he can and spin checks his arrows haha..

·
Blade Maker
640 Posts
Personaly if you are looking at this type head I feel you would be better off with the Wasp Boss 4blade over the Muzzy. Wasp makes an outstanding head Strong, sharp and accurate. If you compare these to the simmilar Muzzy they are just superior. Thicker, stronger, sharper blades, better tip, same cutting dia and they are less expensive.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20059&hasJS=true

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I am hunting with the MX4 . When i sighted them in the hit just a tad left , haven't had a chance yet to stick anything with them , only been out twice so far but as soon as I do get to use them i will post some pic's of the wound .

·
Registered
55 Posts
muzzy's

I have shot 3 blade 100 grain muzzy's for a few years and decided to try the new MX-4 heads and see if the hype was real. The first time I shot them they flew a little low but after more inspection there were a few things to be tweaked on the bow and my arrows. I had put a hair more offset on my straight fletching to fix that part and had my timing corrected on my bow to fix that. I hear alot of people have trouble with making certain heads fly and others fly great, I used to believe that point. Since I have tuned my setup and found that 90% percent of 100 grain heads shoot well now. I have tested several heads and not looking to name any, also not putting a plug in for the muzzy's but I would put a plug in for getting your rig tuned. You owe it not only to yourself but the game you plan to harvest. Thew only time I really have trouble out of my muzzy's (wobble or not spinning) I stick a rubber o ring on them and they most of the time spin well after that. This is an average Joe's opinion only and I would not bash any head or product, what might not work well for one might be outstanding to another!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I too have read all the negative posts about the MX-4 and quite frankly I think it is absolute BULL****. The tests like shtr did mean absolutely nothing. He said it was done for the average Joe with no concerns about tuning, correct arrow spine or the right type of fletching. I mean DUH! If your bow is tuned and you have a correctly spined arrow and the type of fletch needed to properly stabilize the broadhead then ANY BROADHEAD will fly good and hit with fieldtips, END OF STORY. There is no way in H*** that this broadhead could shoot as bad as some on here say it does. Those people need to tune there bow and get some correctly spined arrows its that simple. Nothing personal towards anyone here but thats just the way it is.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Roadrunner said:
I too have read all the negative posts about the MX-4 and quite frankly I think it is absolute BULL****. The tests like shtr did mean absolutely nothing. He said it was done for the average Joe with no concerns about tuning, correct arrow spine or the right type of fletching. I mean DUH!
I dont know what you are refering too but I can assure you that you are blowing smoke out your hole!:mad:

If your bow is tuned and you have a correctly spined arrow and the type of fletch needed to properly stabilize the broadhead then ANY BROADHEAD will fly good and hit with fieldtips, END OF STORY. There is no way in H*** that this broadhead could shoot as bad as some on here say it does. Those people need to tune there bow and get some correctly spined arrows its that simple.
Buddy you are messed up! :D

I don't know why I care but I just cant let people like you (who obviously don't know a thing as to what they are talking about) go on a rant and not give them a back hand :rolleyes:

Do you even realize that there are something like 40K+ members here and the vast majority now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't have a clue? :confused:

If I were you....I'd be so embarrased after a rant like that......I'd never post again.

After I sobered up :wink: :darkbeer:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I just cant let that slam go :mad:

Let me tell you something Roadrunner!....all my tests carry Pics of all shots!

I give a 3" point of error before fail.....I show groups of field points with each head and I test with a passing head prior to each shoot.

In all my pics the field point arrows are grouped!
If the broadhead isn't within 3" it fails!

What is your problem buddy!

No body else puts it out there like I do.
Manufactures have come to me and used my work to master their flaws.

And still you post here and try and crap all over everything that I am attempting to do?.

I might add that I do it for free and I do it for the benefit of the hunter and the hunted....nothing else!

You can certainly disagree....of course!

But you come off as some pompous know it all master of the universe :pukey:

Who the heck do you think you are!?!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Whoa buddy what have I missed haha... Shtr, I wouldnt take peoples comments personal at all, but in a scence I do see where the guy is coming from.. I dont like to read a bunch of negative stuff about a product, then finally use it for myself and wonder why I hadnt used it earlier.. I mean, judging by your findings, I should be throwing these heads in the trash, but I tend to disagree and found that the heads work well (id like to say almost as well as the slick tricks I shot last year) for me out of my set up.. Every things going to shoot different, probably because there is a different shooter behind each by (and by no means am im a great shot!)... Like I mentioned before, there are just way many variables...

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Like I said....disagreement is just fine :)

Thanks for offering an opinion in a decent manner and I don't doubt what you say for a moment.

My testing parameters are different than most others and generally finds weaknesses where others do not at times.

That's fine with me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I bought the mx's last week and I was impress by the way they shoot. I rather have them over the stingers or any other type of broadheads. I am going to use them and the muzzy 3 blades on first day of pa archery season. I think they are better then regular 100 grain 4 blades.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with Roadrunner, all but the part about all broadheads fly great. A lot of broadheads fly great out of a properly tuned bow, but there are also several that don't. I aslo don't like to hear alot of product bashing and im not saying this because Muzzys are the heads being criticized.

Now... i just recently bought the MX-4s and i believe that they are the best broadhead made by Muzzy. I have shot the original 3&4 blade Muzzys for many years and they are great heads, but the MX-4s are even tougher. Out of a tuned bow, every muzzy broadhead has shot identical with my fieldtips. IMO, the mx-4s are the best broadhead on the market.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts