Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Two deer have been shot on my farm this year, one by me, and we lost both animals. Both we shot with muzzy broadheads, both were good shots. Good blood trails at first and then they just stopped bleeding it seemed. I hate to lose deer, and after tracking each animal for more than 3 hours we had to give up. What's the issue, anyone else having similar problems, i think im switching to Rage now.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
I went on an out of state trip with some friends in early September. I was shooting Strikers, two were shooting Muzzys, and two were shooting Rage 2 blade. We all took deer, and we all lost deer. The two bucks we lost were dumping blood like you wouldn't believe for a while, then just stopped. We had 5 of us searching for hours on both deer, but neither was found...the two we couldn't find were shot with the Striker and Rage...the biggest (a 240# 11pt) was killed with a 4 blade Muzzy. The second largest (a 220# 9pt) was killed with a Rage. Neither of these bucks left much of a blood trail. All we could figure was happening is that the deer were so fat, after the blood started clotting, the fat just shut the holes off. It was like they just disappeared. :confused: Don't give up on the Muzzys yet...could just be that you are dealing with some awfully tough and determined deer like we were.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I would say the shots were not as good as you might have thought. Basically any broadhead out there in the right spot will do the job. Not to try to start something or bash you, but I would look at the shooter before blaming the broadhead. I personally don't like muzzy heads either, I think there are other fixed heads that fly much better but I don't think its fair to put this on them. And welcome to Archery talk.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I used to use Muzzy and I had success and I also lost a couple of deer. I know for a fact that a "good shot" isn't always as good as it seemed at the time. Most of the time when I know someone to have lost a deer on a good shot is because they did not let the animal lay down before they got down to go track it. If you hit both lungs or the heart with a field tip the deer would die, or at least it should.

· Registered
5,790 Posts
had the same problems with Muzzys not leaving a good blood trail at all, switched back to my Spitfires and all is well with the world, took a doe the other day with them and she bled very well:wink: double lunged a buck in Ohio last year with a 3 blade Muzzy and he only went 40 yards before going down but didn't bleed at all:confused:

· Registered
3,148 Posts
I'm not sure how many times it's been said, but a good shot with ANY head will result in a quick kill. Period. Switching heads will only cost you money. The only things that need improved are shot placement and tracking ability.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
I'm not sure how many times it's been said, but a good shot with ANY head will result in a quick kill. Period. Switching heads will only cost you money. The only things that need improved are shot placement and tracking ability.
Although I wouldn't recommend it, a field point will kill a deer if it hits in the vitals.

· Team #28
5,839 Posts
Hi all,

Two deer have been shot on my farm this year, one by me, and we lost both animals. Both we shot with muzzy broadheads, both were good shots. Good blood trails at first and then they just stopped bleeding it seemed. I hate to lose deer, and after tracking each animal for more than 3 hours we had to give up. What's the issue, anyone else having similar problems, i think im switching to Rage now.
First I am sorry to hear you have lost 2 deer this year, but... The issue is likely shot placement. In the heat of the moment, many poor shots look good. If you put it through the boiler room with a Muzzy, you have a dead deer.

· Registered
501 Posts
I have never had problems with MUZZYS!! I shoot the 75 grain 3 blade. I shot an antelope at 45 yards on Oct. 6th. The shot was straight on through the chest he maybe went 20 yards and piled up!!!

· Registered
6,191 Posts
problems with muzzy's?:confused:

ive been shooting them since i started hunting and ive never had a problem with them. yes there are other heads out there that will shoot better. but you find me a broadhead tougher than a muzzy and ill switch to it.

never once have i had a muzzy destroyed by a deer and the only deer ive lost with them are because the shots were bad.

but as others have said any head will do the job when put in the right place.
muzzy's are nearly indestructable thats why i shoot em :thumbs_up

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I used to shoot

muzzys good broahead. Might go back to them. Was walking to my stand and got caught with my pants down. Three deer 35 yrds away so I couldn't climb up or I would spook them. So I just sat down right there under my tree stand. I had about 10 deer surrounding me. I was just enjoying watching them till I had one walk 6 feet in front of me and he caught my scent the lead doe didn't know what what he blew at so I drew my 85 pound hoyt x-tec the shot 43 yrds. I aimed a little low thinking she might duck but she didn't and all I did was catch white hair but the blood was pretty good for about 100 yrds then it trickled down to nothing. I was out there looking for 4 days straight 6 hours a day and nothing. Those 130 grain ones fly like darts. I found that broadheads fly the best attached to heavy arrows.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.