Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just happened to be within view of a dumpster behind a carpet store when i saw a gentleman carrying out some old carpet samples. I loaded all of them up and took them home. I set aside all of the ones that where the same size and grabbed some duct tape and went to work. :wink:

About a dollar worth of tape and 10 minutes of my life later i got this....

My GF shot it with her Elite Fire at 50/25 at about 255 FPS and only got 4 inches of penetration! :thumbs_up

Tomorrow ill shoot it with my 60/30 Axe 6 and see what i get. :cool:

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
13,784 Posts
That is sweet!! Watch out carpet stores!! The crazy archers are coming!!

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI its 22''x22''x7''. 14 pieces of carpet samples went into it.....:tongue:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sweet. Looks nice. Are any of the carpet melting onto the point? How is pulling them out? Hard? easy?

Now just remember not to shoot when your kids are sliding down that slide.... :darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I did the same thing the other day, but I went and bought some Yellow Jacket replacement bags and filled that with the carpet, works great and give nice targets, total cost was $14.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet. Looks nice. Are any of the carpet melting onto the point? How is pulling them out? Hard? easy?

Now just remember not to shoot when your kids are sliding down that slide.... :darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:
No melting....:plain: Removal is great! Very easy....:thumbs_up

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Just thought I would point this out. If you get some more carpet you will get better life out of the target by layering the other way. Cut the carpet into strips say 22 inches long by 15 inches wide, and stack them up like a layered foam target, and cinch them down. They last a very long time, and even once they do get shot out you just have to replace the few strips the you have been shooting out with some of the strips from the outside edges, and then you get a few more years out of it.

The archery range at Durham county wildlife center in Durham NC has all their targets built that way. We're talking 48x60 inch target bales, and they are probably the best targets I have ever shot into.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I would point this out. If you get some more carpet you will get better life out of the target by layering the other way. Cut the carpet into strips say 22 inches long by 15 inches wide, and stack them up like a layered foam target, and cinch them down. They last a very long time, and even once they do get shot out you just have to replace the few strips the you have been shooting out with some of the strips from the outside edges, and then you get a few more years out of it.

The archery range at Durham county wildlife center in Durham NC has all their targets built that way. We're talking 48x60 inch target bales, and they are probably the best targets I have ever shot into.
:beer::thumbs_up

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was an easy way to make a target. Just a quick idea i thought id share...:thumbs_up

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Axe results.

I shot 3 arrows into the target with my Axe 6 at 60/30/445 grs at 295 fps. The arrow tips come out of the back but it wont pass thru. Im going to add about 5 more pieces of carpet to make sure of that.. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hummm....

I may have to stop by a carpet store and aquire all their throw away samples. I like the idea of turning them in the side and stacking them. I can take them to work and band them up with some metal banding nice and tight so it holds them down really well too.

Should make for a really nice target!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I take 30" strips of old carpets and roll them tight to 10 - 15" diameter cylinders. Before i roll the last layer i spray crosshairs using a stencil onto the carpet before i tie them and hang them into the woods.
Makes a great durable target to shoot at from all around.

·
One Shot
9,128 Posts
I have a layered carpet target in my basement. Used allthread and 4X4 lumber to cinch it tight. Works good, I worry that it may be too abrasive on the arrows so use it only for tuning and occasional shooting. Cheap for such a large target area.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That dude may have been born at night, but not last night. I'm going to the carpet store. Or better yet, pull out all the left over carpet scraps from my spec houses and put it to use. With this economy, I need to save all the money I can.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts