Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will say upfront that I loved the old Ben Pearson bows. I just do. I use to shoot right handed, Due to a pinched nerve, I switched to left handed (I'm also a "natural" leftie) and have just stayed with it. Well, I had a nice group of bows, but they were all right handed. Trying to find those same bows but left handed has been a challenge to say the least.

So I decided it would be easier (not to mention quicker) to just make some. My first was a copy of the Ben Pearson Collegian. But the reason I really wanted to build them was so I could have me a Left Handed Palomino. After building a few Collegians I took the leap.

Not an exact copy, I changed the grip to better fit my hand. This one I screwed up on. I was checking the tiller, normally they are close, but this one was over 2" different. I removed material from the sides to make up the difference. Well, while checking the tiller again, I realized that the upper and lower fades are not in line with each other. That the lower fade was at least an inch lower than the upper. So the upper limb is not as wide as I would have liked.

Bow came out to 35 - 38 pounds (my scale is not the most accurate). Pretty happy with it, shoots like a dream. Shot 60 arrows through it so far from 10 to 20 yards. Really pleased at how well it shoots. While shooting it I realized that this could quite possibly be the first Palomino of this model built since 1963 (that was the last year for this model. I hope that Ben Pearson would approve.

The bow on the right is my Original 1958 Palomino, my copy is on the left.

View attachment 6518009

·
Registered
785 Posts
Beautiful job. I love the old Pearsons too. More so than Bear, Wing or any other American vintage bow maker. I have actually had almost every Ben Pearson made as well as many bows from all the other bow makers. Now I have only a handful of vintage bows and I am shooting more modern one piece longbows, recurves and hybrids.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I will say upfront that I loved the old Ben Pearson bows. I just do. I use to shoot right handed, Due to a pinched nerve, I switched to left handed (I'm also a "natural" leftie) and have just stayed with it. Well, I had a nice group of bows, but they were all right handed. Trying to find those same bows but left handed has been a challenge to say the least.

So I decided it would be easier (not to mention quicker) to just make some. My first was a copy of the Ben Pearson Collegian. But the reason I really wanted to build them was so I could have me a Left Handed Palomino. After building a few Collegians I took the leap.

Not an exact copy, I changed the grip to better fit my hand. This one I screwed up on. I was checking the tiller, normally they are close, but this one was over 2" different. I removed material from the sides to make up the difference. Well, while checking the tiller again, I realized that the upper and lower fades are not in line with each other. That the lower fade was at least an inch lower than the upper. So the upper limb is not as wide as I would have liked.

Bow came out to 35 - 38 pounds (my scale is not the most accurate). Pretty happy with it, shoots like a dream. Shot 60 arrows through it so far from 10 to 20 yards. Really pleased at how well it shoots. While shooting it I realized that this could quite possibly be the first Palomino of this model built since 1963 (that was the last year for this model. I hope that Ben Pearson would approve.

The bow on the right is my Original 1958 Palomino, my copy is on the left.

View attachment 6518009
That’s cool ! Great job ! Be proud of accomplishing your goal !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your wood choices look nice together.
I've been keeping an eye out for those how to videos you've been making.
:thumbs_up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts