Archery Talk Forum banner

My 2008 MN Bow Kill Buck

1755 17
It was Sunday night of the MN bow opener my brother Brandon and I went out deer hunting. The weather was cold, windy and there was a light rain/drizzle. This was the first good cold front of the season and there was no way I wasn't going to be in a stand .I brought out my lone wolf stand with me that night cause I knew that I wanted to be on or near our destination corn field with this front coming in. I decided I would throw it up off the corn field that the farmer had been chopping for cattle. He had left strips of corn still standing, and with the cold front coming through I figured this could even get a buck on its feet early. I sat most of the night and watched plenty of doe's and fawns working their way to the field. With 15-20 minutes left of light I thought I might as well try the "can call" a couple times and see if I can get one of these deer close enough for a shot. About a minute or two after calling I saw a nice buck enter the field. He paralleled one of the corn strips and started slowly walking my direction from about 150 yds out. He closed the distance to about 80 yds when he decided to pop into one of the still standing corn strips. I thought this is my chance to coax him in. I grabbed my grunt call and grunted softly twice at him. I figured now that he was in the corn it would be a lot harder for him to pick out my exact location out. After I called he popped out of the corn and started walking right in....I just held tight and waited for him to close the distance. As he went behind some limbs of the cedar tree I was sitting in I drew my bow and waited for him to pop out on the other side of the limb. As he emerged on the other side of the limb he appeared to be looking for the buck that he had just heard. I aimed....put the pin behind his shoulder and quietly grunted with my mouth....He instantly stopped..... the pin was settled in so I let him have it!!! The arrow struck perfect and my blazer vanes vanished instantly. He took off with his head and tail down and his body super close to the ground. It was probably the fastest I have ever seen a deer run....there was no bounding or jumping going on here...he was there then instantly out of sight. I waited a while and got to gather with my Dad and Brother at decided to take up the trail. We ended up finding the buck later that night, but I owe them a huge thanks because without there help I wouldn’t have found him (I’m color blind to reds and green).My buck ended up making it about 70-80 yds from where I shot him...he was on the trail. This season has been a blast so far and I can't wait to try my luck in Iowa this year. I Hope all that read this enjoyed the story and the pictures... good luck to everyone else this year! I look forward to reading your stories and seeing your pictures. God Bless

Picture #1 - How we found him
Picture #2 - Me with Buck 19" Inside Spread
Picture #3 - Me with Buck 141" Gross Green Score

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,125 Posts
What kind of light do you use at night so that you don't get completely blinded? Beautiful pics and great for sealing up the moment in time forever. Very cool. Great deer! Did you have any trailcam pics?

· Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of light do you use at night so that you don't get completely blinded? Beautiful pics and great for sealing up the moment in time forever. Very cool. Great deer! Did you have any trailcam pics?
Well I take a lot of pictures when I shoot a good buck that way you can have some pictures to choose from. Thank God for digital cameras it makes this pretty easy and cost affective. I also put glass eyes in the deer for pictures. Maybe a little over the top according to some, but this way their eyes don't glow with the flash. The glass eyes I use just slide over the deers actual eyes like contacts. I pull them out when I'm done and use them again with my next buck. You can get a pair from a taxidermist store/catalog for <$10. As far as trail cam pictures go..I do have some. I knew about this buck since March. He had a swollen knee so I could pick him out in pictures from when he started his rack all the way up til right before he shed his velvet.
Attached are a couple pics of him visiting Antler King Mineral during the summer.

Attachments

· Registered
72 Posts
Again kudos on the pics, they look great, you can't even tell those are glass eyes! Congrats on a nice buck!

· Hoyt Shooting Staff
850 Posts
Smoked

You smoked a real smoker there man . Great buck

· Romans 10 vs 9
11,475 Posts
:greenwithenvy:nice buck!

· Registered
3,383 Posts
Congrats,nice buck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.