Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I could shoot one like this every year :wink: I think he scored 169 4/8. I think I used a Mathews Z7 with a 2 blade rage. Arrow buried in the off shoulder and I didn't get a complete pass through. That was a great hunt. He was cruising for does on October 30 at 12:05pm.

2009 buck.jpg

·
Born yank raised south
17,042 Posts
I wish I could shoot one like this every year :wink: I think he scored 169 4/8. I think I used a Mathews Z7 with a 2 blade rage. Arrow buried in the off shoulder and I didn't get a complete pass through. That was a great hunt. He was cruising for does on October 30 at 12:05pm.

View attachment 3681441
Great buck Brother. Did you kill him in North Carolina or another state?

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,859 Posts
Great buck Brother. Did you kill him in North Carolina or another state?

Looking at the tag on the rt antler, its not a NC buck. We don't have to fix our tags to the animal once it has been harvested. But an awesome buck none the less. Not many in NC with that kind of body and horn size. We have a few but they are not many.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was another state.....WI.

We would probably have a few more nice ones here in NC if everyone would stop killing the small bucks. Its hard when most bucks don't make it past 3.5. I do think it is getting better here. People are getting more educated on what it take to have quality bucks. I also think the trail cameras are helping. (If folks know what they have they are less likely to shoot the first thing that walks by. We had some good bucks harvested this year. A couple were close to 200"

·
Registered
9,771 Posts

View attachment 3681441
What part of WI?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It was another state.....WI.

We would probably have a few more nice ones here in NC if everyone would stop killing the small bucks. Its hard when most bucks don't make it past 3.5. I do think it is getting better here. People are getting more educated on what it take to have quality bucks. I also think the trail cameras are helping. (If folks know what they have they are less likely to shoot the first thing that walks by. We had some good bucks harvested this year. A couple were close to 200"
Great buck and I agree with this statement 100%

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buffalo County WI

WI is an awesome state - Folks there seem to be really nice. You guys that live in the mid-west are lucky!

·
Born yank raised south
17,042 Posts
Looking at the tag on the rt antler, its not a NC buck. We don't have to fix our tags to the animal once it has been harvested. But an awesome buck none the less. Not many in NC with that kind of body and horn size. We have a few but they are not many.
I have seen a good number that size in North Carolina.....but in a place you cant hunt them...All of them were in Cades Cove. That places shows you what could happen if the bucks are allowed to reach maturity. I have been there 5 times I think over the years. Truly a phenomenal place to see large whitetails.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snoman - where is the place you speak of? I never heard of it.

·
Born yank raised south
17,042 Posts

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Snoman - where is the place you speak of? I never heard of it.
In Smoky Mountains National Park. Actually in Tennessee, right on the border I believe. I was just looking at some video of some bucks I shot up there in the summer years ago. The deer there will let you walk right up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW that's impressive! Thanks for sharing that

·
Born yank raised south
17,042 Posts
In The Smoky Mountains up near Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Heres some of the wildlife photos from Cades Cove....look at some of the bucks in these picture.....Do yourself a favor and go visit in early fall.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
If you click on some of the photos they will give you more information about them....There are Elk there as well but I have never seen one while visiting. I saw a typical buck there in 2004 that would have scored in the 180's at about 30 yards. The body size on some of these deer are unreal for Southern bucks.

·
El Jefe De Equipo Mongrel
15,023 Posts
can you shed hunt in there ?
I have seen a good number that size in North Carolina.....but in a place you cant hunt them...All of them were in Cades Cove. That places shows you what could happen if the bucks are allowed to reach maturity. I have been there 5 times I think over the years. Truly a phenomenal place to see large whitetails.

·
Registered
82 Posts
can you shed hunt in there ?
Negative. I looked it up a this past year.
A read a couple stories of people with sheds inside their vehicle, visible from the outside and getting them taken.
So basically if you have an antler inside your vehicle hide it prior to going to cades cove.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts