Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011- Another Great Season

With another season come and gone my passion seems to grow stronger for this sport every year. Just when I think I have done everything possible, studied every variable, practiced religiously, left no stone unturned, and hunted in "Beast Mode" since day one, I reflect back on the season and realize I could have done more. With this being said I was blessed with another wildly succesful season.

I was fortunate enough to take a respectable whitetail in North Dakota in late October. The buck was a solid 3.5 year old. I hit him hard with the Spitfire and he didn't make it 30 yards after the shot. It was a great hunt with great friends. I than returned to Ohio to finish out my 3 weeks of vacation. I literally hunted every day for over a month but to no avail. I was seeing alot of bucks but nothing in range of the Hoyt over the 150" mark.

After burning myself out in Ohio I decided to hop in the truck and head to Central Kansas to bowhunt with a great friend, hntnksn. It was a typical Central Kansas hunt with hntnksn. I was seeing roughly 100 deer a day including 25 to 30 bucks. On my 4th and final day of the hunt Richard put me in one of his stands that I had never sat before. The move paid off, I was literally surrounded by whitetails including some real giants out of range. I held of till the last bit of shooting light and took a respectable 8 point on the last minute of my last day. Once again the Spitfire hit its mark and the buck only made it 40 yards before going down within sight. I can not say enough about my good friends Richard and Maggie. Richard has become one of very best friends and I truly value his friendship. Its hard in today's world to find unselfish people like him and Maggie.

Upon returning to Ohio with my batteries recharged I immediately hit the woods. I would hunt for two solid months. I was sitting at least 6-8 times per week, but nothing was happening for me. I knew that if I hunted every chance I had that I would get an oppurtunity at one of my target bucks. With only one week remaining in the Ohio season I was more mentally exhausted than I ever had been, but i had to push on. On January 29th the wind was gusting to 40 mph and my wife asked me why I was even going to waste my time in the high winds. I was determinded to sit no matter what, I only had one week left, I couldn't wait for ideal conditions. About 30 minutes before dark with the wind hitting me in the face for over 2 hours I began to realize that I was going to hear "I told you so" from the wife when I got home. I actually had my head down just trying to keep the wind off my face when I looked up across the cut corn field to see "Candlestick" making his way right to me! I literally couldn't believe it! He simply fed right to me and turned broadside, I ranged him at 23 yards and was lucky enough to make a great shot. The Spitfire once again did its job and the buck was down in seconds. As I sat there reflecting on what had just happened I couldn't believe it was just that easy. After almost 100 sits here in Ohio he just walks to me and turns broadside, amazing!

Candlestick is an amazing whitetail. I knew when I picked up his 3.5 year old shed on February 13th, 2011 that he was going on the hitlist. He was now a 4.5 year old fully mature stud. His G1 is now an impressive 11 1/8". He scored just under 150" as a typical 8 point. This is only the second time he has ever been seen in the daylight, with the only other sighting in December of 2010. I had never even got a daylight photo of him in over 2 years!

So I now close the chapter on another amazing Ohio whitetail, "Candlestick". I truly feel blessed to have chased this buck for the past two years. This year marks the third year in a row that I have had sheds and trailcam pics of the buck I harvested here in Ohio. I guess you get to a point where its just not enough to shoot a big buck, you also want that history with him. I hope that God allows me to continue to chase these mature whitetails for years to come, it truly is a blessing.

I truly enjoy being a member here and following the seasons of my AT friends, I only hope you enjoy my threads half as much as I enjoy yours. Thanks in advance for reading and I hope to bring you an even better review for 2012 :wink:

Attachments

·
Colorblind blood trailer
2,566 Posts
What a season. Congrats and may next year be even better.

·
Born yank raised south
16,749 Posts
Yes you had a very blessed year for sure I am not ashamed to say that I am jealous. Congrats for the awesome year in hunting. Hope you have many more as good as this one. The write up was very good also.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Congrats josh! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Heck of a year! Congrats!

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Awesome year indeed ... Congrats

·
Registered
501 Posts
Big 8's just something about 'em! Great kills dude! Congrats.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Do you think you could get any further behind the deer...lol. Great deer regardless. Is that even your hand in the 1st pic? I mean if it is that deer weighs like 350lbs and you got monkey arms.

·
I kill it to eat it !
3,169 Posts
lucky guy, good job.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am actually holding the deer up with my legs, so I'm actually close to the deer. And yes the deer is a big deer I only hunt 80 miles from Saskatchewan so the deer do have big bodies. Thanks brother I appreciate your comment
Do you think you could get any further behind the deer...lol. Great deer regardless. Is that even your hand in the 1st pic? I mean if it is that deer weighs like 350lbs and you got monkey arms.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
It made it to post 14 before someone found a reason to be negative. Pretty good...

Congrats on a season that most only dream of. No doubt luck had little to do with it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like you had anawesome season!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just scored the shed and rack and he put on 13" just on that antler, not alot but 3 to 4 year jump is one of the smallest jumps in inches from what I've seen

1 - 20 of 26 Posts