Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up a lot later than I had intended to, alarm clock and me werent getting along. Got into my stand around 7 in the morning and all I saw for the first few hours were does and small bucks. After being in my stand all day I was thinking about getting ready to leave seeing that I only had about 10 minutes of legal light left. I was pretty well prepared to go home and enjoy a nice bowl of tag soup. I made one last 360* scan around me and caught movement of a deer. I could hardly tell what it was but I knew it was a big bodied deer! I watched (now 3 deer) make a half circle around me and make their way down the trail I was hovering over. I watched as a yearling doe, then a doe, then the last deer came into view. At this point I could tell it was a buck because he was antler deep in the doe's butt. He continued down the trail (20 yards away) and turned broadside. I drew, put my pin on him and let the arrow go. I honestly cant tell you if i jerked the shot, rushed it, string hit my arm or what but I knew I had hit him back. He took off towards a thicket with his tail bouncing (generally a good sign?) and went out of sight. I got out of my stand about 15 minutes later (dark at this point) and recovered my arrow. I had a bit of a sinking feeling when I smelled the arrow and noticed the gut smell. I backed out and walked back to my pickup.
The next morning I left the house around mid morning and met my dad and uncle at the property. Brought my bow and the 22-250 in case coyotes were on him. We searched for hoof marks, blood, gut matter, and found absolutely nothing. We split up into a 3 wide search and gridded the area where I last saw him. After about an hour I was feeling a little low when my uncle whistled at us. I got there fast as I could and my buck was sitting there piled up. He only went about 80 yards from the shot and bedded up in a group of thick foliage. Turns out the shot was a lot better than I thought, he was quartering away enough for me to catch the back of his lungs and liver and he died last night judging on how cold all the meat was. The shot looks high in the picture but he was bloated as all hell. Very greatful for this opportunity and to my uncle for finding him. He's not a giant but he's my biggest buck yet and I am more than happy with him.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1830257&d=1387224938&thumb=1
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1830259&d=1387224961&thumb=1

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
awesome

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
He's a great buck, glad you found him. A buck with a compound is an achievement alone, but this buck is cool because you had to think about your next stradegy. So , you actually got to hunt twice, locating him for the shot, and then following up with the tracking.

congradulations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts