Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a niece that wants a bow for christmas, but the onme she really wants is a diamond nuyclear ice with pink camo limbs, haha, she saw it at cabelas one day now its all she talks about.

My question is I'm not sure she will be able to shoot it, if I remember correctly it only goes down to 10 lb draw weight. She will be 4 in feb. My question is I guess, would that be a good bow for her to start out with? How soon would it be until she could actually shoot it? One last question, if that bow is too much for her, what would be a better choice for her?

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
At that age it is tough, I have three daughters and it was hard to find somthing they could draw at 3 and 4. I had a friend give me a little browning somthing or the other that she drew fine at 3 and 4 but it was not a bow you could make it to a 20 yd target with. I now have a diamond in her hands and it is well worth it, its a real bow with real cams and real let off. I believe she could have easily shot this bow at 4-1/2

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Get the most inexpensive bow you can find. She will outgrow it in one or two years. She can only pull maybe 5# but I would still get her something-Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
915 Posts
congrats ! ......my daughter wanted a bow last year too , she was three years old and i bought a cheap recurve for her , the pro told me that she won't be able to draw it .
she draw it behind the ears easily :eek: .....I've checked draw weight and it was 10# at her DL .
kids could be surprisingly strong ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also in that pickle mate. My son is 4 and he also want a bow seeing that older boet got a Reflex. The draw # and length is not the problem for me but the weight of the bow. Is seems that the little ones find it difficult to hold the bow in the air. After the first 5 shots the little arms get tired. Then I just duck and dive as he is all over the place with the bow. heheheheh

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Mathews Mini-Genesis, hard to go wrong with that one. My daughters started with one and the bow with grow with them for several years.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Martin tiger for a three yr. old. All kids are different. My 4 yr old girl had a problem pulling back a tiger at 10#. Is it as nice of a bow? NO. Shes three. Not to sound harsh but think people spend to much money on kids that small. They get the best and then they always expect the best and arnt grateful. When she shows respect for the cheaper bow and shows she can shoot it then upgrade next year. Ill get off my soap box now. Im not saying your spoiling your neice, Im just saying I see alot of spoiled kids around me and it drives me nuts. Take this post as it was intended please. I dont know your situation.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
n.i.

Buy the nuclear ice,and see when she can draw it.They are sweet bows that really shoot well.I bet she will pull it sooner than later.I remember almost ripping my arms off trying to pull a bow that I wanted!If,that is what she wants,you have to give it to her!:wink:LOL

·
Registered
715 Posts
my 2 1/2 year old daughter is getting the bear 1st shot bow set. she shot one of the martin fiberglass stick bows at the range (belonged to another 2 year old) but it was a touch to big for her. this one is the lowest draw weight i could find. i also got a couple of paper targets from Lancaster to go with it. part of the reason i got this is she is showing left hand tendencies, but being young and ambidexterous, we're not sure yet...

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just recently bought a Mini Genesis for my 3 year old grandson on his birthday. I put a Whisker Biscuit on it and backed out on the limb bolts. He can load and shoot by himself, with me watching of course. Expensive rest but works great for him.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My daughter was 4 when I got her the Nuclear Ice. At first she couldn't pull it, now 3 months later she shoots 30 shots a day. I say get the diamond.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys! We haven't decided what we're gonna do yet.

·
Registered
979 Posts
PSE Deputy

My three-year old son has been shooting a PSE Deputy since he was 17 months old. I feel really safe when he is shooting it, and he can easily handle the draw weight. Check it out. -- Ike

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
A couple of choices.....

This is what I ended up getting for my almost 3 year old-

http://www.amazon.com/NXT-Generation-NXTCBK-NXTGeneration-Compound/dp/B0010X61GS

I posted a similar thread, and I decided to go with a toy that he can actually run around and play with, rather than a quasi-real bow that i would always have to supervise.
Good advice. Here is a 2 yr old shooting the above mentioned NXT Generation Bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_lzfrmc1Kc

Watch this video of a very young kid shooting a Cartel. They cost around $50.00. It is the smallest compound that I am aware of. Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNzC19d3A8

You can find the Cartel and the PSE Deputy and others here at a good price. Good folks to deal with too!:

http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/youth-bows-c-195.html?page=3&sort=3a

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Look at the Martin Tiger. It fits a full range of kids. And you can get it with pink limbs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts