Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the making! But alittle history first.... My boy has a Diamond Atomic compound which fits him good but he doesn't like it, when he was 2 I got him a Bear First Shot 7# lil longbow looking fiberglass bow and he loved it but we got the new compound when he was 3 and he kinda lost interest and I'm not going to push or make him do anything cause I don't want him hating it, so its been a hit n miss thing with him shooting and him always saying he wants his little bow back but I always told him the big bow(compound) was his bow BUT over the weekend I decided WTH let him shoot the little bow and well he loved it like he did when he first started shooting, makes me feel like an ass for not letting him go back to shooting it sooner, so I talked to Dan and he is going to start on a youth whip for him next week lol can't wait to see what he does with it, I told him i wanted something in a smaller frame about 46-48" long and 8-10#@18" that way he can still grow with it and not need a new one every year, should be a fantastic bow and I appreciate Dan and Jared, really stand up guys!! Said he could have it too me in about a months time. It'll be great cause my boy said he wanted a bow like mine. Maybe this will fire up the archery bug, if not my 6 month old boy will have a assortment of bows when he gets up to age, lol

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I have found with teaching a lot of kids they just to seem to take to no compound bows quicker . Meaning have more fun flinging arrows with the a simple stick bow :)

What ever he gravitates to later is just fine

My kids like there recurves . I wonder why :)

Here is a nephew of mine

He looks like the baby new year shooting a bow :)

He's 3

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Can I be your kid to, I need a 58" 40lb, lol.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
How does the 58" compare to ur longer ones?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bout the same, maybe feels a touch "stiffer" but that's just cause it shorter and I've been so used to 62" or longer, its quiet, smooth and shock free, to me it feels like it starts to stack at about 29ish but my draw is 27 so I'm prob just getting too stretched out and it makes it feel like its stacking, shoots like a champ for me, I got a chance yesterday to shoot it alittle and prob will today too after work, just need to find me a good quality strap on quiver and ill be set for hunting season

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lol, I dont know, you ever took care of 78,000 chickens?
NO!! I withdraw my earlier comments!!

I'm like the old retired Tejon Ranch vaquero Arnold; after he'd gotten far too old to ride after wild cattle in the mountains any longer, Arnold was pretty hard-up for money and/or a job. An old friend offered him employment caring for a flock of... geese. Arnold was too poor to stand on pride: he took the job.

First day, Arnold shows up at the appointed time and place... ahorseback. His friend figured there's no use trying to talk a lifelong vaquero off his horse, so he turned the geese out and told Arnold where he wanted 'em held.

At some point toward the middle of the day, Old Friend stopped by his, err... goose-wrangling field to check on Arnold. Asked how he liked handlin' geese, Arnold tells him, "Esos gusanos son locos!"...

Arnold was an old mentor of mine: I figger if Arnold couldn't handle birds, I can't either!

So, thanks anyway... :teeth:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy I'm lucky too, God blessed me and the wife after some 3-4 years of trying with him and he's got the personality that everyone loves him, disciplined and healthy too, one good kid already at 5

Talked to Dan again and he gave me some details on my boys bow said he can do 50" long and it'll have a max draw length of about 27" so Hunter will be able to shoot it awhile AND! He said he is building him a looker! Cocobolo riser and myrtle limb veneers! EXACTLY like my 62", I'm so pumped! Now I gotta find some arrows that will shoot ok in it for him, Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have found with teaching a lot of kids they just to seem to take to no compound bows quicker . Meaning have more fun flinging arrows with the a simple stick bow :)

What ever he gravitates to later is just fine

My kids like there recurves . I wonder why :)

Here is a nephew of mine

He looks like the baby new year shooting a bow :)

He's 3

That is awesome. He is 3??? Great form. He must be reading these AT threads. :shade:

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Easy I'm lucky too, God blessed me and the wife after some 3-4 years of trying with him and he's got the personality that everyone loves him, disciplined and healthy too, one good kid already at 5

Talked to Dan again and he gave me some details on my boys bow said he can do 50" long and it'll have a max draw length of about 27" so Hunter will be able to shoot it awhile AND! He said he is building him a looker! Cocobolo riser and myrtle limb veneers! EXACTLY like my 62", I'm so pumped! Now I gotta find some arrows that will shoot ok in it for him, Any ideas??
That's going to be a cool little bow and someday he can start his kids off with it.

As far as arrows...I don't have a clue other than something cheap. If he's anything like me with my first bow most arrows will be lost or broken surprisingly fast. Inexpensive carbons or aluminums with the lowest spine rating, plenty long and with big fletching is as close as I can guess. It probably doesn't matter as long as he has something to shoot. When I was his age arrow flight wasn't really a consideration (we bought arrows out of a box at the hardware store, and made the choice on color...spine?...what's that...lol).

Do you have a fletching tool? Maybe get some wood shafts and let him color, stain, paint them the way he wants. Kind of a craft activity, might add to the fun for him. I loved that kind of thing when I was a kid...wait, I still love that kind of thing.

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I was thinking cheap as possible, I bought him some lil 16" arrows from 3 Rivers for $9.99 for 3 they were little 1/4" wood arrows with 2 1/4" feathers but like you said most are lost and a few broke, I have four fletching jigs from when I had my little bowshop I might just find some 1/4" dowl rods and fix him up some little woodies like the 3River arrows, let him color and stain em how he wants that would be cool

The bow will def be a sharp bow and he'll be able to have it awhile and like you said have it for his kids too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts