Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 60# Alphaburner back from Crackers the other day and once again Michael has out done himself. It's no secret I'm a big fan of Michael and what he can do with a bow. In the case of this bow he has really gone above and beyond what most would define as great customer service. I always tell folks who ask that Mike will not let a bow leave his shop until it is perfect. In this case, through no fault of his own he has probably spent more time with this one single bow than most. The end result is one heck of a bow. At 29/60 this bow shoots an IBO arrow 342fps, that's 12 fps above advertised IBO and at he did it at 60#. More impressive is that it is shooting my hunting arrow which is 430grs at a smoking 299fps. That's 85.38 # of kinetic energy coming out of a 60# bow. I was teasing Mike because I told him I wanted 300fps and he missed it. The funny part was I said that thinking the bow would max out a few pounds over 60# when it reality it maxes out at 60.2 # on the nose. I can tell you without a doubt this is one of the smoothest shooting bows I have ever hooked a release on. Accuracy, yesterday while trying different fletching combos I did manage to shoot a few 5 arrow groups at 60yds in a 3 inch circle. Maybe that was more luck then skill but still so much for the talk of a 6 inch brace height being tough to shoot accurate. Anyways I was so excited about my shooting session yesterday I had to share. Thanks again to Michael and Gale for putting up with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hoyt makes a fine bow. Mike makes a fine bow better. Good looking rig.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
AlphaBurner is a sweet bow for sure.

Crackers has the magic, awesome speeds for a 60# AB! :eek:

Maybe I need to take my AB to Mike :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

If I lived in Missouri, I would be at Mike's shop every chance I got. If I could learn just a fraction of what he has forgotten about setting up a bow I would be ecstatic.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

He did my original 70# Alphaburner and at 29/70 got 343fps IBO out of it. This 60#'r will definately be my main hunting rig this year. Super easy and smooth to draw and plenty of KE. He is also working on a special project bow for me now I can't wait to see how that one turns out.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Cool. :thumbs_up

:izza:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I need to find a guy that lives near Crackers to take my bow in for me. The waiting list is to long.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I try not to be overly brand loyal but ya have to love a Hoyt bow.

I sent my AM32 to Mike and at 27.5/71(maxed out) I am getting 300 fps from a 390 grain arrow. With my draw length, that is amazing.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
12 fps above IBO, Am I the only person that raises an eyebrow to that.
If you are ever in Lafayette, IN with that bow, please call me so we can shoot that through my average Joe" Pro Chrono", cause if that speed is true to life, I'll beat the guys door down. As one "Supertuner" put it to me, This aint Rocket Science! There is only so much you can do to a bow.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If you are ever in Lafayette, IN with that bow, please call me so we can shoot that through my average Joe" Pro Chrono", cause if that speed is true to life, I'll beat the guys door down. As one "Supertuner" put it to me, This aint Rocket Science! There is only so much you can do to a bow.
I don't blame you at all for your skepticism. But one thing I noticed when shooting just about everything I could get my hands on through the chrono prior to purchasing, the Hoyts consistently shot faster than advertised. That really is true. And most of the ones I've look at "straight from the factory" have horrible cam lean. Once a shop pro gets her adjusted correctly, they pick up speed instantly. Then there's those strings. I am still shooting the stock one till the end of the year but I think they are junk. My has stretched - a lot. Peep is difficult to keep aligned, etc. Put the cams right, put a good string on (BCY452X), and you pick up a bunch of extra speed in the Hoyts.

I will post my "improvements" when I finally get around to having someone very competent tune and restring it properly. I am expecting some nice changes.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
He did my original 70# Alphaburner and at 29/70 got 343fps IBO out of it. This 60#'r will definately be my main hunting rig this year. Super easy and smooth to draw and plenty of KE. He is also working on a special project bow for me now I can't wait to see how that one turns out.
Smooth and easy to draw is what gets me with the AB. My AB has a better draw cycle and is easier to draw with no humps than my AM35 was at my draw length. Be sure and post about that special bow when Mike gets it finished.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I don't blame you at all for your skepticism. But one thing I noticed when shooting just about everything I could get my hands on through the chrono prior to purchasing, the Hoyts consistently shot faster than advertised. That really is true. And most of the ones I've look at "straight from the factory" have horrible cam lean. Once a shop pro gets her adjusted correctly, they pick up speed instantly. Then there's those strings. I am still shooting the stock one till the end of the year but I think they are junk. My has stretched - a lot. Peep is difficult to keep aligned, etc. Put the cams right, put a good string on (BCY452X), and you pick up a bunch of extra speed in the Hoyts.

I will post my "improvements" when I finally get around to having someone very competent tune and restring it properly. I am expecting some nice changes.
What you say is true. Example: My new 70#/28" Alpha Burners top cam was way jacked over with the factory strings. I change them out with customs from Tiny's, fix that lean with a static yoke, spend the the better part of 3 hours over the next three days getting everything to roll over like butter and I end up 5fps faster. It was 320fps out of the box and I get a consistent 325 fps now. We decided on a combination of materials this time and it is the most FPS I have ever picked up. The choice was a combination of 8125 and 452X. I feel as though I got that "bunch" of extra speed. I just keep hearing the grumblings of persons that get their bows done, return home and shoot through their chron's and only get 1-2fps more than what they had. So, for the sake of argument, if my chrono is junk as some people say, and its still only showing that small increase was it really a "Super" job?, or the more costly chrono?

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Believe what you want it makes no difference to me. Mikes chrono is within 1-2fps of our professional, high dollar best in the business chrono where I work which runs identical with my home " average Joe chrono ". Bottom line the bow was ran through three different chronos, at three different locations and all the readings were within 1-2 fps of each other. Mike has done close to 30 bows for me and has averaged 8-10fps over IBO. Most folks who have actually had a bow tuned by Mike know what I'm talking about. Those who never have love to come on here and say it can't be done, those are the folks I feel sorry for. Be happy enjoy your bow, let others enjoy theirs.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Awesome looking bow, bornagain! I know if I was looking at a new one, the AB would at the top of my list. Lots of KE, and not a lot of draw weight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
bornagain

342 fps - that is impressive. My 29/60# Alphaburner 60.9# maxed gets 222 right out of the box. I think I need to take a run down to MO.

Would you mind telling what arrow you were using to get IBO weight?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
WOW, he tuned ya a true barn burner now!!! Congrats and good luck!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
342 fps - that is impressive. My 29/60# Alphaburner 60.9# maxed gets 222 right out of the box. I think I need to take a run down to MO.

Would you mind telling what arrow you were using to get IBO weight?
222 out of the box. :shocked:
Are you shooting a 600 gr. arrow?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts