Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why?.....why oh why Lord?...why did I sell Fred?...these were my thoughts as I bubble wrapped it up...taped the factory box closed and dropped it off at fedex enroute to it's new owner...it was a beautiful bow....all 64"s of it...and a real sweet shooter...but here's the reasons I come up with...

1. "I didn't shoot it.":

As exquisite a shooter as it was?...perfectly tuned...sporting a Rick Barbee 9strand custom rhino string...quiet as a mouse with poly-puffs and limbsavers...and a silky smooth draw?....it just hung there....collecting dust...why?...as I always found myself far more attracted to my two custom longbows...both of them far more slender and sexy to the point that they made my bear recurve feel like I was handling a piece of strung lumber...like a heavy 2X4 to be exact...that's how my custom longbows made my Bear recurve feel...despite the bear being a beauty in it's own right and made my heart smile everytime I picked it up for a fond walk down memory lane?...it shot so well it made practice sessions seem almost mundane as compared to the challenging satisfaction of shooting my oh so elegant longbows.

2. "Redundancy":

I had two bows that were both 64"s long and both scaled 37#s @ 28"s....the Bear recurve and my Bushmen American Native R/D Hybrid Longbow...and whenever I felt spunky enough to go shoot 37#s?...the Bear was left hanging while the Bushmen left the hooks...everytime for the past several months.

and finally?.....

3. "To Many Bows":

And that's how I start to feel whenever one winds up collecting dust and just hanging there,

But I will admit...I did have pains of sellers remorse as I wrapped Fred up and dropped him off at fedex...but I know the new owner will be thrilled and Fred always seemed happiest when he was being shot and not...left neglected hanging on the wall.

To sum it up?...it seems my longbows have spoiled me and I've lost my ambition to shoot/own recurves...cause somehow?...my longbows make recurves seem cumbersome, heavy and I might even add...a touch obnoxious.

Now...can anyone relate?....or is this yet just another psychotic phase I'm going through? :laugh:

On a brighter note?...after the holidays?...I may be in the market for a sweet 2pc longbow...one that will fit on my motorcycle real neat and tidy like...suggestions welcome.

Thanks for reading and L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had sold many guns and two compound bow over last ten years and every time I asked why to myself when I pack the them. But then I will have money to buy new toys. Oh well...

Edmond

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Well..as for as myself ever feeling my Earl Hoyt or any other recurve of mine feeling obnoxious. ..naaaa...that won't ever happen. ...and I've had a few awesome longbows this past year..and soon for another recurve...

Now..I do prefer a good custom grip and light weight bow in the feild...but will never plan on using something so light for competition. .so ..if longbow is your preference...that would bring me to 1 longbow that is a great 2pc bow..heavier than others..and has folks waiting a year for...that would be a Centaur Triple Carbon 2pc made out of Dark Matter..

Another option is a ILF..but we all know you don't want one of those. ..lol...lol

Mac

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Why? Because it is something to do that is fun and takes your mind off of the 'bigger' issues in life. I like to buy, sell, trade - whatever every once in a while just to change things up. It's exciting to dicker and buy or sell along with the anticipation of getting a new bow. It's a bit of an addiction - albeit a reasonable one and if done properly not too expensive. I'm always looking for 'the one' bow and will probably never find it. But hey it is fun looking and much cheaper than trying to do the same with cars, motorcycles, women etc...........

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Don't over think it Bill, listen to what your heart and the little voice in your head says. Your Bear recurve was a nice bow but obviously didn't have quite what it takes to make you smile, better it goes down the road to somebody else and leaves you with a little jingle in your pocket. Besides, you can always get another one. A stock recurve is not the one of a kind bow that your Bushman or Falco are.

And yes, I can relate. Even though I'm exclusively a recurve guy at the moment I still have a lot of appreciation for the clean and elegant lines of a good longbow, whether it's D-shape or hybrid. Slim limbs blending into a well shaped riser, some pretty wood and a craftsmans attention to detail make a really beautiful bow. It doesn't matter what you shoot, just keep shooting...:thumb:

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Now that you have some $ in your pocket- did you see the Falco in the Classifieds over on Tradtalk? 30# 68" - nice..........

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why? Because it is something to do that is fun and takes your mind off of the 'bigger' issues in life. I like to buy, sell, trade - whatever every once in a while just to change things up. It's exciting to dicker and buy or sell along with the anticipation of getting a new bow. It's a bit of an addiction - albeit a reasonable one and if done properly not too expensive. I'm always looking for 'the one' bow and will probably never find it. But hey it is fun looking and much cheaper than trying to do the same with cars, motorcycles, women etc...........
it is a bit of an addiction...isn't it?...maybe even a drug?...excitement driven adrenaline maybe?....because...

it certainly qualifies as "Mind Or Mood Altering" :laugh:

Now that you have some $ in your pocket- did you see the Falco in the Classifieds over on Tradtalk? 30# 68" - nice..........
I saw that...my eyes welled up for the guy as well...bbaker...as he was in steady contact via PM's (on another site) with me throughout his decision, order, purchase and receipt of that bow...but again?....redundancy....I already have one.

Don't over think it Bill, listen to what your heart and the little voice in your head says. Your Bear recurve was a nice bow but obviously didn't have quite what it takes to make you smile, better it goes down the road to somebody else and leaves you with a little jingle in your pocket. Besides, you can always get another one. A stock recurve is not the one of a kind bow that your Bushman or Falco are.

And yes, I can relate. Even though I'm exclusively a recurve guy at the moment I still have a lot of appreciation for the clean and elegant lines of a good longbow, whether it's D-shape or hybrid. Slim limbs blending into a well shaped riser, some pretty wood and a craftsmans attention to detail make a really beautiful bow. It doesn't matter what you shoot, just keep shooting...:thumb:
As usual?...you're spot-on EK...and a good friend who keeps my insanity/emotions in check...and like I said?...it was a great walk down memory lane and had a blast setting it up and getting it shooting as well as it did but then?...it was like the bubble burst....and in a self conducted analysis of myself here?...it seems that is my curse....as hindsight of my own behaviors?....it typically goes like this...

1. I get all excited ordering/buying a bow and can't wait for it to get here and then?...

2. It arrives, I'm usually thrilled (still excited) and then?...

3. The tuning process begins...and it may take me anywhere from a few hours too a few days too several months before I get it pristinely tuned and shooting spot-on and then?...

Wham...bows shooting great, I'm the only "variable" and?....I'm bored out of my mind with it....except?...with the longbows.

Why?...I dunno...maybe it's the seemingly elevated challenge levels they present?...cause while they are well tuned?...to me?...they are nowhere near as forgiving as the recurves I've owned...and everytime I step into the backyard with one?...I have no clue how "WE" are going to preform...there's sessions where it seems like I can't miss and then there's sessions where I struggle....a lot...until I basically give up, relax...and then I start hitting again...so I guess (as I type this) that...

I'm either relaxed or?....they force me to relax! :laugh:

yep...that's pretty much how it goes...but even that doesn't stop me from getting bored at times....matter fact?...I almost bought a compound off the classifieds a little bit ago...(and I haven't owned a wheelbow in nearly two years now)....a 50-60# 2010 hoyt contender elite...with both 28 1/2" and 28" cams and?...w/ nearly a 42" ata I can finger shoot it...but then asked myself...wth are you doing? :laugh:

But then thought...sure would be nice to have a wheelie BB to play with...an that is a really nice one for a good price...blacked out...looks like new with just rest set-screw marks that would cover with a new rest...$395 shipped TMD...and I'm only saying this here cause I hope somebody buys it before I do! :laugh:

Think I'm just going to grab my Falco and go relax before I get stupid. :laugh:

Thanks and L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"....a 50-60# 2010 hoyt contender elite..." driven by a little old lady only on Sundays?

More time at the sporting goods store where they have a bow press?

New rest because of set-screw marks, new string set ($50?), new tackle associated with the wheels, etc?

Shooting the Falco sounds like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"....a 50-60# 2010 hoyt contender elite..." driven by a little old lady only on Sundays?

More time at the sporting goods store where they have a bow press?

New rest because of set-screw marks, new string set ($50?), new tackle associated with the wheels, etc?

Shooting the Falco sounds like a great idea.
You are absolutely correct sir...and of course since I'd be setting it up for target... lets not forget the $200 for stabs....then BB would be short lived as I'd just hafta see what I could do with $200 sights...and then a $500 bow press would become mandatory (for precision tuning of course)...and then none of the many arrows I have would be suitable...then lastly?...these dang fingers of mine just aren't letting the bow reach it's full accuracy potential...so which $100-$200 mech release I need would be yet another decision and?...once I had all those fancy open class accessories?....it would be a flat out shame to waste them on a slow 2010 model 4 year old hoyt so....then?...I need a new winners circle model...so?...Scaaaarrrreeeeeeeew That! :laugh:

So?...maybe I'll just call Paul Jalon at Elite Arrows and finally bless this Falco Force of mine with some top shelf woodies. ;)

Besides...I don't need to be buying myself anything...maybe not even the woodies for the Falco as it shoots my cheetahs lights out and I doubt I'll ever compete in any serious fashion let alone where woodies are mandatory....besides that?...I need to hold true to my word...and someone else....check my Merry Christmas Thread I'm posting up in about 2 minutes. ;)

BTW....thanks for that, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
751 Posts
And now he is selling the Falco ???!

So much for "I'm set and will never buy/sell a bow again." !!

I hope it's not that you need the money, Jinks, but if that isn't the reason ... seek professional help, son !!!

·
bill
458 Posts
You are right on about the addiction for some of us to the qualities of a longbow. We have been traveling the same path for a couple years. Mine went like this, #50 Martin Jaguar, #26 then #34 then #40 Hoyt Horizon, #45 Tomahawk longbow, back to #36 on the Hoyt. Sold the Tomahawk and was lucky to get a used #35 Fox Triple Crown and love it. Still shoot the Hoyt a bit but I'm going all in with some woodies via Ron King from my wife for Xmas and will finally do some shoots this year and do it in the longbow division. Sounds like you're not so sure about selling the Falco. If you sell the Falco will you have a longbow to still shoot?

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And now he is selling the Falco ???!

So much for "I'm set and will never buy/sell a bow again." !!

I hope it's not that you need the money, Jinks, but if that isn't the reason ... seek professional help, son !!!
Well I guess the one thing I should never do is speak in absolutes...(like I just did! LOL!)...but if it satisfies anyone's curiosity?...here's just a few reasons "why"....

1. I've definitely "tasted them all" during the past two years....one piece & 3 piece recurves...both hard bolt and ILF...twice...longbows of all lengths and flavors and even a holmegaard self-bow and ironically?...my favorite is the one that pretty much started it all (besides numerous bears and my old Bob Lee from years past)...my twice cooked, highly customized Bushmen "American Native" R/D Hybrid Longbow/Flat-bow...(whichever you prefer to call it)...and I find myself shooting it more than any other when I've own multiple one-string bows....I love it...all the performance of a recurve wrapped up in one slender and stealthy stick of shear elegance....right weight...right length...right poundage...right everything and with a grip shaped to both my hand and form and the riser cut to accommodate 9/32ndths-5/16ths CF shafts with minimal tuning effort....and these are the reasons I always seem to migrate to it more than any other...A.T. Member fatzboys has shot this bow before and after I had it re-customized....and when he shot it after?...even he will attest to how sweet it is...not to mention?...it's real easy on the eyes and this bow priced out at $1,075 before I had an additional $250 worth of work done to it.

2. I have lost any intentions of competing with wood arrows and barely have the time to shoot one bow "almost" well....so this alone eliminates the need of me having a D-Longbow hanging on the wall....and now that I can say I've BT&DT?...I'm past it.

3. I have accepted that I will most likely never bow hunt again....but if I do?...it will be with a sighted wheelbow shot with fingers.

And that's where the money will most likely go...on a nice, slightly used...long ATA wheelbow to be shot with fingers...and I'll be taking my time shopping the classifieds for it as I figure this way...

I'll be shopping for a 50#er but even if it's a 60#er?...even at only 65% let-off?...that's me only holding 21#'s..which not only would make a great form bow?...but I'd be far more apt to hunt it as well...and there would be no question regarding potency or proficiency.

Meanwhile the Bushmen will still be a great form of relaxation and plenty of fun at the local ASA 3D shoots.

I also have other life issues where streamlining my materialistic belongings is a good idea...and yes...the Falco is a gorgeous bow...but it should go into the hands of someone who will put it to good use for it's intended purpose...so while it does make for fine wall art?...to the chopping block it has gone.

L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, that makes a bit more sense, Jinks - I've cancelled the visit by the nice folk in white coats - but you better not offer the Bushman for sale ... or *I* will buy it, LOL !

In fact, if I didn't already have my Abbott longbow, the Falco would be sold. Good luck with the sale!

*IF* I was going to buy a wheel bow, I would seriously consider "Arrows" new bow: http://cponeidaeagle.com/talon-2

It looks far better to me than any other wheel bow I've ever seen.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,112 Posts
Don't get Jinx started on those lever limb bows or who knows what will happen. Says the old lever bow junkie currently on the wagon

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Bill...

If you are wanting a great compound to shoot targets...I've got one for you already set up. .front and side stabs..good sight, rest, and even a great thumb release. .not that you have to use it..

Give me a call tomorrow. .

Mac

1 - 20 of 41 Posts