Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday we took my daughter to see Santa at Cabelas. While we were there they had an " Introduction to Archery" seminar thing which nobody else at all walked back to the archery dept to attend. Well the guy was nice enough to check her DL & find that she was 21.5" & adjust an Infinite Edge to the right length for her & the DW @ 20. The 3 video's below are the 1st 9 arrows she has ever shot..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tX0rFViSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyvzHNF4Xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJPbNzIEbk

She had already asked for a bow for Christmas, but I told her we couldn't afford it till next summer so ask again for her birthday in July. Little did she know that I bought her a Pink Infinite Edge on the 2nd & its been riding around in the trunk of my wife's car (she wont stumble across it there).

Now a couple of ?'s..

I need to get her a release. The one she was using was a Tru-Fire Patriot Junior Release, however it was not long enough for her to easily keep her finger behind the trigger on draw. So I need something that can be adjusted a little longer then a standard release. Also her wrists are extremely narrow & this release did not conform very well at all to her wrist. Can anyone recommend a decent release that may work a little better. Also if its double action like the True Fire Edge I would also prefer it.

For arrows are the Carbon Express Thunderstorm Pink Lady's ok. For the price & matching her rig I am leaning in that direction. They wont be hunted with & will just be used to shoot the target in the back yard or at my dads property so I am wanting something somewhat durable & readily available as I am sure she will loose them & probably bury them into logs & what not. Also she has alot of growing to do before she can legally hunt in Idaho anyway so I am going to leave these arrows long & will get her new proper arrows the spring before she can hunt that will be properly cut to length.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you go to Gander MOuntain - they have kits you can put on there for $130 that come with everything you need. Comes with a great drop release.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go to Gander MOuntain - they have kits you can put on there for $130 that come with everything you need. Comes with a great drop release.
Nearest Gander Mountain is a couple states away in Colorado. The only big box sporting goods stores we have are Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse & Dicks. There are a few Archery Pro shops in town, but I was hoping to have a better idea of what to look for before I go shopping since I cant take her with me (that would give away the surprise).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Man I got my 8 year old a Scott hero I think is the name. Great little release for like thirty bucks. Comes in pink and has a small wrist strap maybe it was forty. The dicks in my town had a bunch of them this summer but easy to find on interweb

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
My 9-yr old used the Scott Hero briefly and went back to a TRU Ball Max 4 handheld thumb release.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in a like-new blue Hero.

·
NAASP
6,940 Posts
Scott Itty Bitty goose

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Awesome man. My daughter just turned 1 a few days ago. I cannot wait to get her a bow when she gets a little older. Your daughter will be so excited on Christmas. Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any other input on the release or the arrow's? I am probably going to go get the rest of the stuff tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You need to push the trigger forward...I'm using one with a large buckle strap so it would fit my wrist.....it shoots real good.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you're not dead set on a wrist release, I would recommend a handheld. I started both of my boys with a Tru Ball Ultra Xtreme at age 3. My oldest moved to a hinge at age 7 and my little guy right before he turned 5. Both picked up on the hinge the very first time they used one. My 8 year old shoots a Scott Baby Horn and my 5 year old shoots a Tru Ball HT. Most people think that a back tension is too difficult for kids to use but I couldn't disagree more. Children are little sponges and most of the time don't have bad habits to break like adults do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 8 year old daughter has been shooting a TruBall Outlaw Jr. wrist release for about 2 years now. Pretty good little release that offers length adjustment and has a buckle rather than velco so it can be set to the same setting every time. For arrows she used Beman ICS Hunter Jr.'s for a longtime with great success.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts