Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First layout your posts so that they are the same length as your desired string. With our setup this seems to work best. After stretching, then twisting they seem to end up at the right length this way.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We then rotate the posts (we have a three post jig) and begin. We tie a loop in the end of the bowstring and hook it to a bungee cord setup.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next we begin wrapping the bowstring around the posts in a clockwise direction being carefull to stack the string going up the posts.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lay out end loops. In this pic he has it wrong. I make mine 2" from the right post and serve 2" to get a good 3/4" endloop.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Serve up those end loops. It's tough to teach a 9 y.o. to backserve and get it right, but he did it...

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Serve the other end loop just like the one before. Now layout the endservings..in this case 12" from the end loop.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now, looking back towards the end of the string, serve towards the endloop in a clockwise direction. Yes, we start at the middle of the string and go towards the end loop.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's impossible to back serve so close to the post, so we cheat and slide a piece of bowstring under the serving to pull the end back under.

Attachments

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Next, repeat. Work from the center towards the end on the other end of the string going in a clockwise direction to complete the other end serving. That's about it except for the center serving which I am going to do on the bow since the bow is not here. Turned out great. :D I'm really proud of him. He did a fantastic job. Now, if a 9 y.o. can do it, so can you :D

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wish I had someone to teach me that.
YOU DO!!! Right here at AT :D That jig was purchased from the classifieds. I learned every step of string making from the pages right here on AT. Two months ago I had never made a string and I haven't had any guidance outside the pages of AT. I made two strings that were too long. The third string was right on the money and it had ZERO peep rotation when I was done. Looked every bit as good, and has performed every bit as good as the dozen custom strings I have purchased in the last two years. The one above ended up with about 1/16 of a turn of peep rotation.

The knot I use is a larkshead knot, snugged up against the end loop serving. I have actually changed to just serving over the tag ends, but it's easier to tie off the ends for the kids.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Great thread Doug !!! Thankyou for taking the time. Looks like we will have a future string maker .

1 - 20 of 48 Posts