Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my best buck ever(gun or bow) this morning.

I was in my tree stand at 0630. Started to rain at 0830, so I took my stand down to move it, someone put up a ladder stand about 20yds off to my left. So I am walking down this old road looking for a place to hang my stand and about 35yds in front of me this buck has his head down in a pile of brush. He backs out alittle and looks at me,there is a large tree between us so I step off the road to get out of his view he promptly takes a couple steps out to look at me. I side step once more to get a couple smaller trees between us and ease my treestand and climbingsticks off my back. I then proceed to stalk up to what I think is 25yds behind a small tree, I then draw my bow and take a step out and thwack. He ran about 45yds into the timber and stopped. So I get comfortable in the rain and keep him in my sight and check him with my binos. He layed down and expired. I still waited about 25min to approach him just to be sure.

The shot was slightly quarting to me the arrow went in just behind the left front leg and exited just behind the last rib on the right side, the distance was 27yds.

He is an 8point basket rack in full velvet. Body wise he looks to thin you can see his spine and hips,the bones are very prominent. So in the morning I am going to take him to the game and parks to see what they think.

I'll try to post pics later.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts

Great job! I like to hear those stories about being caught off-guard and still make the kill.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Fun Hunt!! CONGRATS can't wait to see a pic:darkbeer:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts