Archery Talk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say no equipment failure was at play here...all me! I am having surgery soon to remove a large bone cyst from my C7 vertebrae that is causing my rt arm to go numb. So with that said, yesterday I was training with my new stan jet black, trying to learn back tension properly. While at full draw with my destroyer 340 my arm just went numb and the release came out of my hand. The arrow stuck in the house (I soot in my mudroom), the release came forawrd, cut my bus cable and got buried into my wooden wall.

I received no additional injury except for my pride. And before you ask no Im not sending in the release for warranty work....LOL. The release took the brunt of the damage. Bent the handle and show stress manks throughout, and the hinge head is gouged and destroyed.

So release ($140) + Strings ($100) = a bad mistake.

Either way Im not too upset. It was something that happened due to an issue Im going to have fixed soon. Thought you all might like to see a lil of the damage.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
Ah thats just crap luck, glad to hear you werent injured as i have heard of guys breaking bones in their bow hands having a release slip while at full draw. Im just learning on a thumb release (Carter Insatiable) and have added a shoe lace to my release handle that goes around my wrist to hopefully avoid this till I get used to not relying on a wrist strap. I have a bad tendency to relax my hand too much while trying to work the release with back tension. Better your pride hurt than your body I think...Good luck with getting everything fixed up and shooting again!

· Registered
3,595 Posts
Twice I've had my release come out of my hand when I had a pinched nerved in my wrist. My fingers would go numb and *fling*! off it would go. Neither time where there any injuries to me or equipment other than a very large dent in my pride and a lot of red face. Hopefully all goes well with your surgery and you get back to normal.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Thats sucks , hope ya surgery goes well and you get back to some good shooting

· Registered
1,897 Posts
I would send your pictures and story to the fine people at Stan, I bet they will fix your release for a modest charge if not replace it at a substantial cost savings. They have great customer service.
I didnt shoot a release but they replaced an old style SX2 with a brand new one when I sent it in for internal repairs.
Great folks there.

· Premium Member
6,315 Posts
Glad you are ok and not more serious. That is one reason I gave up on those releases. I know a lot of guys who use them with success I for one could not trust it.
Good luck again with your recovery,Doug

· Registered
4,555 Posts
You know someone out there reading this is going to go to TAP or OT2 and try to calculate the speed of that release...

:D
OT2 will not let me add quite that much weight to the string but figuring a D340 at 29/65 it looks like right around 115 fps.
That is only about 12 lb of KE for the arrow and about 30 lb of KE for the release. But, because of the weight the momentum should be pretty high.

On a more serious not, sorry for your mishap. I'm glad you didn't get hurt and I hope surgery goes well.

Mitch

P.S. I can't believe guys are already destroying their releases and I haven't even got mine yet. Should be here first part of this week.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OT2 will not let me add quite that much weight to the string but figuring a D340 at 29/65 it looks like right around 115 fps.
That is only about 12 lb of KE for the arrow and about 30 lb of KE for the release. But, because of the weight the momentum should be pretty high.

On a more serious not, sorry for your mishap. I'm glad you didn't get hurt and I hope surgery goes well.

Mitch

P.S. I can't believe guys are already destroying their releases and I haven't even got mine yet. Should be here first part of this week.
lancaster has em in stock...just ordered another. Will be here in a few days. Gonna tie it to my hand till Im fixed! LOL

· Registered
1,133 Posts
I want to see where the arrow hit :)
Good luck on the surgery!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2,688 Posts
Pieces of equipment can be replaced, but you can't! Glad not more injury, and good luck! Be careful!

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pic of the wooden wall the release dented...and where the arrow stuck in the wooden stud after going through my wife jacket that was hanging on the coat rack....we will see if she notices. Its very thick wool, so I just might get away with it. LOL:mg:

· Registered
1,595 Posts
man when i read the title of the thread i thought i was going to see a arrow through a hand or something.... glad you are ok and way to man up and not blame the equipment
I was thinking the same thing, So glad that you are ok....If that had happened to me other than the arrow and the release sticking in the wall, my wifes foot would have been sticking in my rear-end....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.