Archery Talk Forum banner

my bow shops suck!!!

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Champion Shootr 
#1 ·
i've been reading alot on this message board and have totaly enjoyed it...but the one thing i can't do in taking ya'lls advice is to go to a bow shop in my area and shoot a new bow! you can look at them but thats it...none of them have a demo that you can shoot...what's up with that? and they don't always shoot what they sell...they shoot what's been given to them. I always thought a good chevy sales person drove a chevy!

#2 ·
That does suck! It's also not very professional. If they don't have a demo set up to shoot, they should take any bow you want to try, put a rest and a sight on it and let you shoot it. Any good Chevy salesman would let you test drive a car you are interested in. I would tell the shop that you are not purchasing any bow until you have at least shot a few arrows first, and if he won't let you do it then take your business elsewhere. That's just poor service in my eyes. I even work at a bowshop and I know that's a fast way to lose customers. If he keeps it up, he will.

#3 ·
Test Bows

Find another pro shop shoot 3 or 4 bows.............

Buy the bow that feel best and user freeindly fits your hand draw etc

Bass Pro Shops have test bow and indoor range for you to test shoot bows I would never buy a bow without first shootingit TINK

#4 ·
tmike,

I have never been allowed to shoot a bow at any shop in my area.
One shop even has cables running thru each bow to prevent you from picking it up and dry firing it.
In a way I don't blame them.
I was at Galyans last month ans a guy dry fired 3 different Hoyt bows before the salesman told him it was dangerous.
Don't buy a bow at Galyans in Louisville!
The owner of one shop will let you shoot his personal bow or employee's bow, if they agree, but that's it.
Personally, I couldn't care less.
I only buy bows that, imo, have the best craftsmanship.
That means Bowman, Merlin, Barnsdale etc.
You're not likely to find a shop that stocks bows like that.
Besides, I know nothing else out there is going to draw as smooth, feel better, or shoot any better than those 3 bows.
No Martin dealers in Louisville so can't look at a Scepter 3.
From what my cousin told me, most Martin dealers don't stock the higher priced Martin bows.
I believe it's all mental anyway.
I bet 95% of archers buy a bow because they like the way it looks or because of the hype involved with it.
They believe the ads or want one because their favorite Pro uses one.
Not because they actually shot it and compared it against everything else out there.
Some guys may go to that much trouble but it's far and few between that actually do.
JMO. ;)

Sag.

#5 ·
Grew up around Galyans...

...and I'm not sure I would classify them as a "pro-shop." From my experience with the stores in Indianapolis, I would conclude that most of their sales people in their hunting/gun/archery departments are much more experienced in firearms than in archery. For expertise, I would find an exclusive archery shop.

That is a major bummer that you can't shoot bows before you buy, though. I'm not sure what the point of a shop would be in that case.

-----
Indychris

#6 ·
My dealer

He a long way to drive but worth the drive. He lets everyone in shop try the bow before buying. Just good buisness. Maybe thats why he and family have survived 29yrs. Good Bow shop priceless.

#7 ·
Same deal with my local pro shop. If I am looking at a bow on the rack, he will pull it down, set it up with a sight and rest, give me a couple of arrows and let me have at it. This weekend I even witnessed him change the cam on a Matthews for a guy that was just looking. The DL was a bit short so he put a longer DL cam on.

That ladies and geltlemen is service!

#8 ·
I've never been able to try out a bow before buying. Shop does have some bows to try out. Just none I like that are 50lbs with a 26 1/2 inch draw. He has to order my bow for me. I don't shoot 70lbs or have a 29" draw length.

#9 ·
I guess it depends on what you want.There was a time when I would buy the bow that felt the best and could shoot it before hand.Nowdays,I have a better idea of what I want and won't hesitate to order it sight unseen.
Wouldn't it be great if a person could find a shop and shoot all of the upper end brands?
Jerry

#10 ·
pro shops

I guess i'm lucky, all the shops in my area lets the customers shoot anything they have in stock. they put rest ,sight and stab. on the bows and go in the back and let them shoot, they also try to help out if they need it. I just thought ALL PRO SHOPS let you do this. GARY COFFEY

#11 ·
I haven't gone to my local pro shops in over a year. I've been doing everything over the internet or through catalogues. If there was a bow I was interested in, I'd have to ask some one I knew who had one to see if I could shoot it.

The pro shops in my area have lously service. I've ordered things that never came in.... and they would keep feeding me the line "it'll be in about two weeks".... one year and counting... still not in!!!! Wonder why some archers don't support their local pro shops.

:(

#12 ·
The shop I currently shoot for lets you shoot any bow in the place, thats the way it should be. When we first walked into the place my wife commented that she had always wanted to try, but never had the opportunity.

Within 5 minutes the shop owner had a bow set up for her, grabbed some arrows and took her over to the 20 yd. range. She thought that was the greatest thing in the world. Needless to say, 1 year later she is looking to buy a target bow so she has one for hunting and another for target.

That is one of the major reasons I love to work, shoot and just hang out there, because all the employees there are there to help anyone who needs it, and thats the way I think it should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.