Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we all have been reading and enjoying 5 Shots broadhead tests. From the heads I've tested and reading his reports of the same brands and models, I think we see these broadheads about the same.

I tend to do weirder tests. I know he uses an orange to determine how quickly the heads open and such. Well for this test I used a watermelon. LOL. Roughly the same diameter as a TN whitetail deer and it will definatly show whether the mechanicals open or not.

Tested the Rocky Mountain Snyper 100s and Muzzy 3 blade 100.

Shot the melon at 25 yds with a 370 grn arrow flying at 293 FPS. Both heads passed through....thus still proving that penetration is way over rated these days (stir stir stir...hehe :D) and that it's what it does ON ITS WAY through that counts.

Here's the Snyper results: entrance hole on the left and exit on the right. :

And here's the Muzzy results: entrance hole on the left and exit on the right:

As you can see, the Snyper did open and the cut on contact tip did leave a noticible cut upon initial impact. However these blades did not open as fast as I was thinking they would. I was under the impression that they would open upon impact and the entrance hole be the same diameter as the exit hole. That's how I read it to be at the Rocky Mountain website. I do not know how far into the melon that the blades actually swang into action and began the full 1"3/8 cut but it is obvious that the exit hole is much larger than the entrance.

But on the same token. Obviously the Muzzy is a fixed head and has a smaller cutting diameter....but definatly looks like your gonna get the same size hole upon entrance as you do upon exit. My only gripe about the Muzzy is that the blades only have about a Grade B sharpness rating, while the Rocky Mountains have an A+ in my book.

So that said...I believe if a broadhead was designed on the Muzzy frame but incorporated Rocky Mountain sharpness...than that would be a VERY good head. Fortunatly there is such a head. And you can go with two models. I ordered some 100 grn Rocky Mountain Advantage heads today and those are probably what I'll hunt with. I may keep a Snyper in my quiver in case I feel the "perfect" shot scenario is presented.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I wonder......

......if any broadhead "testers" have access to blocks of gelatin like they use in firearms testing ?? That would give a guy a pretty good indication of how soon a mechanical opens.....you would think ??!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Water melon, now I am hungry!:D That's about the way the test went with the orange as well. These materials are very soft and easy to puncture. The hide of a deer is a lot tougher and it it the Snyper will indeed fully open before it penetrates. Infact the entrance wounds are larger than the exit wounds!:eek: This has to do with how the swing open. The first deer I shot with one really confused me. I thought I get the holes backwards when I walked over to him, I had to contact Rocky Mtn and find out if this was typical. It was, but it's just something they don't promote. Now I need to go find a water melon, for eating:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now wrap the watermelon with a deer hide with fur still on it and see what happens. It is very hard to duplicate a live animal for testing puposes, but how a mechanical opens on an orange or watermelon isn't quite the same. I realize the purpose of the tests and it does give us some insight into how easily the blades open. Thanks guys for keeping the testing information flowing!

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D

Man alive you folks are a hard to please crowd :p

How bout we just go check the local paper for the animal giveaways and get some old decrepid-needs-to-be-put-down farm goats and shoot them and do a full scale autopsy :) That would be the closest to the actual simulation of a deer.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Well arkie and kildog are looking for a MULE hunt.... maybe y'all should get together with DT and make it happen...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Crow Terminator, I didn't mean to sound testy. The testing you have done is valuable, I just couldn't help wondering what the difference would be with some deer hair and hide. Got to keep ya busy don't we? :)

Thanks again,
Dwayne

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy that would be...."baaaaahhhddd" :D if PETA saw this wouldn't it. LOL

Dwayne -- you didn't sound testy to me. That's why all the smiley faces are in my post about the goats. Hehh.

I may find some bones laying around the yard that the dogs knaw on from time to time and shoot one of those and see how it does. Heheh. If the dogs will let me have one.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I used to have a wasp video where they actually tested their fixed and mech heads into a gelatin block.

It was very neat. I think they still sell the video.

I think the mech. heads went in further than the fixed. They make VERY good heads.

Rick

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
The only testing I did on Snypers was last year. I tested them on deer and was absolutly amazed at the size of the entrance wounds. They were oval shaped and huge! They obviously opened on entry. Now, where do I get tags for hunting melon?:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you found any of the gelatin blocks yet? this is very interesting for someone to test this and post the results we need to locate a gelatin block and request samples from many B.H company's and test penetration and what not this could be fun and a valuable learning experience if we work together

·
Registered
830 Posts
I has simular results with the rockey revoultion 2 years ago on a whitetail. I shot the dear at 15 yards from a treestand. The entrance hole was the size of a dime and the blades did not open but the exit hole was larger that a quarter. The dear ran off and with in seconds I heard it crash. Great blood trail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts