Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem, my arrows with broadheads simply wont group att all, the same arrows with fieldpoints are as tightgrouped as i can shoot them, but the ones with broadheads wont group at all?
i use Easton axis shafts with rocky mountian supreme XP broadheads and they drive me crazy, i get no patterns etc. they just wont group?
are these broadheads no good or?
ONE of the arrows with broadheads have the same group as the fieldpoints nomather the distance, the others just fly around....

-thankfull for any help

·
Registered
518 Posts
Did you spin check the broadheads to make sure they are on straight? swap the good flying BH to another shaft and see what happens.

CB

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Do what cajun says.... also, are the tips of your shafts perfectly square? It's very critical to get them square when using broadheads. I use the G5 Arrow Squaring Device to make sure all of my HIT arrows are perfectly square. It' helps out ALOT!

All of my broadheads hit in the exact same spot as my field points out to 80 yards.

-ZA

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,392 Posts
ZA206 said:
Do what cajun says.... also, are the tips of your shafts perfectly square? It's very critical to get them square when using broadheads. I use the G5 Arrow Squaring Device to make sure all of my HIT arrows are perfectly square. It' helps out ALOT!

All of my broadheads hit in the exact same spot as my field points out to 80 yards.

-ZA

Right on. With the HIT, the shaft without using the squaring tool IS NOT going to be square unless you have a super saw. Just got done squaring a dozen axis 400's with the G5 ASD. The diference is great. Squaring the nock side up also ensures all your nocks are the same. Even after squaring the 12 arrows, it's obvious four are not as straight as the other 8, that sucks. Square but still have a little wobble in the shaft itself. Have to feltch 'em up and see how they fly.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx. for the tips, i will try them out when i get home from my morning hunt tomorrow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm having the same problem today. Cant mis with field points. I just got some new arrows and a new whisker biscuit rest. I've been working on just getting all sighted in before my deer hunt this monday sept 4th. Stupid me waited till today to see how the broadhead fly. Magnus stingers fly Awful, Sonics fly a little better but not much. They're so tiny they should have worked fine.

the shop built the arrows not me, I dont have all the gear to build my own.

I'll have to go get me some mechanicals quick. Geez, I dont really like mechanicals!!!!! AAARRRRGGGG!!!!!

Hope you have a successful hunt.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Nito said:
i have a problem, my arrows with broadheads simply wont group att all, the same arrows with fieldpoints are as tightgrouped as i can shoot them, but the ones with broadheads wont group at all?
i use Easton axis shafts with rocky mountian supreme XP broadheads and they drive me crazy, i get no patterns etc. they just wont group?
ONE of the arrows with broadheads have the same group as the fieldpoints nomather the distance, the others just fly around....

-thankfull for any help
grouping broadheads? are you trying to lose your arrows?
shooting axis for 2 years using 150 gr arrow. not a single problem. about squaring thing? what the heck is that?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Zen Archery said:
shooting axis for 2 years using 150 gr arrow. not a single problem. about squaring thing? what the heck is that?
You want to make sure the cut on the end of the arrow is flat (perfectly perpendicular to the shaft itself), especially with the Axis since the broadhead sits against the shaft and not the insert.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try Rocket Ultimate Steel

I have tried a lot of broadheads and have found the Rocket Ultimate Steel to be about the closest to my fieldpoints. The only problem with them that I have heard of is having too short of a thread and coming lose. This is why I use AAA Fast set them and no problems. I can still unscrew them if I want, but they don't come lose in my quiver. They are also relatively cheap, but kind of a pain to put together.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
bullelkman said:
I have tried a lot of broadheads and have found the Rocket Ultimate Steel to be about the closest to my fieldpoints. The only problem with them that I have heard of is having too short of a thread and coming lose. This is why I use AAA Fast set them and no problems. I can still unscrew them if I want, but they don't come lose in my quiver. They are also relatively cheap, but kind of a pain to put together.
I've used them. They flew excellent. My problem with them was the blades. They didn't hold up very well for me.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,392 Posts
Zen Archery said:

This is a G5 Arrow Squaring Device (ASD)

You place the arrow in the grove and rotate it, against the abrasive (for carbon) or cutting edge (for aluminum inserts) until it is square with the shaft. I mark the end with a blue Sharpie, it still shows up against the black, then I turn the arrow until all the blue is gone. Bingo square end just waiting to seat a broadhead. I do the nock end also. Very fast and simple.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nito said:

-thankfull for any help

Hello,

Bh tuning is not that hard to do. First off, are you using an offset or helical on your vanes? That is important, as a straight fletch will not control bh flight. You want good arrow spin for proper flight...controlled by the vanes. The ASD device is worth every penny. Are your nocks tuned and aligned? How fast is your bow? fps? If the arrows are veering off at the last second before they hit the target...it is caused by Bh tom shaft alignment...you need to get an arrow spin tester OR better yet, and arrow/roller/straightner/dial indicator......I use the above mentioned tools and get my Bh align to .001

Make sure your arrow spine is close and there are no bad arrows or bent /damaged componets. With finely tuned bh tipped arrows...you should be fine.

Best of Luck!

Dave

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Your arrows as everyone said are probably not square. I shoot field points...and 4 arrows w/ 4 diff bh's Nap Nitron , wasp jak, spitfire, ad RM Gator. All hit home out to as far as i choose to shoot them.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
first of all i checked the fletching, and they had no angle, so i refletched them the same offset as i use to have, about 2mm., but still have the same problem, they are all over the target :(
will go out and try the rest of the tips.
I dont see how the arrow would spine differently with BH than with filedpoints? right or wrong?
i shoot a SB XT, #70, 30" 428,5 gr. , 29,45" Easton axis.

·
Registered
68 Posts
correction

bullelkman said:
The glue is AAE Fastset and not AAA just used it today to fletch some arrows for upcoming cow elk hunt in Arizona. :pukey:

·
Registered
937 Posts
does this bother anybody but me?

thx. for the tips, i will try them out when i get home from my morning hunt tomorrow.

im sorry but until my arrows are heat seeking missles that fly straight i WILL NOT head for the woods. i have too much respect for the animals that i am hunting to go into the woods with arrows that dont shoot straight.

just my opinion

1 - 20 of 28 Posts