Archery Talk Forum banner

My brothers 2005 PA bruin

1207 18
Feild dressed 402lbs estimated at 478lbs. Shot in Coudersport PA at 8:00 a.m. monday 11-21-05. It is the sixth bear that my father, brother and I harvested in the area since 1990. hope you enjoy the pics.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
10,353 Posts
Very nice bear! We sure know how to grow 'em in PA don't we :D

· Registered
10,965 Posts
aroflingr said:
Lots of people go to Canada and come home with smaller brears than that!!

Boy thats the truth! Excellent PA bear. Thanks for posting:thumbs_up

DJ

· Banned
10,353 Posts
For the record, there has been one bear over 600 lb. checked in this year in PA and 2 that have topped 700 lb. The largest being 747 lb. . That was just the absolute mammoths that are being reported, but I have seen and heard of a few guys shooting 400 lb.'ers as well. Supposedly PA set a record for number of bears harvested this year, so I am sure there are a lot more bruisers that will surface as time goes by.

I have never hunted bear in PA, but with the archery only season coming in next year, I just might give it a go. Congrats again to your brother!!!

· Registered
388 Posts
rifle

Hey, congrats to your brother!!!
-Is that a Browning BLR rifle? If it is - how does he like it? I am thinking about getting a BLR in. 308 abd would like some opinions.

Best Regards!

Janez

· Registered
477 Posts
ttt

mathewsk said:
Feild dressed 402lbs estimated at 478lbs. Shot in Coudersport PA at 8:00 a.m. monday 11-21-05. It is the sixth bear that my father, brother and I harvested in the area since 1990. hope you enjoy the pics.
AWESOME!!!!! Man what i would do for a chance to shot a bear. BTW nice to see i'm not the only Timber Tall fan..

· Registered
1,119 Posts
PA , what a state!....

It is incredible what the state of PA holds for the hunter. I have seen some monster bucks coming out of PA , being posted right here on this forum, We have seen some incredible bear pics, including yours(congrats), and you can even hunt Elk in PA. I mean this state is truly incredible for an eastern state.
My hat is off to all of you PA residents. You have some state to hunt in.
Really nice bear, I shot a 371 lb, Pope & Young class bear with the bow some years ago but your bear made it look small. Really nice bear congrats. Man did it fill the back of the pick up or what!!!?

That bear deserves a YEEHA!!!!

Great Huntin'
Joe Lorenti

By the way Drwfking.... I have a browning BLR,I have one from when they were still made in Belgium. It doesn't have a low a profile on the magazine , like the newer BLR's but it sure is a great quality gun. I also have it in .308 . Great short action. It truly is a great gun. Extrememly accurate, and strong action,with the locking lugs design Lever/ bolt. Light enough to walk miles during the day if you have to.
I just can't say enough for the gun. Do not hestiate to buy it ,it will serve you well.
150gr. balistic tip for normal size game and you can go to a 165 gr. Nosler Partition or something similar for bigger game, elk, moose, bear. Great gun and great round. Good luck. iIhave a vari X III Luepold scope on it, highly recommend it.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
weapon

He uses a marlin guide gun 45-70 gov't. he loves it, and hes uses 405 grain bullet.

· Banned
10,353 Posts
mathewsk said:
He uses a marlin guide gun 45-70 gov't. he loves it, and hes uses 405 grain bullet.

I thought that's what that gun was. I have always been fascinated with .45-70's ever since I saw Larry Weishun shoot a monster Canadian black bear with one when I was about 11. I'll probably never really have the use for one or the urge to hunt with it, but some day I'll more than likely own one lol.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Thats one big bear...Congrats to you brother. I wish i could've been there to shake his hand and lend a hand in help you guys get him out of the woods.

There was a 733 pounder shot about an hr from me and a guy i work with shot a #350 in Cameron Co.

Heard there was a record kill of over over 3,000 bears taken in the 3 day season.

· Registered
902 Posts
I saw

a ton of guys out hunting this year when I visited my parents for Thanksgiving. Went to the bear check station and only saw 4 bears, biggest about 300 lbs, but still fun for my son to see them.

I thought PA had the largest blackbears in the world, thats what we were told growing up there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.