Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little concerned becasue I have a nice 8 PT (not a monster, but bigger than any I have killed) who presents himself on camera only at night ( 10 PM) and early morn (3 and 4 AM) I am wondering......

Is it likely that this deer will continue with he same pattern, or will he likely change when the colder weather and the rut gets here?

Let me know your thoughts. There are doe in this spot and a few young bucks regularly, so Im homping the rut will bring this one in to me.
Thanx Isaac.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
If you think he ain't moving at all during 12 hrs of daylight think again. :wink:

He's not gonna go 12 hrs without a drink or eating.

You gotta find out where he's bedding and set up on the fringes of it.

He must be bedding close to food and water, (as do most bucks) and he may not be going far, but he gets up at some point, probably mid day.

You just have to make sure your in your stand when he does.

· Registered
520 Posts
I'd stay out and wait until the hard pre-rut scaping begins. Or hunt on the morning of the second or third day of a significant temperature drop. Find his bed, find the food, but now that they're hard horned, if he knows you're there he'll stay nocturnal or relocate.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
Killing a mature buck in the early season is very hard. If you look at the book or just watch videos, most of the mature deer in their areas get killed in Nov. I wouldnt get frustrated and overhunt your best spot. DONT OVERHUNT YOUR SPOT!!!!!!!!!! Just be patient. He will start to move more during shooting hours come the end of Oct.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Killing a mature buck in the early season is very hard. If you look at the book or just watch videos, most of the mature deer in their areas get killed in Nov. I wouldnt get frustrated and overhunt your best spot. DONT OVERHUNT YOUR SPOT!!!!!!!!!! Just be patient. He will start to move more during shooting hours come the end of Oct.

EXACTLY......................Problem Solved...........Too many people over hunt spots too early..

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Stay out of there till then.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I agree with lonestar for the most part. He does eat in the daytime for sure and he would be bedding down very near some food. I would be cautious about stinking up your area trying to find his bedding ground, as this could change his behavior in a negative way.Weather changes could change his behavior, for example; deer will usually feed heavily just before a storm and just after but this can depend on the severity of the storm. The rut will change his behavior for sure. If a mature buck is going to make a mistake, it's most likely during the rut. He'll be following his nose 24/7. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.