Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20200906_173554.jpg
Soooo....my dad has been learning to shoot a bow (at the age of 74), and has been shooting with me all summer. Today, we decided to practice shooting at a 3D target while seated inside a ground blind overlooking this feeder. He applied a BIT too much pressure to his thumb release while coming to anchor, and this was the result. That's a brand new Easton FMJ, by the way. He was a trooper about it! I told him I wouldn't tell anyone, so don't say anything...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Haha! I’m probably the only one on here who doesn’t recognize what that was. Always been a western elk hunter so haven’t ever been around game feeders.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I LOVE elk hunting, probably a little too much. But I am sometimes jealous of those who live where they have critters they can shoot at for more than a month out of the year.

·
Slinging Arrows
671 Posts
The feeder makes a great backstop. Expensive backstop, but it works.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Congrats to your dad on the trophy kill. lol That is awesome he can still hunt at that age. Keep making memories.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Welcome to the "Club of WayWard Shots"! I'm a proud member myself!

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
I LOVE elk hunting, probably a little too much. But I am sometimes jealous of those who live where they have critters they can shoot at for more than a month out of the year.
Ya, I don't think you want hogs on your property.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats to your dad on the trophy kill. lol That is awesome he can still hunt at that age. Keep making memories.
Believe me...I thank God he is out there with me making memories. He is LOVING shooting a bow. He just wishes he started 50 years ago, but I'm glad he's out with me pulling the string. We've had a big laugh out of the feeder shot!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those are some big pigs
And the hog problem has gotten worse. They just clear cut the 250 acres next to me and pushed a bunch of "new" hogs over onto our farm. The only good thing is that one of the contiguous property owners of a 1500 acre farm did an extensive trapping program over the course of a couple of years. They trapped all of the sounders, including (apparently) all of the sows, but MISSED a great many of the boars. As a result, every single hog we have on camera over the past year is a boar.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Typically when people hunt to feed their family, it's meat instead of corn.
If I had to hunt to feed my family, whether it was legal or not, I'd use corn to attract the meat. Baiting for deer is legal in Georgia, and baiting hogs is legal year-round.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If I had to hunt to feed my family, whether it was legal or not, I'd use corn to attract the meat. Baiting for deer is legal in Georgia, and baiting hogs is legal year-round.
I think you misunderstood. I was making a joke about him killing the feeder. ;)

I have no problem with the concept of baiting in any capacity, particularly for meat hunting. I can see the argument for "trophy" animals, but we basically use nature's bait anyway via waterholes, particular known areas of natural food plots, appealing to horny male cervids with bugles, mews, and grunts, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts