Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm a robotics engineer who recently found traditional archery. I'm quite interesting in the craftsmanship in fletching and bow making as well and decided to build a machine that I though might merge my engineering skills with my newfound hobby.
I'm sure you are all familiar with cresting jigs, this is similar, but utilizes a microcontroller and two stepper motors to apply the paint according to a digital design input. Think CNC machine for cresting.
I'm making this post to gauge the general interest in this sort of cresting as a service, or perhaps the machine as a product.
Here are some of the first arrows I've crested, I will post more finished designs as I make them if there is interest. Also, I'd like to hear your design ideas. What would you want to see on a custom crested arrow?
Thanks in advance
Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior Automotive design

Chair Wood Musical instrument Audio equipment Metal

Musical instrument Handwriting Office supplies Font Wood

·
Premium Member
8,581 Posts
Wow, that's really cool :)

I'm making this post to gauge the general interest in this sort of cresting as a service, or perhaps the machine as a product
Just guessing, the components are "off the shelf", which would make assembly faster and cheaper. ?? If so, my bet is you could sell quite a few to the shops that sell "custom arrows".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just guessing, the components are "off the shelf", which would make assembly faster and cheaper. ?? If so, my bet is you could sell quite a few to the shops that sell "custom arrows".
[/QUOTE

About half the components can be purchased online, the other half half I designed in CAD and 3D printed. I'd like to maybe eventually license it to archery shops, but in the meantime I plan on bringing it with me to local competitions and shows and sell "arrow tattoos" to gauge interest, build up my library of designs, and further improve the machine.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
there's been the ability to put complex designs on arrow wraps for a while, but at the end of the day it is still a fancy, custom sticker

this is something different

a lot of people will want arrows to commemorate certain things....like a whole dozen for your son's graduation with his name, date, and school colors...etc

really neat

·
YouThinkIcan't?!WatchMe
7,376 Posts
It's really cool. How thick of a layer of paint does it lay down? I would not like the paint layer to "hit" the arrow rest. Maybe you can make it so you can switch between print and laser head?

·
Can't keep em straight
5,119 Posts
Hello all,
I'm a robotics engineer who recently found traditional archery. I'm quite interesting in the craftsmanship in fletching and bow making as well and decided to build a machine that I though might merge my engineering skills with my newfound hobby.
I'm sure you are all familiar with cresting jigs, this is similar, but utilizes a microcontroller and two stepper motors to apply the paint according to a digital design input. Think CNC machine for cresting.
I'm making this post to gauge the general interest in this sort of cresting as a service, or perhaps the machine as a product.
Here are some of the first arrows I've crested, I will post more finished designs as I make them if there is interest. Also, I'd like to hear your design ideas. What would you want to see on a custom crested arrow?
Thanks in advance View attachment 7708380

View attachment 7708382

View attachment 7708381
I only understood about two words of that, but it looks nice and I'd be interested.
Will it work on aluminium?

The only "obstacles" I see, is that cresting is a pretty "trad" thing, and the people that want it have so far tended to just do it themselves as part of the experience.

Also, if it's to be licensed to shops- not sure how many would be technically capable and willing to work on customer-specific requests rather than prefab designs.
If it's going to be a third-party thing, it may sink or swim depending on how much shops charge for the service.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Very cool. I number my wood arrows, and have wondered about a way to integrate the numbers with the cresting. Just doing extra bans works for about 5, but not a whole dozen. The possibilities are endless with this.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts