1 pack of roller blade ABEC 7 roller bearings from Dick's Sporting Goods = $30
1 four foot long 1x4 pine board cut to 28" = $3
Miscellaneous steel brackets, bolts, kotter pin, nuts, washers , etc. = $55
5 hours of my time and labor putting this thing together = Free
Years and years of arrows tuned to perfection = Priceless
41 - 60 of 132 Posts

· Registered
2,656 Posts
could you do the same thing with an arrow straightner? just roll the shaft and read the gage.
Yes you can if you attach a weight to the arrow shaft.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm not sure that an arrow straightener would work that well.

When finding the stiff side of the arrow you would want the bearings to be as far apart as possible to get the most accurate reading.

An arrow straightener usually has the bearings placed fairly close together.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm not sure that an arrow straightener would work that well.

When finding the stiff side of the arrow you would want the bearings to be as far apart as possible to get the most accurate reading.

An arrow straightener usually has the bearings placed fairly close together.
It's just simple Fizzics to determine the proper weight for the distance between bearings. You would need a higher weight directly proportional with the loss of distance between bearings for the same amount of measured deflection.

On the plus side you could use the reduced distance to determine where along the shaft a weak spot might be. Don't know what you'd do with that info.

· Registered
972 Posts
A question for y'all:

About how much difference do you see between the weak side and the strong side of the shaft?

After spending $30 and a couple hours, I built a tester similar to this, but mounted vertically on a 2 X 10 board.

I did the 3 eyebolts trick with the 5/8 x 7" bolt with stacked washers coming down through the eyebolts. Shaft is held at the ends with eyebolts coming horizontally through the wood. After not being impressed by the results, I hung the weight by a wire on the shaft. I even clamped on a pair of vise grips (as extra weight) to see if that made a difference.

I could care less if actual spine = manufacturers stated spine, but simply wanted to find strong/weak side in order to index and fletch arrows.

Long story short, I saw about .003" difference between strong and weak side. (Easton ACC)

Are you kidding me? Time and money to find out a meaningless .003?

WHat results do you get?

· Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
A question for y'all:

About how much difference do you see between the weak side and the strong side of the shaft?

After spending $30 and a couple hours, I built a tester similar to this, but mounted vertically on a 2 X 10 board.

I did the 3 eyebolts trick with the 5/8 x 7" bolt with stacked washers coming down through the eyebolts. Shaft is held at the ends with eyebolts coming horizontally through the wood. After not being impressed by the results, I hung the weight by a wire on the shaft. I even clamped on a pair of vise grips (as extra weight) to see if that made a difference.

I could care less if actual spine = manufacturers stated spine, but simply wanted to find strong/weak side in order to index and fletch arrows.

Long story short, I saw about .003" difference between strong and weak side. (Easton ACC)

Are you kidding me? Time and money to find out a meaningless .003?

WHat results do you get?
.003" makes a huge difference at 40, 50 & 60 yards. If you index your arrows all the same way, they'll group much better.

· Registered
86 Posts
If you are using it to find the stiff side and have free wheeling bearings all you have to do is put the shaft on the end bearings and press down in the center of the shaft with the third set and the high side will roll to the top, no need for a gauge or weights.

· Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
If you are using it to find the stiff side and have free wheeling bearings all you have to do is put the shaft on the end bearings and press down in the center of the shaft with the third set and the high side will roll to the top, no need for a gauge or weights.
Yeaaaaaahhhhhhh...no. Roller bearings don't roll as easily as you may think.

· Registered
14,546 Posts
Yeaaaaaahhhhhhh...no. Roller bearings don't roll as easily as you may think.
Man everything people post that you dont like you just love to take stabs back at them dont you???? Nice pile of washers and metal!!!! quit being such a smart azz if you dont like what someone says, guy was just trying to point out another option, it may not be totally intended for you and your piece of whatever but maybe for someone else and their ideas. did you ever think about that???? Prolly not cause you think your little contraption is the best eh????

.003" makes a huge difference at 40, 50 & 60 yards. If you index your arrows all the same way, they'll group much better.
and you can simiply rotate arrows while shooting and index arrows also, but maybe youve never done that???? the difference in .003 straightness and the difference in his test under load and only difference of .003 is a big difference!! its not .003 on a resting shaft

· Registered
5,246 Posts
I'll give someone a trail camera if they want to build me one

· Registered
1,962 Posts
Guys I am not sure I understand the need for the spine deflection charts. If your dial indicator measures in thousandths, why do you need a conversion chart? If it deflects .400 is it not a 400 spine arrow? What am I missing here?

· Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Guys I am not sure I understand the need for the spine deflection charts. If your dial indicator measures in thousandths, why do you need a conversion chart? If it deflects .400 is it not a 400 spine arrow? What am I missing here?
An arrow won't deflect uniformly across it's entire circumference. One side may be stiffer than the other side due to the overlap of material when the carbon fibers are rolled into a tube. In order to get all your arrows to fly consistently from your bow, they should all have their stiff side oriented the same way.

· Registered
1,962 Posts
LI, I am aware of the differing deflection around the circumference of the arrow shaft. I was refering to your post number 19 that was reffering to post #18. I dont understand why you would need the "spine-deflection chart" that is in the thread link in post #18. Thanks for your response but that "spine-deflection chart" still doesnt make any sense to me.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Nice work... I've been pressing my arrows to locate the spine. this looks like it may be easier to do...Thanks for posting it up...JW

41 - 60 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.