Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hunting on south florida public land when I finally got my first buck by way of stick and string.
After a weekend of no luck, it was the last day of the hunt. Previously I had only seen 2 shooter bucks, a couple of tiny guys, and a bunch of does. I stalked on a small 8pt on sunday, but ran out of light. I also stalked a 6pt for a little over an hour earlier in the day. Across ditches, ponds, fields and through oak heads with mosquitoes disguised as hummingbirds following me every step of the way. After many attemps I could only get to about 65 yds. Well things happen for a reason...

IMAG0399.jpg
muddy from the pond drag

I was only hunting a half day, and it was around noon, so I was making my way to the check station to head home. Always looking for deer, I see two feeding on the opposite side of this flag pond. So I stop and glass them. To my suprise the biggest deer (rack size) I had ever seen while hunting was chowing down in the middle of the day. Somehow I had the nerve to take the time and text my buddy that I was "Going after the biggest buck I've ever seen". So for the next hour I leave him in limbo wonder if I was having any luck. The big guy was only about 100 yds from the road, but I had to make somewhat of a circle to get the wind in my favor. So I slowly crawled, hands and knees across this flag pond 10- 15 yds at a time. Popping up ever so slightly just to make sure all was still good. At first it was a little wet, by the time I got into postion I had gone through water about a foot and a half deep. Remember on my hands and knees it was almost waist deep. Everthing I had on me was wet except my hat. My bow was fully under water at times, binos completely dripping with water, and my rangefinder completely soaked. I finally get to about 40 yds and wait for him to give me a good shot. He had no idea what was about to go down. He was slowly moving my way while he was feeding. I continued to wait for a good shooting angle. He finally turns, I draw back and let it fly. 32 yd shot, quartering slightly away. I hit him a little back, but got at least one lung. He runs about 20 yds, turns, and stares right at me. Noticing the blood further back than had would have liked I nock another arrow. Ready to take another shot, then he stumbles a few steps then flops over.

IMG_2808.jpg
Main Frame Eight, Measured at 111 3/8 unofficially
IMG_2815.jpg

A special thanks to eorlando for being such a great freind and hunting buddy. Also for helping cape, and measure this south florida swamp buck.
Another thanks to sharky3811 for also helping cape and measure the deer.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Nice buck! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Congrats. Many more to you.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
congrats

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nice buck! great job and congratulations!

·
UNCLE RUT
3,787 Posts
Sweet! Congrats on your 1st!!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
congrats nice buck

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
CONGRATS! He's a beautiful trophy for sure and you took some great pix.... a Buck to be proud of!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Great Buck. Having a tough time getting the right shot makes it even more of a Great Hunt!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Awesome story and buck. Man I was in shock when I moved to NC from Ohio between the body size difference, but those are some small bodied deer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great story! Everything underwater.....that's awesome!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts